Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
The weather has stayed dry! Who'dve thunk it. Well done Nigel on beating an Electric bike! what was the rider like?
I had an awkward passing moment the other day with an elder gentlemen where I slowed as there were a couple of junctions approaching and I didn't want to cut him up, and he had slowed to allow me to pass...we both got very slow until he pulled over to stop. I felt bad as I wasn't exactly racing along and he felt the need to stop.

A scalp is a scalp...good job!

Edit: My reply was my feeble attempt at humor. Just that you were being observant and considerate of the person in front of you is a good thing. I have ran into this situation before but rarely because I hardly ever see other riders. I handle this now by just saying coming around or your left...or right or whatever the case may be. If there is a questionable road or traffic situation that causes you to be hesitant then it is ok to wait. I do know that sometimes when car drivers get a little confused about passing me, and start going slow, pacing me that it can be a little annoying, but I would rather be a little annoyed than plastered to grill of their car.

Now I try to let riders know I am there and make my move as soon as possible when it is safe to do so.

The weather has stayed dry! Who'dve thunk it. Well done Nigel on beating an Electric bike! what was the rider like?
I had an awkward passing moment the other day with an elder gentlemen where I slowed as there were a couple of junctions approaching and I didn't want to cut him up, and he had slowed to allow me to pass...we both got very slow until he pulled over to stop. I felt bad as I wasn't exactly racing along and he felt the need to stop.
I didn't really take much notice, just said evening as I passed. I dont know if they a limited at all.
I got out for another 20 miles this evening just one 2nd best time, that wind was awful at one point, but I managed to pull back from an avg speed over about 12.9mph about half way round to 13.8mph.
That put's me on half my target for the month in 8 days I cant ever remember riding 229.6mile in 7 days, so hats hat off to Chris for all the miles he puts in, also just passed 1,700miles for the year.
This for a change was the worst section.
http://app.strava.com/activities/47886687#837031046

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Should be going on a trip through Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia (not necessarily in that order!) through to Bangkok and then on to Phuket :blink:
I loved Bankok on the one trip (non cycling!) I've had there and want to go to Phuket, and with the rest thrown in I couldn't resist ....:sweat:

My wife's boss did Vietnam on a MTB last year in aid of Parkinsons (his poor wife is a sufferer). Was a terrific trip for him.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Reply to hopless500 Post #3760 (no member content so quote function does not work). Basically hopless500 is quoting Post #1 of this thread.

Yes - it is a bit strange really and I guess it hinges on how you define a Newbie!

To me a good number of the reg's in this thread are red hot cyclists!

Whichever way you look at it everyone is wonderfully supportive and it gives you an insight into the art of the possible.

Also the high mileage/fast guys are not in the least bit pretentious and I like that.

This thread is ok for me. :thumbsup:

SWSteve

Guru
A week in and so far managing a daily quick two mile 'round the block' route to break my bottom back in. Average 8.8. :sad:
I need to be able to do 80-100 per day at nearly double that speed in a year's time :eek:

You have ~50 weeks, if you can add 2 miles a week you're there! great work on getting on, that's the first step, you'll soon be doing 10-15 miles and from there you'll be looking at metric tons (I have yet to achieve that).

It's starting to warm up and stay lighter longer so do what you can, when you can. 2 miles at 8.8 is 15 minutes, you could squeeze that in almost every night after dinner, and soon you'll be doing more than 2 miles.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Reply to hopless500 Post #3760 (no member content so quote function does not work). Basically hopless500 is quoting Post #1 of this thread.

Yes - it is a bit strange really and I guess it hinges on how you define a Newbie!

To me a good number of the reg's in this thread are red hot cyclists!

Whichever way you look at it everyone is wonderfully supportive and it gives you an insight into the art of the possible.

Also the high mileage/fast guys are not in the least bit pretentious and I like that.

This thread is ok for me. :thumbsup:

I quite like the mix of people in the thread, and the other thing to mention is nobody normally stays a newbie for long. Look at Nigel for evidence of that. Personally I find these people who get out almost every other day, and those regularly putting in decent miles make me feel a little guilty when I know I have the chance to go out and I don't. And that's a good thing!

I quite like the mix of people in the thread, and the other thing to mention is nobody normally stays a newbie for long. Look at Nigel for evidence of that. Personally I find these people who get out almost every other day, and those regularly putting in decent miles make me feel a little guilty when I know I have the chance to go out and I don't. And that's a good thing!
Dont take any notice of me, I am no faster than I was in Aug (well a smidge), and generally dont cycle as far as I did in Nov or climb as high.:whistle:. I think this thread has sort of become a subgroup.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Dont take any notice of me, I am no faster than I was in Aug (well a smidge), and generally dont cycle as far as I did in Nov or climb as high.:whistle:. I think this thread has sort of become a subgroup.

I see you and Rocky have knocked some mileage out of the Strava Challenge, I reckon you are easily going to do it. Ticker fixed as well.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well, I am still a struggling newbie even although I am pushing myself as hard as I can. Squeezed out 40 miles this morning but my lower back was getting really tight and sore. Think 40 may be my limit for a while. I've never been blessed with a very strong back so I'll just have to see how it goes.

Pleased enough with the ride though. Wee bit slow but a reasonable amount of climbing so I suppose I should be happy.

Lee_M

Guru
Well, I am still a struggling newbie even although I am pushing myself as hard as I can. Squeezed out 40 miles this morning but my lower back was getting really tight and sore. Think 40 may be my limit for a while. I've never been blessed with a very strong back so I'll just have to see how it goes.

Pleased enough with the ride though. Wee bit slow but a reasonable amount of climbing so I suppose I should be happy.

have you had a bike fit?
I can recommend it to help your back - made a major difference after my back op
also core strength exercises will help

Mo1959

Legendary Member
have you had a bike fit?
I can recommend it to help your back - made a major difference after my back op
also core strength exercises will help
I think the core exercises would probably help. I am very bad for neglecting any stretching or strength training and I am pretty sure it would help. Doesn't help that I have been having problems trying to get comfy on the saddle since I upped my distances. I think once you get a bit sore you probably start shifting around and putting even more pressure on the back.

I suppose I have upped my miles quite a bit over the space of about 6 weeks though so maybe trying to do too much. I blame this blooming Strava challenge! :rolleyes:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Well done, 40 miles is a brilliant ride, another 65km of the challenge ticked off :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom