Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy Adam

Nice improvement Nigel.....

I think we all as newbies hate the hills, the pain, the feeling of weakness as he legs just give up !

Evidence from Nigel that we will improve if we keep at it!

just wish there was a magic potion to give you Chris Hoy legs !
My legs seem fine going up its the coming down they start to ache.

SWSteve

Guru
Speaking of achey legs, does anyone else find if they are at a slow cadence, their knees can hurt? I think it's instead of my legs going up/down they are going up/forward/down/back which feels less fluid. I might be completely wrong

IanA

Speaking of achey legs, does anyone else find if they are at a slow cadence, their knees can hurt? I think it's instead of my legs going up/down they are going up/forward/down/back which feels less fluid. I might be completely wrong
Today I tried to orbit my legs ie, trying to apply power for the entire circular motion of each pedal. While I felt less tired in the quad muscles, the other parts which until now haven't really been use are now killing me...haha

I found this useful going up hill but hard to keep up the motion because the new muscles tired quickly, so had to resort to only pushing down on the pedal, with just a little lift on the upcoming pedal.

I guess you've checked seat height and cleat adjustments ? I'm definitely not an expert there, but that's what I understand can cause the knee pain.

SWSteve

Guru
Today I tried to orbit my legs ie, trying to apply power for the entire circular motion of each pedal. While I felt less tired in the quad muscles, the other parts which until now haven't really been use are now killing me...haha

I found this useful going up hill but hard to keep up the motion because the new muscles tired quickly, so had to resort to only pushing down on the pedal, with just a little lift on the upcoming pedal.

I guess you've checked seat height and cleat adjustments ? I'm definitely not an expert there, but that's what I understand can cause the knee pain.

I do not use cleats, have toe clips and the trainers. I imagine it could also be due to the fact my shoe bends etc. My first reaction was 'this might not hurt if I had clip ons not ins'

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Progressed!

First "Twenty" so chuffed with that.

20.09 Miles / 1:35:32 / 12.6 Av'.

No saddle problems at all so the new one seems to be a good purchase.

As you head into Windermere there is a series of switchbacks - ok on the way in but one was a swine on the way back.

At one point I was overcome with a Tsunami of disappointment when "The Last Gear I Was Saving" had somehow managed to use itself up without me noticing!

Did a quick system check: Legs ok, *rse ok, lungs ok, head ok so away we go into stand up mode. Tough, slow but I made it!

I have earned my Easter Egg treat today!

Some good stuff going on in previous posts - well done to all of you and everyone else who got out.

Billy Adam

I do not use cleats, have toe clips and the trainers. I imagine it could also be due to the fact my shoe bends etc. My first reaction was 'this might not hurt if I had clip ons not ins'
I'm trying to use this too, the scraping the mud of your shoe method. I don't know if its my imagination or what, but when I do it feels a lot easier and seem to pick up speed too.

Reece

Veteran
So out on the 9am club run today. Good avg speed despite the weather. Was at 16.5mph avg most of the way but I opted to get an extra 5 mile in to get my century for the club challenge and it dropped ever so slightly (dog walkers on the GCW lol).

Weather started off a bit chilly but sun shining. 20 miles in the snow started to fall but not settle. Got in the cafe and the sun came out, well until we got back on the bikes then it snowed again haha.

Few moments on the run home where the legs wanted to give up but a couple of gels sorted that out. Feel really tired now I'm home, just hope I've not caught the cold that my family seem to be getting!

http://app.strava.com/activities/46485474

Went out for a great ride this afternoon. 30 miles covered (pb for me) slow average (12.59) as with a local group. First time I have ridden with anyone let alone a group. It was very cold and at one point we had a great snow storm, another first for me, the thing is being in a group meant it didn't matter you just get on with it. I think it's the way forward for me from now on when I can. What was uplifting was no one was waiting for me, it was the other way round.
Picked up some good tips for next weekends Shakespeare100 as well.

DaveyM

Über Member
I had a nice steady ride out today, had to take it steady due to a recent bout of man flu. Need a new set of lungs!!
strangely set a load of PB's on strava funny how these things work out.
Actually felt warm today :thumbsup:

Some of you who were begginers the same time as me are now really showing me how its done! I will have to up my game I think.

AndyPeace

I did a short 9 miles focussing on my cadence this morning. When I loaded on to Strava I noticed I've passed 1,500 miles. I've been out own my bike 82 times. I'm pleased with that as its been a long and very old winter.

If I can ride through the dark months, I'm gaining to enjoy the longer nights and warmer weather.

I've never been so excited about the clocks turning back before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom