Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
Probably didn't know heshe had done it, if driving that close, he/she wasn't really paying attention, and is likely not to have checked mirrors. I had a small van pass me on Monday on a long straight wide road, the moment he/she decided to over take there was another car coming the other way, I was about 3ft from the curb, so there was me the van and a car at the precise moment he/she passed, and he/she bleared the horn as though I am at fault. It's just lack of judgement as to speeds that road bikes go, ok I wasn't going as fast as Simon is these days, and I was going up a slight incline, but they just aren't used to bikes going more than a sedate pace.
We still have to balance this against all the good drivers in all vehicles that do have patience to wait especially where roads are bad and the forward visibility is bad or limited, I also try and thank those that do wait (though this is sometimes difficult going up a steep hill)
It's the law of the jungle with with some idiots "my vehicle is bigger than yours so I have right of way" I also ride 3ft from the curb I like to have a little wiggle room in case of aforementioned idiots.
I was passed by a subaru impreza yesterday it must have been about 2 feet from me and was really moving the crazy thing was the road was clear the other way so I can only think they were deliberately trying to put the wind up me:cursing:
Well, stuck to my word and got up crack of dawn as usual. Went over to the village of Dunning where I was born and spent the first 26 years of my life and went up the Dunning Glen climb. My first category 3 climb and I don't think I will be looking for a category 2 any time soon :laugh: I huffed and puffed my way up at a very sedate pace. Views were stunning on a beautiful morning. No camera as usual. Really must start carrying a little one. It was pretty amazing looking back down from the top and actually felt slightly pleased with myself at that point even although it had been a slow struggle.

Tomorrow is looking wet and breezy so it will either be a rest day or a gentle tootle.
Great work again Mo:bravo: I only did my first category 3 last week it was not that steep but went on for 3-4 miles.
Bit sore this morning!! Only 11 hours at work to survive then I get to take the bike back to Devon to visit my parents. Half tempted to try cycling up haytor even if I have to stop a million times. Or maybe ill go the easier way up and just cycle down it!!
Glad to hear you are not too bad and getting straight back in the saddle.
Give the hill a go, even if you only get a little way up it will give you something to aim for next time.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Well, stuck to my word and got up crack of dawn as usual. Went over to the village of Dunning where I was born and spent the first 26 years of my life and went up the Dunning Glen climb. My first category 3 climb and I don't think I will be looking for a category 2 any time soon :laugh: I huffed and puffed my way up at a very sedate pace. Views were stunning on a beautiful morning. No camera as usual. Really must start carrying a little one. It was pretty amazing looking back down from the top and actually felt slightly pleased with myself at that point even although it had been a slow struggle.

Tomorrow is looking wet and breezy so it will either be a rest day or a gentle tootle.

You really should start taking a camera Mo! Half my family live in Kinross so know the beauty of that area quite well. Well done on the cat 3 climb too.

Not just one Mo, but two. Well done and your speed hasn't gone down either, and distance 45 miles. I would be well chuffed with that.

The only problem I find when out with a camera, is stopping, most of the time I don't want too, until I want to, if you get my drift, but I must get that picture i saw on Sat, but I will need to wait for the right weather and ( dare I say it ) wind.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
8 miles in 47 mins with @SueEvesham this morning, she really is pushing this, if not posting!
Waiting for my brother to come over for a longer ride this afternoon which will be the first time we will have ridden together for about 35 years.
Well done again Sue and enjoy your ride with your brother. Some brotherly bonding :smile:

I wonder if cycling really is starting to get more popular. Just back a quick walk with the dog and there are people setting up banners, tents, etc for a cycling to school event. Encourage them young and hopefully at least some of them will keep it up.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

You put me to shame, I huff and puff up hills that don't get any categorisation.

I wonder if cycling really is starting to get more popular.
I think so Mo, I know that I have influenced a few, even some coach drivers I used to work with have started to show an Interest, these same folk were taking the pi$$ out of me 6 months ago when I started but they have seen a big flabby truck driver lose weight, get fitter and actually complete the Shakespeare100. They were actually having bets about wether I would turn up let alone finish.
Hoping to get my brother to do the Shakespeare next spring with me.

Decided to attempt a metric hundred today, so deliberately went for the flatter areas, completely cream crackered now. Saw very few cyclists out.

http://app.strava.com/activities/51889908#
Good average over that distance, when i did one in Nov I think I was 12 1/2mph.
I think so Mo, I know that I have influenced a few, even some coach drivers I used to work with have started to show an Interest, these same folk were taking the pi$$ out of me 6 months ago when I started but they have seen a big flabby truck driver lose weight, get fitter and actually complete the Shakespeare100. They were actually having bets about wether I would turn up let alone finish.
Hoping to get my brother to do the Shakespeare next spring with me.
Just goes to show.Next year they will be taking bets to see how quick you finish.
I don't usually weigh myself or even look in the mirror, but I can see the effects of last month, last time I had anything like a 32" waist I was in my early 20's, I did get upto a 38" whilst I was drinking.

SamC

25 miles wearing pants of a cottony material. Chafing. Lesson learned.

I only wore them because I couldn't find the pair I was looking for. I got home, looked in the very same drawer I pulled the uncomfortable chafers out of and there they were. That'll teach me to look a bit harder next time.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Unsure if the world is ready for it but Andrew is in Shorts( I don't think I've worn shorts since infant school)! I did get some leg warmers, so I could chicken out if I wanted to...however I got home and they magically turned into arm warmers...so there's no turning back now.

Get 'em on, you can't look as daft as I do in mine, cycling is so much easier in shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom