Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

My sensors seemed to be acting a little funky, I think it was because I did not change the bike setting before I went for a ride. I think you have to have it set to the bike you are riding at the time, just checking to make sure you checked that. I had mine set to a different bike that had no sensor and when I put it back on the bike with the sensor, it would not work until I changed the bike under the bike settings/bike profile menu.

Thanks for the advice Rocky but I haven't actually used either of the sensors on the Focus yet. I've run the strava app on my phone when I've used that bike. I didn't think that changing profiles would make so much difference but obviously it does :ohmy: I will make sure to do so when/if I get a second functioning sensor from Garmin. I don't want anymore problems once this current one is sorted!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I'm already struggling after cycling 9 days in a row. I could be in danger of doing myself more harm than good keeping going without restdays I think. I do quite a bit of walking with the dog so it's not as though I'm not getting any exercise if I don't go out. I am at least on my own so no one else to consider, unless you count the dog and cat! :rolleyes:

9 days in a row! I struggle after 3/4 in a row. Even the pros take at least one rest day a week. Give yourself a day off, you're earned it...about 100 times over!

re: newbies, I am a massive newbie, I had to change an innertube a couple of weeks ago and at one point said 'If I had to do this before I got on it I wouldn't own a bike' in terms of riding I am getting there, it's just maintenance I wouldn't have a clue with.

I'm not too bad with inner tube changes but i'm dreading the day my chain snaps.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I continued to test myself on the hills tonight and surprised myself on my ability to settle into a rhythm and get up a climb. I struggled with the gears at the steepest points dropping to 4mph and a cadence of 50 rpm but I was able to keep going and recovered on the downhill to ride as normal on the flatter part without any trouble.

My average mileage was low at 10.4 mph for my 12 miles but I am dragging 21st over the hills so I am pleased with where I am and have something to build on. Also surprising was that I really enjoyed the ride, ever the steepest sections on the hills.

Here is my ride - http://app.strava.com/activities/48041086

If only I was a few stone lighter. But that will come in time.

9 days in a row! I struggle after 3/4 in a row. Even the pros take at least one rest day a week. Give yourself a day off, you're earned it...about 100 times over!
Ditto give me chance to get some headway and take a break too.
That is great your Dad can still do all that. My Dad passed away this past July at 80. My Dad never once mowed the yard again after I was about 12 years old. He did buy a riding mower right after I left home for college but then he hired a kid from up the street to mow it with the riding mower I had begged for about five years or more for. He said something about it being good for me using the push mower or something like that. I still do my own yard mowing because I am so used to it.
My dad never did any gardening, mind he didn't do much else around the house either.
I have done an average of 31.5 miles over the last 13 days, and I felt it coming home in that wind today average of 12.63mph over 16.8 miles though it did have nearly 60ft of climb per/mile over that distance.
The run to Wakefield was good though. 11p.b.'s
http://app.strava.com/activities/47997050

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Had a good ride late this afternoon once my wrong sized shoes had arrived (hi flat pedals...umm you know I said you were out of the door? well your back in guys.......guys?) and did the most mileage since March 10. Rode to my usual haunt, Richmond Park and did 3 laps and came back, so the same as on the 3rd, albeit with an extra lap.

Very pleased with overall av speed (14.8 according to Garmin, 14.6 to Strava) and my Garmin was showing 15 mph but then I hit Wimbledon rush hour. Got quite a few records, and knocked 9 seconds off my previous best lap of the park.

I got out of the saddle and attacked a hill!!!!!!!111!!!!!1! Ok it was only for about 15 seconds, but it happened and it happened 3 times!! The fantastic feeling of doubling my speed was offset a little when I sat down again and my speed crashed, but one time I went all the way up a hill in full force.

Finally, even though it was further by 7 miles, and average speed was faster by .5mph my average and max heartbeat came down. Not much, just a little, but enough to give me a little smile that a little progress was happening inside as well as outside.

http://app.strava.com/activities/48019995#

And my previous ride

http://app.strava.com/activities/47096685#

Chuffed. :dance:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I continued to test myself on the hills tonight and surprised myself on my ability to settle into a rhythm and get up a climb. I struggled with the gears at the steepest points dropping to 4mph and a cadence of 50 rpm but I was able to keep going and recovered on the downhill to ride as normal on the flatter part without any trouble.

My average mileage was low at 10.4 mph for my 12 miles but I am dragging 21st over the hills so I am pleased with where I am and have something to build on. Also surprising was that I really enjoyed the ride, ever the steepest sections go the hill.

100ft per mile is very hilly as far as I am concerned so don't worry about your average speed - well done for just completing the ride! Losing weight does help a great deal with the hills in my experience. I have gone from 14 stone 12 lbs to 12 stone 5 lbs and even on a bad day, the mounds that I used to think were hills are nothing. I couldn't imagine having to lug about another 2 and a half stone up the hill now, that'd be like carrying a smallish dog up there, or 2 extra bikes on my back. So imagine how easy it's going to be when cycling gets rid of that excess weight, because at the moment it's like you're carrying a woman on your back!

Billy Adam

Was half thinking that myself. Especially with my saddle and back issues. Have actually been feeling a bit rough this afternoon and I think it's just with doing a wee bit more than I am ready for.

Really think you need to take a few days off Mo so I can catch up :angel: . Seriously though I would have a rest day, there's no point in flogging yourself half to death and then not enjoying your riding.

AndyPeace

My average mileage was low at 10.4 mph for my 12 miles but I am dragging 21st over the hills so I am pleased with where I am and have something to build on. Also surprising was that I really enjoyed the ride, ever the steepest sections on the hills.

That looks like some serious climbing, sometimes just reaching the top is all that matters, not speed. Looking at your heart rate data on the main climb, you kept an even effort all the way up. Glad your enjoying it too, would be wrong not to imo!

I carry an extra chain on my long distance bike. They are not all that heavy and are compact enough I get it in my saddle bag ok.

Chains are easier to mend, just carry either a quick link, or if the chain allows it a spare link or two and a chain tool, happened to me last week, fortunately it was next to the quick link and i wasn't to far from home so I just took the broken link out then replaced it once home.

Both of these answers whilst excellent assume i know what i am doing, to a certain degree, when it comes to chains. To me chain link removal tools look like miniature torture devices from the dark ages.

kerndog

good work! you did 100ft per mile climbing which I believe is classed as 'hilly' or as I like to think bloody hard work!
I reckon cycling really starts to get fun when you enjoy the climbs... I'm only a couple of months in and I love a good climb although it was only a matter of weeks ago that hills filled me with dread. Keep at it, you'll be smashing it soon enough

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Both of these answers whilst excellent assume i know what i am doing, to a certain degree, when it comes to chains. To me chain link removal tools look like miniature torture devices from the dark ages.
Same here. My Sunday run was really early and crossed a bit of moorland type area with nobody around for several miles. It crossed my mind that if my chain broke I would have a very long walk! A bit skint just now but must get a chain tool and a few spare power links at least. Like you, I'm not sure I would be confident to fix it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom