Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The 2nd day I had the bike back in 2008 (on my way to London) I was going down a hill and hit a pot hole pretty hard, pulled over checked things, all seemed fine, later in the day I had a flat, turns out the force had pushed the tube so hard against the rim it weakened the tube, as there were a series of little round marks the size of the holes for the spokes.
Still not had time to do those rear spokes.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The 2nd day I had the bike back in 2008 (on my way to London) I was going down a hill and hit a pot hole pretty hard, pulled over checked things, all seemed fine, later in the day I had a flat, turns out the force had pushed the tube so hard against the rim it weakened the tube, as there were a series of little round marks the size of the holes for the spokes.
Still not had time to do those rear spokes.
You may be on to something there. Roads are certainly in a state just now. Maybe the repeated bouncing over rough potholed roads has just caused the tube to fail where it is against the rim. Not sure how long it has been on as bought that bike second hand.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You may be on to something there. Roads are certainly in a state just now. Maybe the repeated bouncing over rough potholed roads has just caused the tube to fail where it is against the rim. Not sure how long it has been on as bought that bike second hand.

My last two or three fairy visits have all been tube failures.

Scotty1991

Talking about punctures, Can you get like a little puncture repair kit with the right tools and the right equipment for when you do come across a puncture while cycling.
If so where is the cheapest place to get one? Something you can attach to the bike?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Talking about punctures, Can you get like a little puncture repair kit with the right tools and the right equipment for when you do come across a puncture while cycling.
If so where is the cheapest place to get one? Something you can attach to the bike?

Get yourself a saddle bag, you will be able to fit a co2 pump plus co2 canisters in it along with spare tubes, tyre levers and stick on patches. Don't get metal tyre levers unless they are covered in some sort of plastic, otherwise you end up with scratched rims

chainreactioncycles or wiggle would be the best online places to try, or pop into your LBS and they should be able to kit you out.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Back in the dim distant past, loads of bikes used to have a small and deeply unfashionable 6"x3"x2"ish bag hanging from the back of the saddle made from vinyl or the like often matching the frame and mudguards, this used have just enough room for the puncture repair kit, a multi (made from cheese) spanner and three (not two) tyre levers. I have over the years thrown loads away every time I bought or inherited a bike. I now wish I had one and a John Bull repair kit (5"x 2"x 1") to go in it.
Brooks make a similar one in leather but want you to sell your right arm for the privilege of owning it.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
ahh! memories

Attachments

• john bull bag.jpg
    john bull bag.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 27
  • john bull.JPG
    john bull.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 25

IanA

Well it's cold, still a bit of breeze, but I'm back at work tomorrow for 6 days away from home and won't be able to ride, and I really wanted to try and ride from kidsgrove to congelton.

So, on went an extra T shirt, and off I set.

There is a stretch of A34 which is reasonably flat, some small cilmbs but, from kidsgrove end to congelton, it's 10 miles round trip .....perfect, let's see how fast I am....or shall we see how slow I am !

10 miles, 23 minutes ! ... sorry typo, 43 minutes ! haha, humm....LOTS more training required me thinks !

Personnal achievement? left my house and covered the greatest distance yet of 15 miles. The last few miles are the killer, it's all up hill, granny gear uphill......the only way I can make it, and it works for me is, head down ( don't forget to look up from time to time )' and watch the Tarmac pass by below. If I look up and pick a place in the distance, then it looks like it's never getting closer and the brain gives up!

As for the road quality. I bought the bike this time last week, I've always thought the roads to be bad, but riding a road bike with our hard, narrow crotch smashing seat is no fun sometimes. The A34 has some sections which have that low quality, large lump Tarmac that's starts to break up. Hitting that is like been kicked in the nut area with a stiletto!

Think I need more padding, or a carbon fibre moulding of my arse area to spead the impacts ! Now there's a marketing idea........

Ian

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well it's cold, still a bit of breeze, but I'm back at work tomorrow for 6 days away from home and won't be able to ride, and I really wanted to try and ride from kidsgrove to congelton.

So, on went an extra T shirt, and off I set.

There is a stretch of A34 which is reasonably flat, some small cilmbs but, from kidsgrove end to congelton, it's 10 miles round trip .....perfect, let's see how fast I am....or shall we see how slow I am !

10 miles, 23 minutes ! ... sorry typo, 43 minutes ! haha, humm......LOTS more training required me thinks !

Personnal achievement? left my house and covered the greatest distance yet of 15 miles. The last few miles are the killer, it's all up hill, granny gear uphill......the only way I can make it, and it works for me is, head down ( don't forget to look up from time to time )' and watch the Tarmac pass by below. If I look up and pick a place in the distance, then it looks like it's never getting closer and the brain gives up!

As for the road quality. I bought the bike this time last week, I've always thought the roads to be bad, but riding a road bike with our hard, narrow crotch smashing seat is no fun sometimes. The A34 has some sections which have that low quality, large lump Tarmac that's starts to break up. Hitting that is like been kicked in the nut area with a stiletto!

Think I need more padding, or a carbon fibre moulding of my arse area to spead the impacts ! Now there's a marketing idea........

Ian

43 minutes for 10 miles is okay, not far off 15 mph.

IanA

thanks supersuperleeds,

I know it's not a race speed, more of a tour speed, but I'm happy with it for where I am training wise. If I'd have tried that this time last week, I'd of collapsed after the first few miles , haha !

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just in from a lovely ride 11.72m in 58m32s.

-1c, slight wind but really enjoyed this. Pootled along really and was just taking in the lovely scenery where I live. Countryside is full of cavorting lambs and the mountains look stunning; all resplendent in white with a crystal clear blue sky as backdrop.

I feel absolutely great! Glad I made the effort to go.

Hope you all had a good un today too.

RWright

Guru
:smile:
43 minutes for 10 miles is okay, not far off 15 mph.
40 minutes for 10 miles is my target time to beat now. I may have only done it once so far. You seem to be making nice progress quickly.

Rain here today and I am still fighting off the chills, I am taking another day off. I don't see me hitting the mark on the challenge now but maybe next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom