Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reece

Veteran
Not been out since last week but managed to get some turbo miles in, I'm off work for nearly 2 weeks after tomorrow so hope to get out a bit more. I also have my first sportive this Saturday, 40 miles which will be my longest distance to date, shame the weather looks a bit rubbish but still looking forward to it.
What sportive you doing lee?

Leescfc79

Über Member
What sportive you doing lee?

The wiggle no excuses, believe its somewhere in/near Huntingdon. Need to find the email sometime this week....

Well it's cold, still a bit of breeze, but I'm back at work tomorrow for 6 days away from home and won't be able to ride, and I really wanted to try and ride from kidsgrove to congelton.

So, on went an extra T shirt, and off I set.

There is a stretch of A34 which is reasonably flat, some small cilmbs but, from kidsgrove end to congelton, it's 10 miles round trip .....perfect, let's see how fast I am....or shall we see how slow I am !

10 miles, 23 minutes ! ... sorry typo, 43 minutes ! haha, humm....LOTS more training required me thinks !

Personnal achievement? left my house and covered the greatest distance yet of 15 miles. The last few miles are the killer, it's all up hill, granny gear uphill......the only way I can make it, and it works for me is, head down ( don't forget to look up from time to time )' and watch the Tarmac pass by below. If I look up and pick a place in the distance, then it looks like it's never getting closer and the brain gives up!

As for the road quality. I bought the bike this time last week, I've always thought the roads to be bad, but riding a road bike with our hard, narrow crotch smashing seat is no fun sometimes. The A34 has some sections which have that low quality, large lump Tarmac that's starts to break up. Hitting that is like been kicked in the nut area with a stiletto!

Think I need more padding, or a carbon fibre moulding of my arse area to spead the impacts ! Now there's a marketing idea........

Ian
Dont worry about the granny gear Ian, I was like that with one of the hills to the house, I have cut this Cobblers Lane/Western Av from nearly 5 mins to nearly sub 3 mins.

Scotty1991

Looked like a great day from my window, got geared up and started cycling to then be introduced into some strong winds then into a 20 min hail storm!
After that it turned into a nice day. Untill another hail storm hit but even worse!
But all in all done the just under 15mile loop in 1 hour 11 mins , 4 mins quicker than last time :smile:

http://app.strava.com/activities/44241734

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Well I wish I had gone out when you did Brian because I got rained on and snowed on - that wasn't in the forecast. Now I've been back an hour it's bloody sunny now. :rolleyes:

Just did a short ride as I wasn't really feeling up to it. Anything is better than nothing though.

http://app.strava.com/activities/44260810#

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
After work ride today only 7.51 miles but better than nothing. Managed 13.4mph and 33m 37s which is over 5 minutes faster than the first time I did this a few months ago. Didn't make any special effort apart from concentrating on spinning my cranks - which I am finding much easier.

Amusing incident today - I was footling along a lane thinking about the long hill about 150m up the road and round a sharp corner when a guy comes past on a posh Cervelo. No hello, no wave just nothing. When I went around the bend I saw him struggling up the hill and eventually passed him and as I went by he said "****ing hill, too hard for me!"

So, I assume he is another beginner like me but with a lot more money to spend.:rolleyes:

Despite my own pitifully slow progress up the hill I did feel a sense of victory wash over me - bit sad but hey-ho.

Hope you all had a good ride today.

simmi

Über Member
Back to work tomorrow so managed to get out today,
Quite windy and cold towards the end but not too bad I guess I am getting used to it.
Tried out a few new hills that were suggested by Nigel (cheers Mate) think I must be getting better at climbing, now just rubbish instead of complete rubbish;)
Managed to turn my Garmin off for 5 miles D'oh! so my strava data is not accurate.
Actual distance was 62.4 miles in about 4 hours 27 mins.
http://app.strava.com/activities/44262173
Had a bit of snow but not too much, back just in time coming down quite hard now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom