Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
Typical rookie behaviour, get the shiny stuff first and deal with the hard work later :smile: It's a Cannondale Synapse 5.
You are going to love it! I have got a 2012 105 carbon Synapse with matching 105 pedals and a Fizik kurve bull saddle and love everything about it. The higher riding position as compared to out and out racers for me is a revelation. Have ridden for 5 hours and still felt fresh.
dscn0157-jpg.21033.jpg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
With the ride to and from the start we did a total of 31 miles, not too bad for a 13 year old lad on his 4th ever ride
That's a shame about the turn out when someone has gone to the effort of organising what sounds like a lovely ride. Much kudos to your son though. That's a great mileage for a lad his age. :thumbsup:

simmi

Über Member
That's a shame about the turn out when someone has gone to the effort of organising what sounds like a lovely ride. Much kudos to your son though. That's a great mileage for a lad his age. :thumbsup:
Cheers Mo, yeah I am very proud of him I remember your first 30 which was not too long ago and now look at you, just getting warmed up at the 30 mile mark and you have been doing them day after day, I always need a day or so off after a tough ride.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Cheers Mo, yeah I am very proud of him I remember your first 30 which was not too long ago and now look at you, just getting warmed up at the 30 mile mark and you have been going them day after day, I always need a day or so off after a tough ride.
I've actually eased off slightly myself. I've to be careful with my back as it gets sore if I do too much so have had a couple of rest days lately. Still not sure about tomorrow as it is pretty windy and I find pushing into a headwind really tough at the moment.

Oh, and I do love that Synapse. It was on my short list when I bought my Forme and I still kind of wish I had gone for it. Forme has been great too though so no complaints.

spooks

Cycled 32 miles of agonising Devon hills today. Very annoyed because I paused strava when I stopped to tighten a cleat that randomly all the screws had come reallly really loose on then forgot to start it again for the next few miles, so strava only shows 30 miles with a random straight line between 2 points. Anyway, there was by far the most climbing I ever imagined doing, including a good few miles that were unrelentingly uphill (the cat 3 and 4 bits). Went down Haytor which was terrifying (its one of the Tour of Britain mountain stages) and got my fastest speed yet at 37mph. Could have gone much faster if I had the nerve or the road was better condition! Think I might need tomorrow off!!! Dartmoor is ridiculously hilly.
http://app.strava.com/activities/52301404

Cheers Mo, yeah I am very proud of him I remember your first 30 which was not too long ago and now look at you, just getting warmed up at the 30 mile mark and you have been going them day after day, I always need a day or so off after a tough ride.
Ditto what Mo said, and what you said about Mo. Everyone on here is making wonderful progress, I like Mo seem to be a bit of a plodder compared with with most peoples improvements, but I don't care, someone in continental colours, and whilst he pulled away from, not as fast as I expected, at times today it was hard going, the wind though from the south/west seemed to be everywhere really. I guess to make any more improvements, I need to up my cadence, though I have pushed my biggest average gear this week of 64.54" or get a lighter bike.

Cycled 32 miles of agonising Devon hills today. Very annoyed because I paused strava when I stopped to tighten a cleat that randomly all the screws had come reallly really loose on then forgot to start it again for the next few miles, so strava only shows 30 miles with a random straight line between 2 points. Anyway, there was by far the most climbing I ever imagined doing, including a good few miles that were unrelentingly uphill (the cat 3 and 4 bits). Went down Haytor which was terrifying (its one of the Tour of Britain mountain stages) and got my fastest speed yet at 37mph. Could have gone much faster if I had the nerve or the road was better condition! Think I might need tomorrow off!!! Dartmoor is ridiculously hilly.
That is some climbing Hannah, well done, puts mine to shame really.:smile:
I can fix tcx files, to some degree.

simmi

Über Member
Ditto what Mo said, and what you said about Mo. Everyone on here is making wonderful progress, I like Mo seem to be a bit of a plodder compared with with most peoples improvements, but I don't care, someone in continental colours, and whilst he pulled away from, not as fast as I expected, at times today it was hard going, the wind though from the south/west seemed to be everywhere really. I guess to make any more improvements, I need to up my cadence, though I have pushed my biggest average gear this week of 64.54" or get a lighter bike.
Sell a Kidney and get yourself a carbon mate;)

No seriously you are making great progress and the millage you have covered has been amazing, when your mycyclinglog bar showed 6000 miles I thought you were having a laugh but look at your green bar you could have a week off and still be ahead of the game:bravo:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Was a very unexpected shower. I was out tidying the garden when it came.

Looking forward to the Loughborough "tour of the national forest" sportive tomorrow. 15 mile ride to the start then a 63mile sportive and 15miles back.

Hopefully I'm on form and will be going to add a few extra miles to break the 100mile mark finally, just depends on how I feel as Beacon hill is pretty much the last part of the sportive with others hills on route!

Good luck with the sportive tomorrow.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Great ride, I think I might have coped with the first 15 miles, but not the second 15.

spooks

Great ride, I think I might have coped with the first 15 miles, but not the second 15.
I had the choice to turn back at Moretonhampstead and cycle straight to Bovey Tracey which is more or less flat (in Devon terms) but I felt OK at that point so carried on!!
Theres a hill into Moreton that's apparently 20%. It's only a very short distance but I actually managed to cycle up it!

Sell a Kidney and get yourself a carbon mate;)

No seriously you are making great progress and the millage you have covered has been amazing, when your mycyclinglog bar showed 6000 miles I thought you were having a laugh but look at your green bar you could have a week off and still be ahead of the game:bravo:
You've that challenge to blame for that :smile:, I have been thinking about upgrading the groupset, well the shifters and mech's for sometime, the though has crossed my mind about fitting carbon forks.
As for the distance if I could do 3,000 miles in my first 6 months, I can't see why 6,000 shouldn't be possible in this 12 months, and the end of the day it's only 125 miles a week, you can do that in two rides with out brake sweat, these days, me I still struggle with being away too long, yesterday as a really long day for me, not the riding, I feel I could do hat all day, just being out that long.
I have have been referred to yet another type of counsellor.

DaveyM

Über Member
I had the choice to turn back at Moretonhampstead and cycle straight to Bovey Tracey which is more or less flat (in Devon terms) but I felt OK at that point so carried on!!
Theres a hill into Moreton that's apparently 20%. It's only a very short distance but I actually managed to cycle up it!

I did my first 20% hill the other day and was also amazed that I got to the top.
Bet you never imagined it when you started, I know I didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom