Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaxInc

Strava is wacko all round, they use some crazy algorithms that give highly erratic info that is in the face if what garmin, endomondo and ridewithgps all say. Try their elevation correction to see how left field it is!

I noticed that too, while the app on the Phone reports 98m of elevation change, once I upload the file to Strava it sometimes reports 16m other times just 12m. I think it may be optimised for longer rides and climbs, and tends to drop the little, less significant ups and downs.

Greeny1210

Regular
Not been on here much, had my bike around 2 months now, from never owning anything other a cheap bmx as a kid and being well over weight and unfit, smoker drinker etc, been doing my route around 3 times a week, adding little bits here and there, generally around 6-7km (4 miles ish) a circular route mostly flat like this http://app.strava.com/activities/50794923 got my time down from best part of an hour (fair bit resting) to just under half hour with little rest apart from water breaks.

Anyway yesterday I took a different turn through some woods and ended up doing around 17km :eek: which is 10km more than I have done before and a climb of around 250m instead of 60-80 (I did push the bike a few times as I couldn;t cope with the woodland climbs for long) http://app.strava.com/activities/51561573
Enjoyed it for the most part but about 2 miles away from finish felt pretty rough was either having a mini panic attack or heart attack, so probably pushed too far too quick I guess, I'm still not confident on any main roads so use paths (I don't drive so have no road sense, but I am am careful not to knock any people over or anything)

was quite an adventure, I just cant wait till I can get out to the peak district and not have a heart attack half way ^_^

boybiker

Guru
When you upload to garmin connect you can always use the elevation correction feature to use the OS official elevations.

The Garmin will find an accurate elevation I've found if you wait a minute or two after switching on, mine is accurate outside my house anyway.

The manual feature is there if you want to hurry the accuracy up (I switch on in the second floor go downstairs and look at elevation slowly drop, or I can set manual elevation and see it adjust much quicker).

Try finding out ur elevation using google maps outside your house, then go outside with the garmin and set it manually 2 meters above or below and watch it adjust.

Strava is wacko all round, they use some crazy algorithms that give highly erratic info that is in the face if what garmin, endomondo and ridewithgps all say. Try their elevation correction to see how left field it is!

I use strava on my phone so I'm not too clued up about it all. Only what I've heard other say so not the best sources admittedly.

I went out for a ride today thinking I'm going to do a big ride today and get this months challenge off to a good start. I went out for over 2 hours really enjoyed myself and then realised once I got home I forgot to start strava :laugh::blush: . What a numpty I am :whistle:. That's cost me 40 miles before I have even got going :dry:.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not been on here much, had my bike around 2 months now, from never owning anything other a cheap bmx as a kid and being well over weight and unfit, smoker drinker etc, been doing my route around 3 times a week, adding little bits here and there, generally around 6-7km (4 miles ish) a circular route mostly flat like this http://app.strava.com/activities/50794923 got my time down from best part of an hour (fair bit resting) to just under half hour with little rest apart from water breaks.

Anyway yesterday I took a different turn through some woods and ended up doing around 17km :eek: which is 10km more than I have done before and a climb of around 250m instead of 60-80 (I did push the bike a few times as I couldn;t cope with the woodland climbs for long) http://app.strava.com/activities/51561573
Enjoyed it for the most part but about 2 miles away from finish felt pretty rough was either having a mini panic attack or heart attack, so probably pushed too far too quick I guess, I'm still not confident on any main roads so use paths (I don't drive so have no road sense, but I am am careful not to knock any people over or anything)

was quite an adventure, I just cant wait till I can get out to the peak district and not have a heart attack half way ^_^

Crikey - that's a really fine improvement there.

Maybe you should come on here more and share? I'm new too and am way behind some of the lads on here for distance and pace but they are all supportive.

Keep it up mate and you'll soon be hammering around Matlock etc!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
8.78 miles / 14.6 mph av' - my quickest av' to date.

When I first did this route in Feb' this year I was just a tad over 6 minutes slower than today.

Quite a warm-ish evening out there. T-shirt only (well hard!). Gets back into the house and Mrs SD is "****ing freezing, it's only 19C on the 'stat" and the heating is now churning out a squillion BTU's an hour.

Had to sit out the back with my juice so I could really cool down before I went back into the house! :rolleyes:

Have a good evening everyone.

Greeny1210

Regular
Crikey - that's a really fine improvement there.

Maybe you should come on here more and share? I'm new too and am way behind some of the lads on here for distance and pace but they are all supportive.

Keep it up mate and you'll soon be hammering around Matlock etc!

cheers pal, Not sure I would call it an improvement, suicide attempt maybe ?

My legs were fine pretty much, just struggled cardio/breathing wise at times, and last 2 miles or so started with tingling in my chest like a pins and needles or summat so thought, f***** great I'm going to cark it looking like a right t*** sweating my knackers off, I ran out of water about 1/4 way through as well
Problem with sheffield just too many sodding hills, I'll just have to build a bit slower and forget trying that big hill I was considering trying

My legs were fine pretty much, just struggled cardio/breathing wise at times, and last 2 miles or so started with tingling in my chest like a pins and needles or summat so thought, f***** great I'm going to cark it looking like a right t*** sweating my knackers off, I ran out of water about 1/4 way through as well
Problem with sheffield just too many sodding hills, I'll just have to build a bit slower and forget trying that big hill I was considering trying
You will grow to love them, wish there were more round here.

RWright

Guru
I use strava on my phone so I'm not too clued up about it all. Only what I've heard other say so not the best sources admittedly.

I went out for a ride today thinking I'm going to do a big ride today and get this months challenge off to a good start. I went out for over 2 hours really enjoyed myself and then realised once I got home I forgot to start strava :laugh::blush: . What a numpty I am :whistle:. That's cost me 40 miles before I have even got going :dry:.

Sounds like something I would do. :blink: bummer

MaxInc

Hi Greeny, and welcome to the forums, pretty nice place to exchange experiences with loads of support from everyone.

Your experience sounds a bit like mine a few months ago when I decided I had enough of my sedentary life. I started with long walks but when I tried running, it only took me less than 1km to get my heart rate up through the roof and started seeing white sparkles and strong pulses in my neck. I though I was going to faint ... and I was only 32. I started having all sort of chest pains but my GP reassured me that they were probably from muscle strain from increased physical exercise.

Somehow my determination was stronger than my cardio system so I decided to take more scientific approach to keep things under control. So I got a cheap heart rate monitor from Decathlon. I keep my efforts, however pathetic, within a tolerable range of 70-80% and never pushed above 85-90% MHR. In a few weeks distance has increased with every run, resting HR dropped from 100+ to normal levels and started feeling more alive than ever. Probably most importantly I was enjoying it too.

I guess you could dial down a notch on the effort you push. Get into a zone where you can still get a good sweat but feel good at the end of the run. As long as you keep at it and enjoy it, progress will inevitably come.

Good luck!

simmi

Über Member
Was on nights last night so after a decent sleep went for a good ride.
I am doing the route for my cycle club Sunday ride this week so even though I knew the route I wanted to ride it again so as not to look like a complete numbty making errors on Sunday.

60.6 miles in 3:30:00 at 17.3 mph http://app.strava.com/activities/51768614

I was pushing quite hard the whole way round but even so was surprised to get an average speed of over 17 mph for a 60 mile ride.
I hard cramps in my quads for the last couple of miles and they hurt like hell for half an hour after I got back,
I had reduced the amount of carbohydrate i put in my bottles by 50%, not sure but I think this might be the reason for the leg pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom