Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
13.34m / 57:31 / 13.91 Av'.

Happy with this - last did it in December just after I got my bike and this is 6 minutes and 1.34mph quicker without any more apparent effort.

A really lovely day out there for cycling.

Hope you all had a good un' if you have already been and stay safe all those who haven't been out yet.

Reece

Veteran
Out for the 9am club run today. Great turnout and the sun must of motivated everyone. The pace was good and got my best avg speed yet. 17.4mph (although strava says 17.3) Garmin connect even says 17.5mph moving avg.

The service in the cafe was painfully slow and really had to warm the legs back up on the way home. Didn't help having the faster 8.30 riders with us, the pace was good but when we hit the odd house (usually where people split up) they put the hammer down. I tried to keep up but burnt myself out on the hills where they just seemed to keep accelerating. Got some work to do before I go out on their ride lol.

http://app.strava.com/activities/47481963

May need to check the HR monitor though, Strava and Garmin connect read my max HR at 214bpm :huh:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Well done on the ride Reece!. I seem to have a better moving average on garmin connect too. I think garmin cuts out "dead time" where the clock is ticking but you're not actually moving (e.g. if it's auto unpaused by mistake)

I often get heart rate maxxes of 210+. It's electrical interference with the device. Seems to happen a lot at the beginning of rides for me. It's annoying because I have an alert set up on mine for when I get above 90% of my real max just so I know how long I've been pushing like hell and not to overdo it. When I get the electrical interference it bleeps at me even though I might not even be out of breath.

Reece

Veteran
Well done on the ride Reece!. I seem to have a better moving average on garmin connect too. I think garmin cuts out "dead time" where the clock is ticking but you're not actually moving (e.g. if it's auto unpaused by mistake)

I often get heart rate maxxes of 210+. It's electrical interference with the device. Seems to happen a lot at the beginning of rides for me. It's annoying because I have an alert set up on mine for when I get above 90% of my real max just so I know how long I've been pushing like hell and not to overdo it. When I get the electrical interference it bleeps at me even though I might not even be out of breath.
A couple of friends in the club have had their HR monitors fail. Luckily I was sent a new HR monitor from Garmin last week although they was meant to have sent the replacement GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor. they've resent the GSC-10 and told me to keep the HR monitor lol

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

A couple of friends in the club have had their HR monitors fail. Luckily I was sent a new HR monitor from Garmin last week although they was meant to have sent the replacement GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor. they've resent the GSC-10 and told me to keep the HR monitor lol

Haha, well it's good to have a spare! I had to order another cadence sensor as mine fell of the Triban very quickly. The thing didn't attach properly to the cranks as they aren't flat.

I need to think about ordering another speed sensor for the Focus. As its the same wheel size as the Triban I should just be able to switch between the two as long as the sensors are all in place.

Reece

Veteran
Haha, well it's good to have a spare! I had to order another cadence sensor as mine fell of the Triban very quickly. The thing didn't attach properly to the cranks as they aren't flat.

I need to think about ordering another speed sensor for the Focus. As its the same wheel size as the Triban I should just be able to switch between the two as long as the sensors are all in place.
Do you have the edge 500 or 800? I can have bike profiles on the 800 so can switch between bikes. The cadence sensor annoys me. Loads of people in the club bought extra strong magnets of the net (they did a group buy so cost 75p per magnet) that sit on the end of the pedal spindle. Super effective and a lot tidier. I'm looking to get one.

Do you have the edge 500 or 800? I can have bike profiles on the 800 so can switch between bikes. The cadence sensor annoys me. Loads of people in the club bought extra strong magnets of the net (they did a group buy so cost 75p per magnet) that sit on the end of the pedal spindle. Super effective and a lot tidier. I'm looking to get one.
The 500 has profiles too. The only problem I seem to have is the odd cadence spike, and the odd setting off misplaced gps data, which is why sometime I upload a corrected tcx file instead of the fit file.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I have the 500. It'd been so long since I programmed it I forgot about the bike profile. On the 500 it's just weight and wheel circumference though. So I guess if you didn't switch profiles you'd just have a slightly inaccurate power/calorie figures as It'd think the bike was heavier than it actually was.

That magnet think sounds like a good idea. I don't miss the cadence sensor though to be honest. I have never put the new one on the triban as it'd just fall off again. I looked at the data the first couple of times I used it and thought "yep, my cadence is about 90-100 rpm, thats fine" and that was it. I think trial and error dictates what is optimum for you, I knew very quickly after I started cycling that I preferred to spin lower gears than pedal squares in too high a gear.

I have the 500. It'd been so long since I programmed it I forgot about the bike profile. On the 500 it's just weight and wheel circumference though. So I guess if you didn't switch profiles you'd just have a slightly inaccurate power/calorie figures as It'd think the bike was heavier than it actually was.

That magnet think sounds like a good idea. I don't miss the cadence sensor though to be honest. I have never put the new one on the triban as it'd just fall off again. I looked at the data the first couple of times I used it and thought "yep, my cadence is about 90-100 rpm, thats fine" and that was it. I think trial and error dictates what is optimum for you, I knew very quickly after I started cycling that I preferred to spin lower gears than pedal squares in too high a gear.
Depends what I am doing I can spin 85-90 on the flat (less the wind of course) but I put some effort into the hills as we don't have too many, it's the only time my H.R. goes over about 145-150bpm these days.

Reece

Veteran

Yeah I barely look at the cadence figure now but does help occasionally. I've got the feel of what I'm spinning. I've found I prefer spinning about 90-95rpm but grind up certain hills.

Just nipped out to see if I can catch Mo a little.
did this 10 mile loop in sub 40mins.
http://app.strava.com/activities/47519617#828517656
I haven't quite got this in the sub 1 min yet but its getting there.
http://app.strava.com/activities/47519617#828517606
and 5th out of 19 on this.
http://app.strava.com/activities/47519617#828517582

http://app.strava.com/activities/47519617
Got another 30 in today wasn't going to go out but the weather was so nice ( well nicer than it has been) just had to get out.:smile: https://www.strava.com/activities/47512442
Dang it, if it's not Mo, it's you Billy nice one.:smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just nipped out to see if I can catch Mo a little.
did this 10 mile loop in sub 40mins.
http://app.strava.com/activities/47519617#828517656
I haven't quite got this in the sub 1 min yet but its getting there.
http://app.strava.com/activities/47519617#828517606
and 5th out of 19 on this.
http://app.strava.com/activities/47519617#828517582

http://app.strava.com/activities/47519617

Dang it, if it's not Mo, it's you Billy nice one.:smile:

All three of you are on 19% - you need to go do another 1.5km!

Billy Adam
Aldershot, Hampshire, United Kingdom 5 262.5 19%
2411 3 medium.jpg Nigel Butterfield
Pontefract, England, United Kingdom 9 261.1 19%
2517 4 medium.jpg Maureen Doig
Crieff, Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom 6 256.8 19%

All three of you are on 19% - you need to go do another 1.5km!

Billy Adam
Aldershot, Hampshire, United Kingdom 5 262.5 19%
2411 3 medium.jpg Nigel Butterfield
Pontefract, England, United Kingdom 9 261.1 19%
2517 4 medium.jpg Maureen Doig
Crieff, Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom 6 256.8 19%
I will catch up in the morning, got to show a young lad Jupiter, before the scope goes. This last week has seen me complete my third greatest distance in a given week, also on a rolling 7 day period, the most I did was 203.3miles in 5 days opposed to the 196.5 in 7, but time has been a little restricted this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom