Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kerndog

I'm not sure I would be confident to fix it though.

I thought the same thing but found that actually it's easier than you think... Once you've done it once you can do it, and nothings that complicated with a bike...:whistle: if I can change bits and fiddle about a bit without braking it then anyone can!

Oh and Mo, have a day off, you've earnt it!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

My chain broke but that was because Decathlon didn't set up the bike properly. Fortunately though I have retired parents who live nearby who have a large estate car and could pick me up! If they are not home I have the number of a local taxi firm who have people carriers big enough to accommodate my bike inside. I have not had to call them yet though. I can mend punctures ok but anything else would flummox me.

Rocky's idea of carrying a spare chain seems a brilliant idea though. It'd be so simple to just take the chain off and put a new one on. Much easier than learning to use a chain tool!

RWright

Guru
I got out of the saddle and attacked a hill!!!!!!!111!!!!!1! Ok it was only for about 15 seconds, but it happened and it happened 3 times!! The fantastic feeling of doubling my speed was offset a little when I sat down again and my speed crashed, but one time I went all the way up a hill in full force.
:thumbsup:
I have been doing a lot more of this lately, I look forward to it sometimes to give my butt a rest and it lets me stretch my legs and back. I even do it on slight inclines some too. Put it in top gear and just get up and grind. It is helping my endurance but it took a while for my legs to start liking it.

Stevie Mcluskey

Über Member
Tried to get into a shirt this morning that three months ago I couldn't get into.

Still doesn't fit, only this time it is to big ! ^_^

Another expense of the cycling bug. New wardrobe !!. Well done on your weight loss:thumbsup:.

I'll have returned to cycling for a year in a couple of weeks and think i'll be reasonably chuffed with weight lost and distance covered in first year back after about a 6-7 year lay off.

RWright

Guru
Tried to get into a shirt this morning that three months ago I couldn't get into.

Still doesn't fit, only this time it is to big ! ^_^

Nice :thumbsup:
I bought quite a few spring clothes last fall on close out, I bought them all too small on purpose. Another 6 lbs (.42857 stone ;)) down and I start wearing them. Hopefully about the first of May.

That ride puts you back where you belong, above everybody else.

I definitely find that by doing two rides a day my mileage is higher than if I did just one long ride.
Likewise, at the mo I try and do 20+miles in the morning, with maybe 10 miles later with a higher effort as its a short ride.
Well just the one p.b. this morning but it was a nice day, I didn't push it much really.
http://app.strava.com/activities/48127979#842638324
puts me 4th out of 9.
and this I did three minutes quicker than 2 days ago, simple because of how strong the wind was.
http://app.strava.com/activities/48127979#842638325

Thank you! I have a way to go though, got a 26 mile ride in June!
26miles is not to difficult, depends on the terrain really, my first ride was 8.5miles @ 9.32mph, my third was 29.8miles @ 11.17mph, though the the latter was a lot flatter, even though I climbed more or the whole course, and probably stopped a half dozen times or more. i stopped on the ride this morning for a while, but only because I wanted to. So keep at it, as i say 26miles by June should be no problem.

chernij

26miles is not to difficult, depends on the terrain really, my first ride was 8.5miles @ 9.32mph, my third was 29.8miles @ 11.17mph, though the the latter was a lot flatter, even though I climbed more or the whole course, and probably stopped a half dozen times or more. i stopped on the ride this morning for a while, but only because I wanted to. So keep at it, as i say 26miles by June should be no problem.
I think it's pretty flat; it's the Great Manchester Cycle. They say they want an average speed of 13mph (recommended!). You have a great improvement on your cycles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom