Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
Hi Brian. Thanks for the welcome. My hybrid has been great for getting me into cycling, I love it still. I haven't used it since getting the road bike, but I think I will switch back to it now and again to help with training :smile:

I have and electra townie that is sold as a "comfort bike" and a drop bar bike, I like the drop bar bike best but I like and ride the townie about as much. It is fun to ride and works some muscles differently than the drop bar bike. It is also nice to have a couple of few bikes around in case one breaks down. :smile:

I have and electra townie that is sold as a "comfort bike" and a drop bar bike, I like the drop bar bike best but I like and ride the townie about as much. It is fun to ride and works some muscles differently than the drop bar bike. It is also nice to have a couple of few bikes around in case one breaks down. :smile:
Hows that storm.

RWright

Guru
Hows that storm.
Storm is hitting north of me. Just been very windy all day and some light rain. I worked out in the wind for about 10 hrs today to finish a job and didn't ride. It's ok though, I haven't taken a day off from riding for a little while.

The storm is coming on land around the Wash DC to NYC area now. I am chatting online with some of my friends from that area now and they still have power, so, so far so good. We get one more day of wind here tomorrow then things get back to normal I think.

Sally McSorley

Regular

Has anyone tried and tested these in dark country lanes where there are no street lights? I bought some Cateye lights, which seemed pretty bright when I turned them on at home, but once out round the lanes, where there are no road markings, no street lights and in wooded areas, they were not bright enough really. Both my husband and I nearly ended up in the bushes a few times, lol.

Sally McSorley

Regular
I had a very busy weekend and hectic day today so I'm just catching up with this thread now. Some really amazing rides here! I've had to send out a lot of kudos to you all. ;) Oh and welcome Sally. :smile:

I should be able to squeeze in a ride tomorrow. Not sure if I'll have time for a long one but fingers crossed. As the clocks have gone back that's pretty much buggered any chance I have of riding in the light during the week apart from on Tuesdays, so I've ordered myself a turbo trainer that I can use on weeknights. I'll probably only manage about 20 mins at a time before getting horribly bored but it's better than nothing!

Hi thanks for the welcome. I would be interested to hear about the turbo trainer when you get it. Night riding is a little risky where I live due to lack of street lights, dark wooded areas and no road markings!

Sally McSorley

Regular
Well Sally, I do pretty well against the women too, and not the men. The other thing about doing the same route/roads is you know whats coming s o can plan how to take the hills ect, on an unknown road/route, you will be slower because you dont know it, even with the trial on the garmin I still sometimes miss a junction and have to go back which slows you, if I do 30 miles to the east of here I know them pretty well (and its flat) if I go west I dont know them so well though I am learning, also towm traffic slows you too, and I have done a bit of that of late.
This is the segment I told you about.

Hey, good going! :smile: I see you are regularly doing some decent distances. I signed myself and the husband up for a 74 mile sportive last night. Its the wiggle french revolution one. Its not till next summer so plenty of time to train and gives us something to focus on achieving :smile:

Has anyone tried and tested these in dark country lanes where there are no street lights? I bought some Cateye lights, which seemed pretty bright when I turned them on at home, but once out round the lanes, where there are no road markings, no street lights and in wooded areas, they were not bright enough really. Both my husband and I nearly ended up in the bushes a few times, lol.
I am going to get some next wk, but from what I understand there are pretty good for the price.
You should breeze it by then.
Storm is hitting north of me. Just been very windy all day and some light rain. I worked out in the wind for about 10 hrs today to finish a job and didn't ride. It's ok though, I haven't taken a day off from riding for a little while.

The storm is coming on land around the Wash DC to NYC area now. I am chatting online with some of my friends from that area now and they still have power, so, so far so good. We get one more day of wind here tomorrow then things get back to normal I think.
I havent seen one come in that far north, how often does that happen.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Hi thanks for the welcome. I would be interested to hear about the turbo trainer when you get it. Night riding is a little risky where I live due to lack of street lights, dark wooded areas and no road markings!

I live in a small village too so it's the same for me. Plus lots of the roads are single track with passing places. In the hundreds of thousands of miles I've driven I've only seen 1 cyclist late at night round here whereas I see loads every day in the daytime. To be fair though he had about 20 yellow lights on the back of his bike so I saw him a mile off when I was coming up behind him. I slowed right down to about 10mph. I thought I was either coming up behind a tractor or a UFO. :laugh: Was shocked when I saw he was a cyclist.

There are people on here who cycle on country lanes at night but I don't really fancy it. Perhaps at 6-8pm it'd be ok as people are expecting commuters but I am still driving home myself at that time. Late at night people bomb around here and I'll feel a lot safer just using the turbo. It seems like a lot less hassle to just step onto the bike in my casual clothes and pedal then it is to put on all my lycra, attach and switch on loads of lights etc too. Wiggle generally deliver pretty quickly so hopefully I will have it tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let you know how I get on. :smile:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Well I had a go with Strava on today's circuit.

http://app.strava.com/rides/26474918

Let me know if this works please.

Yep that works fine, nice one Brian. :smile:

I have just been out but once again I feel awful. :sad: I don't know what's wrong with me at the moment. I just have no energy for anything. Maybe I am just trying to do too much. I already work 60 hours a week and have to drive 300-500 miles a week too. Anyway I managed my normal training loop and another little mini loop to take it to 20 miles but that's it:

http://app.strava.com/rides/26483232

My average speed hasn't increased for a month which is a bit disappointing too. I think that's in part down to the fact that I no longer stop though. I used to take regular short breaks, perhaps 10-15 minutes worth for every hour of cycling but now I only stop at junctions which isn't much on my route.

I think I'll stick to the turbo trainer for a bit. I'm going to do a little bit each day rather than keep trying to fit in long rides on Tuesdays and Saturdays. It should benefit me to vary my training which I will do more on the turbo trainer i.e. more slower riding in a lower heart rate zone. I just tend to go for it when I'm out on the road and perhaps that is what is making me ill. Prior to August I hadn't done any exercise in 6 years because of a serious car accident I was in which permanently damaged my back. So I imagine it's quite a big shock to the system for my body. Just being outside in the cold is a shock to it to be honest!

Besides, the main reason I took up cycling was to lose weight. Fitness is secondary. And I am doing that and the TT will help even more as I think a little exercise often is better for weight loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom