Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA

I did use MapMyRide until yesterday, but since joining the forums everyone goes on about Endomondo or Strava. I'm trying out Endomondo at the moment. Everyone says MapMyRide is rubbish but I've found it quite good as I've been using it for months with little glitches. I'm not quite sure now which one to use. I can't afford a cycling GPS unless they're cheap - I've seen some for about £100 but that's far too expensive for me :sad:
I'm into stats but I don't have any HR equipment. I see Endomondo does weather though, whereas MapMyRide doesn't. I'm a bit lost, to be honest.

That's fantastic!

I've only experience of Strava, and it's free and does everything I need it to do.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
9.4m / 41:44 / 13.5 Av'.

Went for an evening ride at just after 6pm and it was lovely - no wind!

Only downer was riding through Kendal when my making a very clear signal that I intended to move from the left hand lane into the right filter lane for some traffic lights a Dozy Cow in a Discovery following in the same lane took it as a cue to accelerate hard to overtake me and then swerve back in in front of me. She then stopped at the lights at an approx' 30 degree angle across the two lanes. Amazing.

I like all the weight loss stories today.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Is it only me that does this or does every one? When I stop at lights i nudge the front changer, hold the front brake lift the rear of the bike and spin the pedals to drop it onto the smaller cog for an easy get away? It is one of the old habits that i have just realised i still have.

RWright

Guru
I did use MapMyRide until yesterday, but since joining the forums everyone goes on about Endomondo or Strava. I'm trying out Endomondo at the moment. Everyone says MapMyRide is rubbish but I've found it quite good as I've been using it for months with little glitches. I'm not quite sure now which one to use. I can't afford a cycling GPS unless they're cheap - I've seen some for about £100 but that's far too expensive for me :sad:
I'm into stats but I don't have any HR equipment. I see Endomondo does weather though, whereas MapMyRide doesn't. I'm a bit lost, to be honest.

I use MapMyRide to draw out routes I want to try. I think you can save the routes and load them into a Garmin to use for directions too. I haven't done it but I believe it is supposed to do that. I save the routes for quick reference on my PC. I also like clicking the button and drawing the cool little red lines. :thumbsup:

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
nope, I do it too, but only if I've forgot to drop out of the top chain ring.
Cheers Ian, I have spent to much time on the bike pondering the insignificant and I thought I might clear at least that one outta my head. I always rush to the lights in the mistaken believe divine providence will change them to green and never leave time to change down.

RWright

Guru
Is it only me that does this or does every one? When I stop at lights i nudge the front changer, hold the front brake lift the rear of the bike and spin the pedals to drop it onto the smaller cog for an easy get away? It is one of the old habits that i have just realised i still have.

I normally try to get into a lower gear before I stop but sometimes I don't think about it soon enough. That sounds like a good tip, I will try it next time I am in the wrong gear at a light. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I normally try to get into a lower gear before I stop but sometimes I don't think about it soon enough. That sounds like a good tip, I will try it next time I am in the wrong gear at a light. :thumbsup:

I do that too - 4th largest cog on the 39 ring for me. I find it's the best balance between being high enough that I can get a decent "push off" and clip in but low enough that it doesn't strain my leg. When I'm coming to a junction, set of lights or ending the ride I always change down into that gear in advance.

I love to hear the weight loss stories, but I have noticed some of your overweight "weights" would still be a good target for me ! I am the largest here? :eek: :eek: :eek: I haven't weighed in for a few weeks now but have gone from 20 1/2 stone to 18 st, probably lower still as my trousers are looking silly squeezed up with extra holes on the belt.
Like some of you my food intake is almost the same, just cut out alcohol altogether.

Back in the early nineties when I last rode I was a stick thin 11 1/2 stone and 28 inch waist, I wonder how far down it will be possible to go down to now.

Not been out since Sundays ride, pesky work getting in the way.

chernij

I use MapMyRide to draw out routes I want to try. I think you can save the routes and load them into a Garmin to use for directions too. I haven't done it but I believe it is supposed to do that. I save the routes for quick reference on my PC. I also like clicking the button and drawing the cool little red lines. :thumbsup:
Ah I see - I don't have a Garmin though - really wish I did!

RWright

Guru
I love to hear the weight loss stories, but I have noticed some of your overweight "weights" would still be a good target for me ! I am the largest here? :eek: :eek: :eek: I haven't weighed in for a few weeks now but have gone from 20 1/2 stone to 18 st, probably lower still as my trousers are looking silly squeezed up with extra holes on the belt.
Like some of you my food intake is almost the same, just cut out alcohol altogether.

Back in the early nineties when I last rode I was a stick thin 11 1/2 stone and 28 inch waist, I wonder how far down it will be possible to go down to now.

I am down to 16 stone 2 lbs. from 19 stone 6 lbs. since August. My eventual target is around 12 to 12.5 stone. (I hope that all looks right, we don't use stones in measurement here) The best shape I was in was late 80s early 90s and I was 11 stone 9 lbs. My waist was 33 inches. I don't think I have been under that since high school. I have never really been thin built, don't think I ever will be. As far as 28 inch waist :rolleyes:, I don't see me doing that without some serious illness involved. I am hoping my thighs are about that in the next year or so. I only have to add about 3 inches to them to get there. :smile:

IanA

I do that too - 4th largest cog on the 39 ring for me. I find it's the best balance between being high enough that I can get a decent "push off" and clip in but low enough that it doesn't strain my leg. When I'm coming to a junction, set of lights or ending the ride I always change down into that gear in advance.

Normall middle ring and largest cog, then kick off with right foot clipped in, peddle that foot around for 2 revolutions before I clip the left foot in.

Normall middle ring and largest cog, then kick off with right foot clipped in, peddle that opt around for 2 revolutions before I clip the left foot in.
I tend to be in the right gear, or at least one I can pull away in.
Ah I see - I don't have a Garmin though - really wish I did!
Phone apps work well enough, though can be a bit wayward, (so can garmins, but less so with a speed sensor), its more when setting off make sure they are on a while to get the best gps lock.

I think your doing great Brian, you've lost much the same as me, if you want to speed it up a little just reduce the calorie intake a little, (but you know this):smile:
Probably the lack of clothes Nigel :biggrin:
:laugh:I have been wearing more in this weather we've had these last 4 months than I ever normally do, must be 6lb+ of base layers, thermal tights, 2 pairs of socks, I will fly when I get chance to just wear a shirt and shorts.^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom