Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaxInc

HR of 254!!! :wacko: Is that humanly possible? Great effort nevertheless, I get leg cramps just by thinking of pedalling such distance, never mind the pace ...

boybiker

Guru
cheers pal, Not sure I would call it an improvement, suicide attempt maybe ?

My legs were fine pretty much, just struggled cardio/breathing wise at times, and last 2 miles or so started with tingling in my chest like a pins and needles or summat so thought, f***** great I'm going to cark it looking like a right t*** sweating my knackers off, I ran out of water about 1/4 way through as well
Problem with sheffield just too many sodding hills, I'll just have to build a bit slower and forget trying that big hill I was considering trying

Start by cycling flat / downhill for the first mile at least, when you get your fitness up try to avoid major hills for the first 5-10 miles. I find it hard to get in the zone and set a good pace up hills with cold muscles especially in the winter. It's important to take it easy until your body warms up. Make sure you carry enough fluid for the ride and this applies for food to (or take money and stop at a cafe). Keep drinking every 15 mins, dont wait until you are thirsty by then its too late. The same applies to eating although I tend to eat every 20 mins. Even on shorter rides this is a good habit to get into when cycling. It's also important to make sure you eat a good meal before your ride, most people eat porridge before hand. I hope that helps but just get out there and try your best :thumbsup:.

simmi

Über Member
Wow, what an amazing speed to keep up for that distance. I would love to be able to keep up 17mph for 6 miles never mind 60 :thumbsup:
Thanks Mo, The route is very flat which suits me, if you add in a few good hills my speed falls like a stone.
Excellent ride, I am still looking for 17 MPH over 10 miles. Maybe this summer.
Cheers Rocky, you will do it no problem mate with the miles you have been putting in you will find your speed will be up on short rides with no extra effort.
HR of 254!!! :wacko: Is that humanly possible? Great effort nevertheless, I get leg cramps just by thinking of pedalling such distance, never mind the pace ...
Hi Maxinc, no 254 is not possible, the device went wrong for some reason my Max HR is about 182, I was gutted it didn't record correctly as I pushed hard and was interested in my average HR at a guess I think it would have been about 155bpm.
Just stick with it, I only started to ride in Oct and my first ride was 12 miles at about 15mph and I was totally knackered. It is amazing how quickly you improve.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Quick report that I have been trying to get out of the saddle for some climbs recently in an effort to improve my climbing. I find I have to be in a higher gear than when I'm sitting down or I get 'clunks' when I get to the bottom of the stroke.

Only trying this when there's no traffic or anybody watching though. Don't want to embarrass myself!

Did a quick hour this morning before work. Gorgeous day for it and very happy with the data

Take care folks :smile:

AndyPeace

Hi Maxinc, no 254 is not possible, the device went wrong for some reason my Max HR is about 182, I was gutted it didn't record correctly as I pushed hard and was interested in my average HR at a guess I think it would have been about 155bpm.
I belive it's from static electrical interference from clothing, mine's done this recently too. Not sure if there's a remedy.

DaveyM

Über Member
First day of the Massive and got another puncture. Still got 18.75 miles (or 30km in massive terms)

I see that there are some good miles going in now and some of you guys climb hills that would make me cry. Well done :thumbsup:

spooks

Got knocked off the bike today on my way home from work today. A car came way too close and clipped me, i then hit the kerb and came down hard. The bike seems ok, mostly cosmetic damage after I straightened the handlebars out but my elbow is rather huge since that hit the ground first and I have scrapes down my knee and thigh. I'm basically fine but rather unimpressed that the guy just drove off!! I'm going to use it as an excuse to buy some new clothes since mine now have holes in!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Got knocked off the bike today on my way home from work today. A car came way too close and clipped me, i then hit the kerb and came down hard. The bike seems ok, mostly cosmetic damage after I straightened the handlebars out but my elbow is rather huge since that hit the ground first and I have scrapes down my knee and thigh. I'm basically fine but rather unimpressed that the guy just drove off!! I'm going to use it as an excuse to buy some new clothes since mine now have holes in!

Did you get his number/any witnesses?

spooks

The annoying thing is that I could have gone a very slightly longer but car free route through a park but instead stuck with the road because I needed to get home quickly. Not making that mistake again!! Sore down one side with a fat elbow and I'm really not looking forward to seeing how sore that and the other bumps are tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom