Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
Great club ride today, 70.3 miles in 3:56:31 at 17.8 mph
http://app.strava.com/activities/52474184

This was my first club ride as group leader so I was a little nervous before the start.
Our new club kit had turned up during the week so this was our first ride looking the part.
Leading the ride makes it much tougher instead of tucking into the pack and letting some of the better riders lead the way I had to be up front for the first 25 miles or so directing the others through the route I had planned. :heat:

Once we were over the River Trent the route just followed the river so I could have a bit of rest a few places back.^_^

I had ridden most of the route in the week so that no school boy errors were made and though I say it myself all went very well, many of the riders commented to me positively after the ride which helped my ego no end.:biggrin:

The average speed was quite high but the ride was quite flat with several long stretches where we worked as a group and pushed each other along and we also have a very good rider in the group who can take the lead for long stretches and let the rest of us tuck in.:bicycle:

Looking forward to next weeks ride, we are riding out to the Humber bridge should be between 85 and 90 miles with my ride to and from the shop I should get close to my first 100 mile ride. (I might have to ride the long way home just to get there if I am close)

boybiker

Guru

This was my first club ride as group leader so I was a little nervous before the start.
Our new club kit had turned up during the week so this was our first ride looking the part.
Leading the ride makes it much tougher instead of tucking into the pack and letting some of the better riders lead the way I had to be up front for the first 25 miles or so directing the others through the route I had planned. :heat:

Once we were over the River Trent the route just followed the river so I could have a bit of rest a few places back.^_^

I had ridden most of the route in the week so that no school boy errors were made and though I say it myself all went very well, many of the riders commented to me positively after the ride which helped my ego no end.:biggrin:

The average speed was quite high but the ride was quite flat with several long stretches where we worked as a group and pushed each other along and we also have a very good rider in the group who can take the for long stretches and let the rest of us tuck in.:bicycle:

Looking forward to next weeks ride, we are riding out to the Humber bridge should be between 85 and 90 miles with my ride to and from the shop I should get close to my first 100 mile ride. (I might have to ride the long way home just to get there if I am close)

Well done on leading your first ride. I train a lot of my own so I find club/group rides easy because as you say you can tuck in behind someone when you get a bit tiered.

Good luck on your 100 miler that has got to be my next distance goal as I'm running out of distance goals for one day. :thumbsup:

SWSteve

Guru

The average speed was quite high but the ride was quite flat with several long stretches where we worked as a group and pushed each other along and we also have a very good rider in the group who can take the lead for long stretches and let the rest of us tuck in.:bicycle:

Congratulations on leading your first ride. :bravo:

Reece

Veteran
So finally got my first 100miler in today. And a very hilly one at that. Most feet climbed by far and Beacon Hill after 73miles for the first time up it is NO fun haha. Ride included "The Tour of the National Forest" sportive. A very well organized and enjoyable day (apart from a 2 iffy signposts that could easily be missed!

http://app.strava.com/activities/52494691

One challenge left now (which should be easy after today) is the Leicester to Skegness charity ride on the 1st of June. This was my first goal and why I started cycling last August. Once this is out the way I need to find more goals to work towards.

Billy Adam

https://www.strava.com/activities/52434020 nice 72 miles this morning.
y3uza3ez.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well, the rain stopped, we beat MUFC so I went for a small celebratory ride. :smile:

Was dithering as to whether or not to go as tbh I am a tad knackered after a long day in the hills yesterday (9hrs 46mins and 13 miles with 6200' of ascent/descent)

But I thought sod it! You're along time dead. And off I went.

This short ride was the first ever on my new bike and I have now done it 5 times in total. Bit hilly in places but nothing major.

Well chuffed with my progress albeit not astonishing it is slow and but sure. Softly, softly catchee monkey and all that!

16/11/2012 7.51 miles / 0:38:52 / 11.59 mph
18/11/2012 7.51 miles / 0:37:50 / 11.91 mph
16/02/2013 7.51 miles / 0:37:42 / 11.95 mph
13/03/2013 7.51 miles / 0:33:37 / 13.40 mph
05/05/2013 7.51 miles / 0:32:08 / 14.02 mph

Nice bike in previous post. :thumbsup:

Have a good evening all.

So finally got my first 100miler in today. And a very hilly one at that. Most feet climbed by far and Beacon Hill after 73miles for the first time up it is NO fun haha. Ride included "The Tour of the National Forest" sportive. A very well organized and enjoyable day (apart from a 2 iffy signposts that could easily be missed!

http://app.strava.com/activities/52494691

One challenge left now (which should be easy after today) is the Leicester to Skegness charity ride on the 1st of June. This was my first goal and why I started cycling last August. Once this is out the way I need to find more goals to work towards.
I remember you saying that.

I hope this makes sense, but this is a monthly chart of my data, the ft/mile is over the whole course, so if half is climbing and half descending just double it, if thats how it's done.The difficulty is derived from the the climbybike formula and then averages worked out for days and miles, you can also see how my gear length has increased all be it at the sake of cadence, but that was on the up, but so far this month I have done a bit of climbing, and the increased distance actually bring down the difficulty per/mile score down, likewise the ft/mile too.
avg since start.JPG

SWSteve

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom