Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA

No more cycling for me now for 6 days, off to work early tomorrow. Just hope I get the use of some decent equipment in the hotels.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Did my training loop, absolutely froze as with windchill it was about -5C. Winds were treacherous, I struggled to keep control of the bike and when I was going north the headwind was so strong I could barely pedal. At one point I was pedalling hard to just do 12mph down a hill which I normally freewheel down at 25mph. :wacko:

http://app.strava.com/activities/44131675

IanA

Roll on spring and summer !

Going to join Kidsgrove wheelers tonight....they have Turbo training night tonight, so going to see what that is all about, don't think I'll have ago tho, as my ass needs a rest ! hahaha

boybiker

Guru
Well it's cold, still a bit of breeze, but I'm back at work tomorrow for 6 days away from home and won't be able to ride, and I really wanted to try and ride from kidsgrove to congelton.

So, on went an extra T shirt, and off I set.

There is a stretch of A34 which is reasonably flat, some small cilmbs but, from kidsgrove end to congelton, it's 10 miles round trip .....perfect, let's see how fast I am....or shall we see how slow I am !

10 miles, 23 minutes ! ... sorry typo, 43 minutes ! haha, humm....LOTS more training required me thinks !

Personnal achievement? left my house and covered the greatest distance yet of 15 miles. The last few miles are the killer, it's all up hill, granny gear uphill......the only way I can make it, and it works for me is, head down ( don't forget to look up from time to time )' and watch the Tarmac pass by below. If I look up and pick a place in the distance, then it looks like it's never getting closer and the brain gives up!

As for the road quality. I bought the bike this time last week, I've always thought the roads to be bad, but riding a road bike with our hard, narrow crotch smashing seat is no fun sometimes. The A34 has some sections which have that low quality, large lump Tarmac that's starts to break up. Hitting that is like been kicked in the nut area with a stiletto!

Think I need more padding, or a carbon fibre moulding of my arse area to spead the impacts ! Now there's a marketing idea........

Ian
43 mins to do 10 miles is a steady pace and you will get quicker with more miles under your belt.My commute to work is 12.7 miles and takes me 45 mins!

No ridding today due to the snow all over the roads, it's most cleared up now though so hopefully I will be able to ride in to work tomorrow.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My ride from work to asda today which has hill segment in it,so I gave it some going up but has'nt recorded it????

The ride.
http://app.strava.com/activities/44123529

The segment...which is part of the The ride?
http://app.strava.com/segments/explore#location/Leicester, United Kingdom/type/cycling/min/0/max/5/center/52.604378,-1.089/zoom/15/map_type/terrain

Strange that, it looks like you did it all, did you go passed it and then turn around? May be that confused it, if you do it again, either don't turn around or stop recording before you do. I'm 24th on that one, but I did my time on my ice tyres in the snow, though I don't think I will get near the KOM anyway. You need to get a good run off the roundabout and be lucky with the lights to set a good time on that one.

monkeylc

Über Member
Strange that, it looks like you did it all, did you go passed it and then turn around? May be that confused it, if you do it again, either don't turn around or stop recording before you do. I'm 24th on that one, but I did my time on my ice tyres in the snow, though I don't think I will get near the KOM anyway. You need to get a good run off the roundabout and be lucky with the lights to set a good time on that one.
Yeh I did turn around to go asda when I got past the lights.I was coughing my lungs up after,really went for it and for nothing :blink:
I tryed doing this http://app.strava.com/segments/2316568 the other day and the lights changed on me :blink:

DaveyM

Über Member
Got out today for a quick 10 mile run . :cold: Oh so cold.
I am amazed that so many are still clocking miles I need to get back into the swing of things .

Leescfc79

Über Member
Not been out since last week but managed to get some turbo miles in, I'm off work for nearly 2 weeks after tomorrow so hope to get out a bit more. I also have my first sportive this Saturday, 40 miles which will be my longest distance to date, shame the weather looks a bit rubbish but still looking forward to it.

monkeylc

Über Member
Not been out since last week but managed to get some turbo miles in, I'm off work for nearly 2 weeks after tomorrow so hope to get out a bit more. I also have my first sportive this Saturday, 40 miles which will be my longest distance to date, shame the weather looks a bit rubbish but still looking forward to it.
good luck matey

monkeylc

Über Member

Right,made my own for now but prob not the exact same start/finish (distance the same) ,but I would have placed 4th at 1.14

My ride
http://app.strava.com/segments/3599906

Segment leader board
http://app.strava.com/segments/3523630

You see thats how much it fuppin p*ssed me off,I've just spent all this time doing this! :huh:

Scotty1991

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom