Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyM

Über Member
Hello peoples. newbie to this part of the forum. Only taken cycling up in the last 4 weeks or so, after never having been on a bike for a dozen years!

I'm training for a hilly 63 mile charity ride at end of June. I've so far recorded 13, 13, 17, 24, 25 and 30 miles, which I don't think is too bad from scratch. I've got a cross bike, not a road bike, so I'm not as fast as I could be. Averaging 11-13 mph.

http://app.strava.com/activities/53758257

I'm still a bit worried by the hills in this charity ride, as there are over 1,200 metres of ascent, and I am struggling on hills. The most I have done was on the 24 mile ride, of just over 500 metres and it damn near killed me!

I think I am doing the same ride (in june) and live about 1 mile from you if you fancy a ride out sometime. I am actually doing some of the route this Sat if you fancy?

Thanks Nigel,

Getting easier each time I head out :smile:

Aiming to break 100 for the week, fingers crossed!
You should manage that without to much trouble.
I am comparing with others on Strava but to be inspired not to compete. If a lady can climb that hill in half my best time, there's certainly room for improvement :smile: And if another 500 out of 510 can ride faster than me, I can certainly do better so it helps me push forward and not focus on finding excuses :smile:
This maybe true, but at the end of the day as Chris says, the only times that are important are your own, as it really is a personal progress and fitness, some of the riders have been riding years, and there are some dam fine female riders around.
I got drenched last night in the most horrific downpour, tonight was 20 miles of constant rain
The last time I got miserably wet, was on the way to London in 2008, I was doing a little bit of a charity ride for missing people, (and to do the W.N.B.R. in London), as it was for missing people I decided to sleep rough, (under bushes in open field ect.), I had no way of drying things out properly, it wasn't so bad during the day, but it wasn't so great if you woke up wet, it took ages to get going, but it was June so it was hardly cold.
I went for a nice trail run this evening, a friend from my cycling club is chairman of a new local running club and he has been trying to get me to come along for a couple of months. I have always shied away thinking that I would not be good enough. Well anyway I went along tonight as they were having a steady run as most are racing tomorrow. We ended up doing about 4 miles of trail running through some local woods.
I must say that I found it most enjoyable and will be going back again.
I took along my cycling garmin edge 500 which I have used for running before with no problems but this time when I entered my data on garmin connect it said I had done 3.65 miles and strava said 4.7 miles, how can this be surely both sites are using the same data so why the difference?
Try exporting from garmin connect as a tcx and re-uploading to strava, I think strava may have problems with the fit file format, it might explain differences in elevation, but then again that could just be strava.

J4MIE_P

I went for a nice trail run this evening, a friend from my cycling club is chairman of a new local running club and he has been trying to get me to come along for a couple of months. I have always shied away thinking that I would not be good enough. Well anyway I went along tonight as they were having a steady run as most are racing tomorrow. We ended up doing about 4 miles of trail running through some local woods.
I must say that I found it most enjoyable and will be going back again.
I took along my cycling garmin edge 500 which I have used for running before with no problems but this time when I entered my data on garmin connect it said I had done 3.65 miles and strava said 4.7 miles, how can this be surely both sites are using the same data so why the difference?

Out of curiosity is it worth buying these Garmin devices, not a good example here, but does it offer anything special over my smartphone and cycle computer?

MaxInc

Out of curiosity is it worth buying these Garmin devices, not a good example here, but does it offer anything special over my smartphone and cycle computer?

Convenience mostly since it gathers all data in one place. I personally use the iPhone in the back pocket with wireless HR and Speed & Cadence sensors attached via BT. It syncs data wirelessly to Strava, Daily Mile, Facebook etc. so no messing around with cables. Can't think of any reasons of why I would need a Garmin ... I'm sure someone around here could provide more insight.

Easier to mount on the handle bars/Stem, easier to connect H.R. and Sp/Cad sensors (though I believe not impossible on some phones)
Using a speed sensor helps with some wayward readings whilst stationary, also no excessive speed readings i.e. 50mph+, timings are also a little more accurate on segments on strava, but as a general how you've done for average speed and distance very little.
I don't utilise mine as much as I could, but I can see from my H.R. readings since Jan how much fitter I am, in that I never reach the same H.R. for any of the rides I did then to now.

Convenience mostly since it gathers all data in one place. I personally use the iPhone in the back pocket with wireless HR and Speed & Cadence sensors attached via BT. It syncs data wirelessly to Strava, Daily Mile, Facebook etc. so no messing around with cables. Can't think of any reasons of why I would need a Garmin ... I'm sure someone around here could provide more insight.
The garmin connects to the computer as an external device, so files are easy to transfer and back up. I keep two copies of my rides on separate hard drives. It's as simple as drag and drop, that way you have a copy of the unaltered data, which all website change to some degree, especially if you export it.

Ciar

Veteran
I was up for buying a garmin, nearly did but I ended up going to Iphone direction, bought a wahoo blue sc, connected it via bluetooth, mainly using cyclemeter app, but I also have strava.. last night did my first turbo training sessions using app + sensor and It was brilliant, could finally see what i was upto.. only downside is when I uploaded the data into strava from my cyclemeter gpx file it was completly wrong.. so next time I will run both apps and see what the outcome is ;-)

but all in all i knocked out the following

37.43 ride time
9.41 miles
av spd 14.97
top spd 19.88
ascent 68ft
descent 69ft
max cadence 106 rpm
avg cadence 83 rpm

I can tell you it felt like 37.43m of riding through treacle or a bloody long hill ;-)

GPX files don't generally contain H.R. data, T.C.X. files do.
I forgot battery life, the 500 will last easily 12 hours with the light on low, and upto 18 hours without.

MaxInc

only downside is when I uploaded the data into strava from my cyclemeter gpx file it was completly wrong.. so next time I will run both apps and see what the outcome is ;-)

Like Nigel said, GPX has only GPS coordinates, not may when you train inside but Cyclemeter can export / send ITX files by email which you can upload to Strava and they will provide all the sensor data you need.

MaxInc

The garmin connects to the computer as an external device, so files are easy to transfer and back up. I keep two copies of my rides on separate hard drives. It's as simple as drag and drop, that way you have a copy of the unaltered data, which all website change to some degree, especially if you export it.

On the iPhone you don't need all that. I only have one device to take with me and charge, and I always have the phone for emergencies and such. I don't need to connect the phone to the computer since it's uploaded automatically to final destination from the phone and no need to backup either since the cloud provider takes care of that and offer historical access to all original data. It's a free service too and the app is £2.99.

There is the cost of the iPhone to consider but if you already have that, then it's difficult to justify Garmin. Battery can last several hours, I'm guessing 3-4h maybe but for those longer trips, an external battery pack can get easily over 10-12h if not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom