Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPeace

Strava is stupid in the way it categorise a hill. If someone sets up a segment on a section of road it use that elvation data regardless of how many people do that segment with substantially different data. There is a road near Tonbridge which is apparently a cat 3 20.4% average!! It's a VERY slight uphill yet one of the biggest climbs round here which is longer and steeper is still only a cat 3. It's a good idea categorising hills but you should be able to flag wrong data so Strava can correct it when they see the other 100+ people have totally different elevation data it should be pretty easy.
There's a couple of bogus cat 4's round here, from gps data with corrupted elevation stats (bad weather?). I just click 'hide this segment' and it doesn't show up in my rides.

Strava is stupid in the way it categorise a hill. If someone sets up a segment on a section of road it use that elvation data regardless of how many people do that segment with substantially different data. There is a road near Tonbridge which is apparently a cat 3 20.4% average!! It's a VERY slight uphill yet one of the biggest climbs round here which is longer and steeper is still only a cat 3. It's a good idea categorising hills but you should be able to flag wrong data so Strava can correct it when they see the other 100+ people have totally different elevation data it should be pretty easy.
You can flag them, sometimes you will find the elevation data is confused when a bridge crosses a main road and the elevation is taken from the lower main rd, just take it with a pinch of salt

SWSteve

Guru
I don't think many of my climbs are long and steep enough to be categorized. I started from a standing stop at the bottom of one hill near the lake I ride at and was doing ok, then had to gear down, then had to stand, then almost had to get off. It was burning my thighs quickly. Strava said it had a 13.5 grade for a short part of the climb. I don't look forward to doing that one again but I will and it will probably be much easier if I hit the hill on the fly.

You should be able to search for climbs of different degrees near to you on Strava, these are some in/near your state (I appreciate this isn't a small area, but you can zoom in) which are either 4 or 3s http://app.strava.com/segments/explore#location/north carolina/type/cycling/min/1/max/2/surface/undefined/center/35.226188,-79.891268/zoom/7/map_type/terrain

Just in case you weren't already aware

RWright

Guru
No progress here today - unless you count the ordering of a new seat post as progress.

My stock Giant post has a notched half moon and cup affair and I cannot get my saddle level - it is either slightly up or slightly down.

Have ordered a micro-adjustable Easton EA50 at the bargain price of £26 delivered from Wiggle.

Drip, drip goes the cycling money fund! :laugh:

Well done all you got-outs!

Let me know if you like that seat post. I have an FSA on my Trek that is going to drive me crazy if I don't get rid of it. It would take six hands to adjust it in a reasonable amount of time.

boybiker

Guru
There's a couple of bogus cat 4's round here, from gps data with corrupted elevation stats (bad weather?). I just click 'hide this segment' and it doesn't show up in my rides.

I was told a lot of the ones with crazy elevation data are garmin 800's as you need to calibrate the elevation manually. My friend was at the top of a hill and his said he was -500 ft :laugh:. When he read the manual you basically need to know the hight of a hill go there and tell the unit how high it is, that then calibrates the unit.I guess if you get that wrong your elevation data will always be wrong!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

My highest climb on Strava is 480 feet, it is a flat road in reality.

Can't stop @SueEvesham , out again for another 6 miles this lovely sunny morning down to 33 mins all this on an extremely heavy cruiser
d123f5cd0e1c6bd50f5405af83e443e0_zpsf77ee84e.jpg

I would like to point out the seat is about a foot higher now.
Come on Sue stop lurking and start posting!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Can't stop @SueEvesham , out again for another 6 miles this lovely sunny morning down to 33 mins all this on an extremely heavy cruiser

I would like to point out the seat is about a foot higher now.
Yes, get her signed up. The more ladies the better :girl: She is making great progress. Nice set of wheels.....very smart.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Your missus is faster than mine. When we go out she averages about 10 miles an hour, but I don't complain, totally free mileage for me!

Get posting Sue, we don't bite, unless you ask really nicely :whistle:

I was told a lot of the ones with crazy elevation data are garmin 800's as you need to calibrate the elevation manually. My friend was at the top of a hill and his said he was -500 ft :laugh:. When he read the manual you basically need to know the hight of a hill go there and tell the unit how high it is, that then calibrates the unit.I guess if you get that wrong your elevation data will always be wrong!
With the 500 you can set elevation points, and if within a certain range it will set the elevation automatically (it can store 10 I think, I have one set for home, the photo group, the hospital, and the docs, they are usually the places i reset), though I think you have to be, as you point out Elliot at the place, though using a plug-in with sporttracks you can do it from within there, not sure if there is any other software that does it. the height you are is irrelevant the elevation gained/lost, unless at extreme altitudes, even then the 500 using the barometer also can lose/gain false elevation data, as it is effect by air temp, if you want a true idea use something like gpsies rwgps, strava always seems inaccurate to me, but it might be more accurate than the other two, I find if you stick with one at least you can compare using a level playing field, but at the end of the day it is only a guide.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes

When you upload to garmin connect you can always use the elevation correction feature to use the OS official elevations.

The Garmin will find an accurate elevation I've found if you wait a minute or two after switching on, mine is accurate outside my house anyway.

The manual feature is there if you want to hurry the accuracy up (I switch on in the second floor go downstairs and look at elevation slowly drop, or I can set manual elevation and see it adjust much quicker).

Try finding out ur elevation using google maps outside your house, then go outside with the garmin and set it manually 2 meters above or below and watch it adjust.

Strava is wacko all round, they use some crazy algorithms that give highly erratic info that is in the face if what garmin, endomondo and ridewithgps all say. Try their elevation correction to see how left field it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom