Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just back from a 13 mile jaunt, respectable 16.9avg (for me anyway). No pins and needles in my feet this morning just a dull ache in my right foot, I think that cleat is out a bit, as the right shoe just rubs on the crank arm a bit. So maybe the seat up helped a bit.
I'm going to trawl youtube for some cleat set up guides this morning but I suspect I'm just going to apply rule 5! As I'm not going to give up on them.
Hope you eventually get them nice and comfy. Nothing worse than something niggling away.

I am enjoying my second day off. Partly because my body needs it, partly because of the weather and also the gears have been playing up a bit and I think I managed to make them even worse so just back from Perth putting it into the bike shop for a service and check up and maybe a new chain if he thinks it needs it. Hopefully it will be running much better when I get it back. Thinks he will have it ready for tomorrow. Great little firm been established for years. Wish I could afford to put more business their way but money is a bit tight.

If it is nice tomorrow morning might just have a pootle on the hybrid. I've decided to cut back a wee bit on the mileage. Can't afford to replace parts too often doing big miles and wearing components out too quickly.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Hope you eventually get them nice and comfy. Nothing worse than something niggling away.

I am enjoying my second day off. Partly because my body needs it, partly because of the weather and also the gears have been playing up a bit and I think I managed to make them even worse so just back from Perth putting it into the bike shop for a service and check up and maybe a new chain if he thinks it needs it. Hopefully it will be running much better when I get it back. Thinks he will have it ready for tomorrow. Great little firm been established for years. Wish I could afford to put more business their way but money is a bit tight.

If it is nice tomorrow morning might just have a pootle on the hybrid. I've decided to cut back a wee bit on the mileage. Can't afford to replace parts too often doing big miles and wearing components out too quickly.

I'm getting to the stage where I need to put on the second new chain of the year onto my hybrid and possibly a new cassette as well (last one being I think last November)

I was just looking online at chains, does the cassette dictate which chain you need? Any recommendations or is it just you get what you pay for?
To some degree, you can use 9sp chains on 8sps, and vica-versa (I think, but more chance of chain rub on the front mech),sprocket width for an 8sp is 1.8mm 9sp 1.78mm, not sure about 10sp on 9sp's the difference between the sprockets is 0.18mm compared with 0.02mm 8-9sps.
I use a mix of 7 and 8sp sprockets on my rear, and its pretty much fine, sometimes need to trim it a little.

Raleigh_Grifter

Hello peoples. newbie to this part of the forum. Only taken cycling up in the last 4 weeks or so, after never having been on a bike for a dozen years!

I'm training for a hilly 63 mile charity ride at end of June. I've so far recorded 13, 13, 17, 24, 25 and 30 miles, which I don't think is too bad from scratch. I've got a cross bike, not a road bike, so I'm not as fast as I could be. Averaging 11-13 mph.

http://app.strava.com/activities/53758257

I'm still a bit worried by the hills in this charity ride, as there are over 1,200 metres of ascent, and I am struggling on hills. The most I have done was on the 24 mile ride, of just over 500 metres and it damn near killed me!

Hello peoples. newbie to this part of the forum. Only taken cycling up in the last 4 weeks or so, after never having been on a bike for a dozen years!

I'm training for a hilly 63 mile charity ride at end of June. I've so far recorded 13, 13, 17, 24, 25 and 30 miles, which I don't think is too bad from scratch. I've got a cross bike, not a road bike, so I'm not as fast as I could be. Averaging 11-13 mph.

http://app.strava.com/activities/53758257

I'm still a bit worried by the hills in this charity ride, as there are over 1,200 metres of ascent, and I am struggling on hills. The most I have done was on the 24 mile ride, of just over 500 metres and it damn near killed me!
You've done very well so far, though you are looking at double the time in the saddle you have done so far, spend as much time riding as you can, but do some short hard climbs, and some more relaxed ones, the only way to overcome hills, is to do them as often as possible.

Raleigh_Grifter

You've done very well so far, though you are looking at double the time in the saddle you have done so far, spend as much time riding as you can, but do some short hard climbs, and some more relaxed ones, the only way to overcome hills, is to do them as often as possible.

Thanks Nigel. I think I am doing ok so far all in all. I've started another thread about the hills on this bike, as I used to quite enjoy them as a younger man. I guess I'll find out in the next few weeks just how tough the hills are going to be on the day.

We will no doubt have breaks on the day, but 5½ hours in the saddle is probably a completely different beast to what I've done.

What sort of time in the saddle do you reckon I would need to reach in training order to be able to do the event ok? I was thinking 4½ hours and maybe mid 50's miles?

Well taking an average of 12mph 4 1/2hrs 54 miles. I wasn't doing that after just 6 rides, even now I dont often do 50+ miles (but it's a separate issue), remember to rest a few days before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom