Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reece

Veteran
I've done ten rides since buying my bike a month ago. And this morning I rode 23 miles.

I really am amazed at the progress I've made, bridges over motorways that I used to think of as hills are now a breeze.
Nice one.
Surprising how quick the improvements are.

Friday 26miles avg 14.5' followed by an 8.2miles avg 15.7

Sunday 26 miles avg 14.8 followed by 8.2 avg 15.7

Friday and Sunday 26 miles - two very different routes but ending at the same cafe.

The 8.2 is the same post coffee route home .

That is 17 rides since starting - 411 miles total so far.

I think the difference now is the pain is expected and in a strange way looked for - climbing gets quicker, a little quicker, a very little quicker, but the pain is always there. Started trying some out of the saddle efforts when the legs were beginning to tire, and this does inject a little pace but does seem to bring its own type of pain.
Dont try it on a wet bend going down hill.
If it helps alternate, I finds it helps certainly on a longer climb, but dont over do it out of the saddle otherwise you may not make (at least not at first), I just dont like spinning on a climb at slow speeds I feel unsteady when I am going slow, I am not the best on a bike for balance at any time, but i am safe enough with a little speed or pushing the pedals, as I seem to have a little more control

I've done ten rides since buying my bike a month ago. And this morning I rode 23 miles.

I really am amazed at the progress I've made, bridges over motorways that I used to think of as hills are now a breeze.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ditto what Reece just said. These days instead of crawling up I just get out of the saddle and put a little more effort in, there is one approaching Beal from the north over a river and it's quite steep, I used to hate it, these days hardly notice is (mind that might be because I dont got that way to often now ass it's flat and boring)

boybiker

Guru

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations on your progress. I'm also finding roads/hills I use to really dread ridding up are just flying past! :thumbsup:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Wife wanted to "go for a bike ride"
so,we set off and she managed to get 2 mile away and wanted to go home :tongue:
says her legs have gone all "funny" :blink::whistle:

http://app.strava.com/activities/42969333

When our lass wants to go for a ride, I ride behind her so we go at her pace and I try and keep it flat and on cycle paths so she feels safe. Got her to do 17 miles today, took us two hours, but with the Giro Challenge I ain't complaining.

When our lass wants to go for a ride, I ride behind her so we go at her pace and I try and keep it flat and on cycle paths so she feels safe. Got her to do 17 miles today, took us two hours, but with the Giro Challenge I ain't complaining.
I wish or lass would. I would just be happy if she starts with 2 miles in 4 hours, still I can dream.

monkeylc

Über Member

17 mile :thumbsup:
she'll get there in the end,we all start somewhere. (my wife I mean)

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Well done to everyone who's got out. Those club runs put some of us (i.e. me) to shame. :ohmy: Just a 10 mile recovery ride for me today, my legs still haven't got used to this whole 5 rides a week business.

SWSteve

Guru
Both club rides today. The social got a bit slow today. Few newcomers were struggling to keep the pace (avg about 5-6mph) so was holding a lot of us back and stopping to wait etc
were you in a childen's club? That sounds bizarrely slow? The club ride near me says the 'slow' sunday rides are 10-13mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom