Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Good luck with Saintbury hill guys, when my legs recover I'm going to have a go at it myself. Definitely not tomorrow though. :laugh:

I'm N+1ing quite badly right now. Today's ride included quite a few junctions, a couple of roundabouts, quite a few sets of traffic lights as well as some seriously steep descents. This was the first time I'd done the route since fitting SPDs and it was a real pain clipping in and out constantly and the brakes struggled to stop me going down a couple of the descents.

I've been quite tempted by a Boardman Hybrid for a while. They're barely any heavier than my road bike and have slicks so they're quick but have disc brakes and I would fit flat pedals. I've always found flat bar bikes nicer to ride for short, gentle rides too.

Might head out to Halfords tomorrow. Could be a nice knock about bikes for days when I just want a pootle about and not do anything serious...like tomorrow! Would be great when the weather is better too, I could just get on in my trainers and pedal off somewhere.

AndyPeace

What Time are you about tomorrow Andy ? I want another go at the hill.
I am leaving here at 1pm and am planning to approach Saintbury through Elmley Castle, Hinton Cross and Childswickham. Any good to you? be nice to take on the hill in company!

simmi

Über Member
I have just bought my 13 year old lad a bike from ebay, a 2011 Specialized Secteur.
$(KGrHqV,!lEFD)eZzTqBBRK9j4P+IQ~~60_12.JPG

And some nice shimano A530 double side pedals to go with it.
$T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjKU(BQktWWISug~~60_12.JPG

After about an hour of practice around our estate with much excitement and a little trepidation we ventured out onto the roads.
We did a 12.1 mile loop with only a couple of gentle slopes.
He wanted to stop just the once, not because he was tired but to have a little stretch as he had never ridden a racer before and was getting back ache from the bent position.
http://app.strava.com/activities/42835048
Our average speed of 13.1mph was quicker than my first ever ride, I was very proud of him!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I have just bought my 13 year old lad a bike from ebay, a 2011 Specialized Secteur.

After about an hour of practice around our estate with much excitement and a little trepidation we ventured out onto the roads.
We did a 12.1 mile loop with only a couple of gentle slopes.
He wanted to stop just the once, not because he was tired but to have a little stretch as he had never ridden a racer before and was getting back ache from the bent position.
http://app.strava.com/activities/42835048
Our average speed of 13.1mph was quicker than my first ever ride, I was very proud of him!

Very nice bike! He's a lucky lad. Must be quite fit too, that was faster than my first ever ride too....by 2mph. :blush:

simmi

Über Member
Very nice bike! He's a lucky lad. Must be quite fit too, that was faster than my first ever ride too....by 2mph. :blush:
No in fact he wanted to cycle to get his fitness up, I also have to say he is not your average 13 year old the bike is a 60cm frame and we haven't had to move the saddle from where it is in the picture, 6ft 1" and 34" inseam.
Might have to get him a shorter stem though if he continues to get back ache.

flatflr

Guru
Apologies as I posted this in the todays ride thread but as i'm a newbie I thought it would be ok to post a little update here. A few months ago I was happy with a 10 mile ride and maybe a few longer rides which were a bit of an adventure for me. I've not been able to ride as much as I would like due to work commitments, but today I managed just over 30 miles in just over 2 hours, legs are feeling fine (might be a bit different tomorrow), and the house is full of bike kit (one in the kitchen and two under the stairs).

Creakyknee

Time 04:20:14
Elapsed Time 04:40:44
Avg Temp 50°F
Max Speed 28.9mi/h
Avg Speed 15.7mi/h
Cadence 79
Distance 68.1mi
If thats newbie progress I must be really fookin crap! :tongue:

Well got first road bike in August, started getting serious Oct/November time, and I did a flat route today for ease. Got a decent light tailwind as well on a large chunk : )
Still consider myself a beginner though as i'm rubbish on the climbs as my segments show. Although trying to do something about that.

Well got first road bike in August, started getting serious Oct/November time, and I did a flat route today for ease. Got a decent light tailwind as well on a large chunk : )
Still consider myself a beginner though as i'm rubbish on the climbs as my segments show. Although trying to do something about that.
I re-started just a little before you in June (back end off), and like you started to tackle hills in sept/oct, last month I climbed more per mile than any previous month, and whilst not really a distance rider I am liking climbing the little hills we have here, now a days, I hated them when I started, the one upto the house, I couldn't stand at all after a 20 mile run let alone nearly 30, today I climbed from the bottom to the first peak out of the saddle. 0.3 of a mile @ 4.1% @8.3mph not fast but not hurtful either in that I thought I was going to die like the first time I did it in Aug, it took nearly two months before I tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom