Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kerndog

So incredibly jealous of you! looks like a good ride, and I imagine your weather was better than grey somerset

yeah so am I! - you could street map any point on my ride today ( http://app.strava.com/activities/42938538 ) and you wont find one inch of road that looks as nice as that, or as warm.

eevvee

quick question.

My legs ache for a day or two after every ride, and im not resting for more than a day or two at a time, meaning my legs constantly ache... is this normal? I'm only 4 weeks and 200 miles in so I know I have a long way to go, just worried im doing something wrong like post ride warm down or food..?

cheers

I'm the same and use yoga stretches to prevent the hamstrings from tightening up, and keep the leg muscles in good shape. There are many good videos on YouTube. You can use them before and after a ride and daily if not riding.

AndyPeace

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

and with this one that makes 200miles in a week. http://app.strava.com/activities/43041635
I was thinking do I still belong in this thread? I think so but I can do 50 miles and still feel ok.yet, It was only a year ago that I though to make a 6mile (each way) commute I needed an electric bike. How things change eh? lol

You're no longer a newbie, many of us aren't but we've got a nice little group here now and you're part of that so we're not going to let you stop posting in here. :thumbsup:

I never thought when I started this thread that it would grow so big. It will be 6 months old tomorrow and we are closing in on the 2500th post already!

Thanks to everyone who's kept posting here. You're a big inspiration. There have been quite a few times when I have felt despondent, especially during times where I couldn't get out (like the 2 weeks in Jan and 2 weeks in Feb) but this thread just makes me get straight back on the bike and keep going out, day after day. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I have only just started ,been at it for a week.

Days 1,2,3 about 6 miles, avg of 10mph
4 day 12 miles avg 11mph
5 day 12 miles 12.5 mph
6 day 13 miles 12mph
Tomorrow i have planed a 16 mile cycle which i am really looking forward to :smile:

Very quick progress! Well done.

RWright

Guru
I got in a 20 miler today. I was excited about my ride today, first time out on my drop bar bike for a while. I had it all cleaned up, new tires, cassette, saddle, CHAIN with everything all lubed up, bright and shiny from a fresh polish and wax job. I took off and was about half mile from home climbing the last hill before you get out of my subdivision and the chain snaps. :thumbsdown: I do admit it was partially my fault and was not totally unexpected. It is a long story but I will just say be careful with the Youtube video you choose for guidance if you haven't sized a new chain before, especially if you have already cut up the old chain that came off to make a chain whip. Fortunately, I was at the top of the hill I just climbed and was able to coast all the way back home (my top speed of the day 26.5 mph ;)).

The rest of the ride was a little tough, 9 or 10 mph winds that seemed to be in my face all day but it wasn't bad for just another slow cruise on the Townie.

http://app.strava.com/activities/42999082
Made it to Saintbury and up the hill, not the best planned day but it all went well apart from needing bolt cutters to get thew the 6 foot gate that was in my way. Most of the 'resting time' was me trying to figure out if I was on the right road and on one cross roads it was third time lucky for getting the way...but other than that fairly well navigated.

With this ride thats 100miles for March and 1000 miles for 2013 :smile:
Glad you finally made it Andy, looks a bit tough, well done

You're no longer a newbie, many of us aren't but we've got a nice little group here now and you're part of that so we're not going to let you stop posting in here. :thumbsup:

I never thought when I started this thread that it would grow so big. It will be 6 months old tomorrow and we are closing in on the 2500th post already!

Thanks to everyone who's kept posting here. You're a big inspiration. There have been quite a few times when I have felt despondent, especially during times where I couldn't get out (like the 2 weeks in Jan and 2 weeks in Feb) but this thread just makes me get straight back on the bike and keep going out, day after day. :biggrin:
Do I get a prize for the 2,500th post :laugh:, Got to echo those sentiments.
I have only just started ,been at it for a week.

Days 1,2,3 about 6 miles, avg of 10mph
4 day 12 miles avg 11mph
5 day 12 miles 12.5 mph
6 day 13 miles 12mph
Tomorrow i have planed a 16 mile cycle which i am really looking forward to :smile:
Much quicker than I did, though I usually did 20+miles (which in hindsight may have been a mistake) it took me 3 weeks or so to hit avg's of 12mph+, then another month to get up to about 14mph, then I slowed down whilst i started to tackle hills, I am now getting avg of 14 ( I hope this is not a false thing as I have thought in the past I was getting there only to go out the next time and back to 12.8 to 13.2mph speeds) on rides where I was getting 12.5mph in Oct/Nov, but I think the biggest improvement is in the fact I can climb the hill to the house and the end of 30 miles and it not feel like I am dying (or going to)

AndyPeace

Glad you made it up the hill Andy. I'm only working in the morning tomorrow so might get a chance in the afternoon.
Glad you finally made it Andy, looks a bit tough, well done

I may have done a little better than what strava says, if you follow the trail from from the performance data it will show you on the map that I went up then down on the first eighth of a mile, I think the resting time was at the bottom of the hill too, as I did stop there but don't recall stopping elsewhere on that climb, . I did use my lowest gear (no surprise!) of 27.8 gear inches (26X25) but made it a fair distance on the middle chain-ring early in the climb. Sat down all the way, though shifted my position often and used the elevation data on garmin to pace myself and see sight of the end. I worked really hard on the climb but oddly my heart rate is not at it's max, which I kind of thought it ought to be? I did ease off at several points in order to recover but only for a moment. Will have to work on the opposite direction too. I whimped out and used the brakes quite a bit, though I am on a hybrid. I was knackered on the way home but not uncomfortably so (well except for a little saddle sore) and still had zest for a ride latter.

I may have done a little better than what strava says, if you follow the trail from from the performance data it will show you on the map that I went up then down on the first eighth of a mile, I think the resting time was at the bottom of the hill too, as I did stop there but don't recall stopping elsewhere on that climb, . I did use my lowest gear (no surprise!) of 27.8 gear inches (26X25) but made it a fair distance on the middle chain-ring early in the climb. Sat down all the way, though shifted my position often and used the elevation data on garmin to pace myself and see sight of the end. I worked really hard on the climb but oddly my heart rate is not at it's max, which I kind of thought it ought to be? I did ease off at several points in order to recover but only for a moment. Will have to work on the opposite direction too. I whimped out and used the brakes quite a bit, though I am on a hybrid. I was knackered on the way home but not uncomfortably so (well except for a little saddle sore) and still had zest for a ride latter.
I worked out to be about 29" from speed and cadence, but it doesn't matter how low it was, just the fact you did it matters, I noticed the H.R. too, keeping a good tempo is the way to success on a long steep climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom