Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaxInc

I don't want to dampen the enthusiasm but I was just reading about a bike fatality in my area yesterday. The retired CEO of a large and well established road construction company was killed when a car turned into his path. The car was driven by a retired doctor that was a founder of a highly regarded regional orthopaedic clinic. Not that it matters so much what they had done or accomplished, it did make top headlines on the regional news and hopefully will make more drivers and riders aware.
http://www.wral.com/pedestrian-killed-in-raleigh-crash/12406954/
This was not the first bicycle fatality I have read about in my area this week.

RIDE WITH CARE! ....just think a little harder and more in advance when hitting those Strava segments! and stay alert!

Cycling is busy traffic is no joke indeed and incredibly vulnerable. It is always sad to read about such things, kind of remembers you how fragile life really is.

SWSteve

Guru
The forecast for today was "Go out and ride!" And I'm glad I did, although at 6C in the morning wasn't much fun to begin with, it warmed up pretty quickly. Later I visited my LSB at Sidcup Cycle Centre which happened to have in stock a boxed 56cm Cannondale Synapse 5 105 :becool:

What colour is the bike? I've had a look online and it is gorgeous, but there seem to be some vulgar options available

SWSteve

Guru
Getting in wasn't much of a problem save for a couple of times after lights, but felt natural with a little learning to go along with it. Unclipping absolutely no problem, though the spring tension was on the easiest, and Im using those easy to unclip shimano cleats so.

I have posted in the Clipless Pedals FAQ thread about the few issues I have, think they all relate to bike fit more than anything.

Have you found you need to raise/alter the height of your saddle? I felt like my legs were never getting as straight as they used to last night (my first 'real' clipless ride) and will be playing with my saddle tomorrow after my ride

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Have you found you need to raise/alter the height of your saddle? I felt like my legs were never getting as straight as they used to last night (my first 'real' clipless ride) and will be playing with my saddle tomorrow after my ride

Interesting point, will pay more attention to my leg shape next time I'm out on it.

RWright

Guru
If I were wanting more calf work I think I would raise my seat a little and/or move my cleats a little more toward the toe of my shoes. Very gradual increases. I cut a small piece of duct tape with scissors to mark my current seat post height. I guess you could mark your cleats with a sharpie or something similar to keep track of where they were when you started, so you can go back if you don't like the change.

MaxInc

What colour is the bike? I've had a look online and it is gorgeous, but there seem to be some vulgar options available

cannondale-synapse-5-105-compact-2013-road-bike.jpg

Other candidates were the Scott Speedster 20 for the aero frame and internal cabling but lost on colour scheme and poor availability. The other was Specialized Allez Elite for the gorgeous design at this price range but lost on Tiagra vs. 105. Settled on the Synapse for the 105 components and Shimano wheels, design focus towards comfort, and general good looks.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Other candidates were the Scott Speedster 20 for the aero frame and internal cabling but lost on colour scheme and poor availability. The other was Specialized Allez Elite for the gorgeous design at this price range but lost on Tiagra vs. 105. Settled on the Synapse for the 105 components and Shimano wheels, design focus towards comfort, and general good looks.

That looks very nice indeed!

SWSteve

Guru

That's the colour I saw and thought, that looks amazing/bright. Good choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom