Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the iPhone you don't need all that. I only have one device to take with me and charge, and I always have the phone for emergencies and such. I don't need to connect the phone to the computer since it's uploaded automatically to final destination from the phone and no need to backup either since the cloud provider takes care of that and offer historical access to all original data. It's a free service too and the app is £2.99.

There is the cost of the iPhone to consider but if you already have that, then it's difficult to justify Garmin. Battery can last several hours, I'm guessing 3-4h maybe but for those longer trips, an external battery pack can get easily over 10-12h if not more.
Same old argument, I would never use a mobile phone for serious photography (even though they are capable of good quality image), they are not water proof, and if dropped tend to brake, I dropped my garmin down stairs the other day, lets see a smart phone survive that, it's been dropped on hard surfaces too, one cycle comp I had even left the bike at speed (not due to the fitting, but because I knocked it), I do my own backups because I dont trust others to do it, (it comes from backing up my photos, and always having the original untouched), and have you seen the price for on-line storage for 3+TB of data, not to mention transfer speeds (and we have B.T. infinity at 35Mb most of the time)
If your battery dies it's not much use in an emergency.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
No progress today - it is raining, very windy and the garden weather station thingy is showing 6C.

Accuweather radar just shows a great swirling vortex over the North of England.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/kendal/la9-4/weather-radar/322476

Awful day!

hope some of you had better ones!
It's better in South Wales. I'm hoping to escape from work early to get out on the bike.

MaxInc

No progress today - it is raining, very windy and the garden weather station thingy is showing 6C.

Accuweather radar just shows a great swirling vortex over the North of England.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/kendal/la9-4/weather-radar/322476

Awful day!

hope some of you had better ones!

Last night was freaky around here, winds so strong that I kept waking up because of the creaking roof. Morning was pretty chilly and still windy ... pretty depressing for this time of the year.

MaxInc

Same old argument, I would never use a mobile phone for serious photography (even though they are capable of good quality image), they are not water proof, and if dropped tend to brake, I dropped my garmin down stairs the other day, lets see a smart phone survive that, it's been dropped on hard surfaces too, one cycle comp I had even left the bike at speed (not due to the fitting, but because I knocked it), I do my own backups because I dont trust others to do it, (it comes from backing up my photos, and always having the original untouched), and have you seen the price for on-line storage for 3+TB of data, not to mention transfer speeds (and we have B.T. infinity at 35Mb most of the time) If your battery dies it's not much use in an emergency.

Old or new, it is still a valid argument ;) The best device is the one that serves you best and some people will be better served by a stand alone device while others by a smart phone.Either solution works perfectly well.

MaxInc

Only worth mentioning that the App will stop tracking GPS and sensor data once the battery level goes down to 10% so you will still have phone available for the next few hours just for this particular scenario.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Ive always personally believed in always using a tool that was made for the job, rather than a jack of all trade, so that is why I switched to my Garmin 800. Has done me great, all sensors in one place, 16 hrs battery life, water resistant, light, has maps so turn by turn navigation is possible etc etc

Having said that a smartphone with a Biologic bike mount, sensors with BT connectivity and an external battery pack fitted would do the job just as well, albeit more of a fuss getting it all fitted to the bike. Shorter rides wouldn't present any real problem, just get a decent water resistant bike mount. Anything over 2 hours though with multiple bluetoothed devices, gps running and maps if your running that, I doubt a smartphone would last battery wise.

For me, the HR monitor has been brilliant for the Edge, have seen negligible speed increased over time, but have seen my average heart rate drop over 20 bpm over longer distances, so while I don't feel that much better on the outside, I know inside I'm getting fitter!

But use what suits you best, in your own circumstances.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Just got my gumf through for my first charity ride, I have left it late as I didn't want to commit to something I wouldn't do. So roll on Sunday and riding with others for the first time in 25 years, no backing out now. I know I can do the distance so I suppose I should just get on with it. If anyone else is doing the Prince of Wales Hospice Ride Good Luck!!

Gaz.

Only worth mentioning that the App will stop tracking GPS and sensor data once the battery level goes down to 10% so you will still have phone available for the next few hours just for this particular scenario.
Pretty cool. I agree with he statement above too, Jack of All trades ect springs to mind too.
I used Endomondo on the N95 (and this is probably more down to the GPS chip) it's tracking sometimes was quite wayward, at least with the Garmin I don't need to worry about charging the phone, as I don't use it now, but it got some of my earlier rides recorded, though I did have to correct quite a few in Sporttracks.

Leescfc79

Über Member
I love my garmin, I have the 200 but I'm going to upgrade to the 510 for my Birthday in June as I want HR and cadence, I'm pretty sure my iphone would do a good enough job at recording rides but I also like the fact I can follow a breadcrumb route for areas I'm not sure about (I planned and followed a 100km route on it with no problems a couple of weeks ago).

If I'm honest though I have no real need to upgrade to the 510 (the 500 would be fine and £100 cheaper) but I love my gadgets and if it encourages me to ride more I think it's money well spent.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Same old argument, I would never use a mobile phone for serious photography (even though they are capable of good quality image), they are not water proof, and if dropped tend to brake, I dropped my garmin down stairs the other day, lets see a smart phone survive that, it's been dropped on hard surfaces too, one cycle comp I had even left the bike at speed (not due to the fitting, but because I knocked it), I do my own backups because I dont trust others to do it, (it comes from backing up my photos, and always having the original untouched), and have you seen the price for on-line storage for 3+TB of data, not to mention transfer speeds (and we have B.T. infinity at 35Mb most of the time)

I use a Satmap GPS, bit bulky, but they are bomb proof, I've even smashed one up in a crash and it still worked

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Well despite my previous post extolling the virtues of dedicated machines, my HR monitor failed to properly collect all data for todays ride! D-OH.

Don't know what happened, going to assume my base layer pulled the contact strap off its place or something, hopefully this is a one off - although I liked the idea I did average of 70bpm...

Weird day in all, the new tyres felt nice, more comfort, but I wouldn't go out and say they added anything to my feeling of movement. Did feel stickier though so that is something. 15.5mph wind in my face going anticlockwise along the Sawyers Hill part of Richmond Park was nice (!) although I pulled a PR there still.

Hit masses of traffic right at the point I should have been picking up speed downhill from Kingston, so Im taking my 13.8 average MPH with a big pinch of salt. Got bad again in Wimbledon so did a detour to Evans to pick up some stuff, by that point I didn't care less what my speed was lol.

Also, the deer in Richmond Park were all gathered along the roadside which was unusual, normally they chill out about 100 yards from the road inwards or outwards, they were even down by the entrance gate which I found unusual (though in truth this pic is just me showing my new blue wheels of doom). Maybe this is a seasonal thing?

http://app.strava.com/activities/54359118

img1818th.jpg

Still not sure about them blue wheels with a silver bike, maybe should have gone with the digital blue (cyan).

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Thought I'd set up the 'automatically copy route to Strava' thing through Garmin connect. Apparently I haven't as my latest rides aren't uploaded

Only just realised this and I'm now without my laptop for a few days. Grrrr! Hey ho, life is too short to worry unnecessarily and it's not the end of the world

<sigh>

But still smiling :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom