Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy Adam

When the nights are lighter I may learn to type. Just noticed all the typos in my original message.
I put it down to excitement Phil :smile:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I thought I'd be more excited about the clocks going forward as I've been looking forward to it for months but it's hard to feel cheerful when it's going to drop to -4C tonight. It's cold enough cycling early afternoon let alone evening.

Still I'm sure I will appreciate it more when it gets warmer.

I thought I'd be more excited about the clocks going forward as I've been looking forward to it for months but it's hard to feel cheerful when it's going to drop to -4C tonight. It's cold enough cycling early afternoon let alone evening.

Just watch, when this wind shifts the weather will go straight from cold to warm calm days which will last until October.

Mo1959

Legendary Member

As much as I've enjoyed the last couple of mornings, they are forecasting it could be down to minus 6 here tonight so I think tomorrow morning will be getting a miss, and spending the afternoon and evening visiting my folks so it looks like a rest day.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

As much as I've enjoyed the last couple of mornings, they are forecasting it could be down to minus 6 here tonight so I think tomorrow morning will be getting a miss, and spending the afternoon and evening visiting my folks so it looks like a rest day.

I don't blame you after all the cycling you've done in the past month or so. I took a rest day today and I've barely done much recently.:blush: Where you find the motivation to get up and go out at 5:30am I'll never know but well done!

I saw on my strava timeline you joined the specialized challenge too. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go for it as well. I hate accepting challenges I know I won't complete but I'm just going to set my sights on getting that 50% completion badge. So far this month I've done just short of 300 miles, my most ever and I will do another 24 tomorrow. So 410 miles next month is a reasonable progression and a fairly realistic target I think.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I don't blame you after all the cycling you've done in the past month or so. I took a rest day today and I've barely done much recently.:blush: Where you find the motivation to get up and go out at 5:30am I'll never know but well done!

I saw on my strava timeline you joined the specialized challenge too. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go for it as well. I hate accepting challenges I know I won't complete but I'm just going to set my sights on getting that 50% completion badge. So far this month I've done just short of 300 miles, my most ever and I will do another 24 tomorrow. So 410 miles next month is a reasonable progression and a fairly realistic target I think.
Yep. Still getting problems with saddle discomfort so I think the half way badge will probably do me too.

I'm going to choose to believe that and not my instinct which is "when it stops being so windy and cold it's going to rain for ages as it hasn't for over a week" ^_^

Get yourself down to the south east, very little rain and sunnier than the rest of the country. Plus when it snows here it makes the news.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Get yourself down to the south east, very little rain and sunnier than the rest of the country. Plus when it snows here it makes the news.

Not much different to here really, if I lived about another 5 miles further south I'd technically be in the South West. Well, I suppose it rains a bit more here. But it mostly falls all over Wales before those clouds get to us!

Went out for a great ride this afternoon. 30 miles covered (pb for me) slow average (12.59) as with a local group. First time I have ridden with anyone let alone a group. It was very cold and at one point we had a great snow storm, another first for me, the thing is being in a group meant it didn't matter you just get on with it. I think it's the way forward for me from now on when I can. What was uplifting was no one was waiting for me, it was the other way round.
Picked up some good tips for next weekends Shakespeare100 as well.
Better than my first 30+mile ride Brian I did 31.4miles @ 11.14mph and probably had 4 or 5 breaks, well done and for joining up with a club.
Well I managed to average 14mph on this ride today, pleased with this final leg just 2's of my p.b Womersley to Chequerfield Ln

It makes the the news if it snows anywhere in the U.K. for some reason.

I did a short 9 miles focussing on my cadence this morning. When I loaded it on to Strava I noticed I've passed 1,500 miles. I've been out on my bike 82 times. I'm pleased with that as its been a long and very cold winter.

If I can ride through the dark months, I'm going to enjoy the longer nights and warmer weather.
If you have not heard, this is the start of a new mini ice age.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Doesn't a lot of the welsh rain run off your way and cause floods occasionally?

Yeah it does sometimes, there was some really bad flooding here in 2007. It didn't affect my house but I couldn't get out for a few days. Tewkesbury suffers the worst, it's where the river Avon meets the river Severn so it only takes a bit of rainfall and it starts flooding. Especially since the early 2000s when they very sensibly decided to start concreting over all the flood plains and meadows to build huge new housing developments. :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom