Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reece

Veteran
Just joined the current strava challenge and the leader is already 79% done in 3rides. That's some going or something dodgy going on

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just joined the current strava challenge and the leader is already 79% done in 3rides. That's some going or something dodgy going on

I saw that, looks very dodgy

First time using strava and with hangover.
strava says avg is 14.0 but cateye comp says 14.9?
loving the strava though :thumbsup:

http://app.strava.com/activities/42805602
Is the comp set for the right wheel circumference, if so it's probably the gps track thats off, for instance.
t1.JPG

There's a bit of wondering on the track, this would lead to an increase in distance, check the times from the comp compared with what the phone recorded. (moving time), I use a cadence/speed sensor which is supposed to record speed and distance according to the wheel rotation (these is always some error due to tyre wear ect..) but is usuallly more accurate than a gps track, even from the garmin.

Sometimes wonder if your shape changes a bit once you get fitter. I have been having some pretty serious discomfort the last couple of rides and think I have made a mistake in purchasing a selle smp trk. Think it's too wide in the nose and possibly too padded. Can't really afford it but I have just ordered a Specialized Lithia Comp. Normally £50 but found a bargain at Leisure Lakes and got one for £31. Not so plush looking but I really think with saddles the less is more seems to be true, especially once you ride further.
I think your right Maureen, I will look see what Evan's and Halfords have in the £20 mark, as I say it wasn't too bad just I dont think I would like to do much more than 30-40 miles on it (though i did ride to London on in it in 2008 without padded shorts, mind I didn't ride up to many hills.)

Just back from a 35 mile ride. God that was hard work. I hadn't done that route since November because the bridge at Fladbury has been flooded almost continually since then. Before I only did it when I was cycling once or twice a week but this was my 11th ride in 16 days. My heart and lungs could cope fine, it's my legs that can't hack it! They ached from start to finish and I could barely climb the stairs when I got home! Someone please tell me they'll get used to this frequency of cycling because honestly I think I'd rather do 80 miles after a 5 day break than do even 10 miles tomorrow.

I almost got shaken to death as the flooding has deteriorated the roads even more. One good thing though is that the bike looks like I've just washed it as the dried mud on the back of the seat post was shaken off. :laugh:

http://app.strava.com/activities/42803700

Anyway apart from that it was a good ride. ;) It's a beautiful day out there.
Yea they will, sort of, it's like when I went out today, just couldn't get going till that guy over took me, then it went ok, mind I think some of it was getting use to the new riding position, but I need a rest.

monkeylc

Über Member
Is the comp set for the right wheel circumference, if so it's probably the gps track thats off, for instance.

There's a bit of wondering on the track, this would lead to an increase in distance, check the times from the comp compared with what the phone recorded. (moving time), I use a cadence/speed sensor which is supposed to record speed and distance according to the wheel rotation (these is always some error due to tyre wear ect..) but is usuallly more accurate than a gps track, even from the garmin.

It's set right.
Max Speed on strava 24.8mi/h
Max Speed on cateye 25.00mi/h
not much difference there?
Distance 9.9mi on strava but 10.21 on cateye,not that much difference I suppose.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yeah realised he was an Aussie so is ahead timewise. Still some great going! Wish I had time to ride that much lol!

I wish I had a bum that would cope with riding that much! :laugh:

monkeylc

Über Member
View attachment 19900
sorry,just realized that the image is from my ride (I am hungover)
Yeh I can't remember riding through those gardens :wacko:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Yea they will, sort of, it's like when I went out today, just couldn't get going till that guy over took me, then it went ok, mind I think some of it was getting use to the new riding position, but I need a rest.

I'm glad to know it gets better! When I first started I was riding 4/5 days a week and my legs just killed me from start to finish on every ride, then over the winter I've only been riding once or twice a week spaced apart and they never hurt me at all, I was only limited by my cardiovascular system. Now I've gone back to 4/5 rides a week it's the complete opposite though. I just hope my legs get used to it soon because it's agony right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom