Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it's pretty flat; it's the Great Manchester Cycle. They say they want an average speed of 13mph (recommended!). You have a great improvement on your cycles!
In two months I had gone from the 9.32mph to 13.62mph in two months, generally with 20-30ft per mile of climb (over the whole distance) with distances of between 20 and 35 miles, though some rides were longer and shorter, but i was out most days, my first month cycling I did 516 miles @ 12.09mph 2nd month 567miles @ 14.09mph, the 2nd month was a little flatter. These days whilst not much faster, I can climb more.

It really is just about riding as much as you can, but remember you need days in which your body needs to recover.

chernij

In two months I had gone from the 9.32mph to 13.62mph in two months, generally with 20-30ft per mile of climb (over the whole distance) with distances of between 20 and 35 miles, though some rides were longer and shorter, but i was out most days, my first month cycling I did 516 miles @ 12.09mph 2nd month 567miles @ 14.09mph, the 2nd month was a little flatter. These days whilst not much faster, I can climb more.

It really is just about riding as much as you can, but remember you need days in which your body needs to recover.
Wow. I haven't really done much analysing of the month things but I'll certainly give it a go. It'd be good to get a more general overview of progress as opposed to a day-by-day thing, or even week-by-week.
My worst cycle was a disgusting climb. It was only a 10 mile ride, averaging 31ft climb per mile, but at a certain section it was about 50-60ft climb per mile for 4 miles straight. My legs ache at the thought.

Wow. I haven't really done much analysing of the month things but I'll certainly give it a go. It'd be good to get a more general overview of progress as opposed to a day-by-day thing, or even week-by-week.
My worst cycle was a disgusting climb. It was only a 10 mile ride, averaging 31ft climb per mile, but at a certain section it was about 50-60ft climb per mile for 4 miles straight. My legs ache at the thought.
If you can do that without stopping, just keep doing it, then when you can do it twice, the 26 miles in June will be a breeze.
Depending what you use to record your trips depends on what data you can use, i started off with a simple cycle computer which did speed, avg sp, distance and time, using a site like gpsies I had an idea of the elevation gained.
If you have smart phone that can use strava or endomondo you can upload to these sites and they will give you other data, both sites allow you to export the rides so they can be used on other sites or applications.
I keep core data, like distance, time, elevation, H.R. and cadence and weather in spread sheet, which then works our varies other things like ft/mile, difficulty gear" ect.... ( I am a bit of stats freak, though not a very fast cyclist).

IanA

well back from 6 days of been too busy at work, and this afternoon was too nice to miss.

off on my standard training circuit and felt good, didn't stop and covered the course for the first time in under an hour plus not stopping prior to climbing the mount road.

http://app.strava.com/activities/48153592

just got back home and nearly fell off the bike and vomited as he legs had turned to jelly.

oh how I wish for more afternoons like today was.

rgds

Ian

Todays effort: http://app.strava.com/activities/48152194
Felt pretty good apart from the last 2 miles or so. Think I'll do this another couple of times then find a few more miles to add on somewhere. Best part was that I managed to miss the rain by 10 minutes.
You will get used to the rain.
well back from 6 days of been too busy at work, and this afternoon was too nice to miss.

off on my standard training circuit and felt good, didn't stop and covered the course for the first time in under an hour plus not stopping prior to climbing the mount road.

http://app.strava.com/activities/48153592

just got back home and nearly fell off the bike and vomited as he legs had turned to jelly.

oh how I wish for more afternoons like today was.

rgds

Ian
nice one Ian, and like spooks, we will get some just not many, to compensate for the bad weather we get.

IanA

Thanks Nigel

really felt quicker today, I think more to technic than power.

big physical improvement is my recovery time, with in a few minutes I can talk again....haha

spooks

Wow, you are making rapid progress. Well done. You've done really well on some of these Strava segments too. :smile:
If I didn't have something to aim for then I wouldn't be progressing quickly at all. It does help being in your 20s and used to fairly regular exercise in the not too distant past. After the London to Brighton I'm going to need to find a 100 miler to aim for near the end of the year to keep it going. I just wish I had more time to dedicate to it. 2-3 times a week isn't enough for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom