Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigz

Regular
will do mate I used a car compressor which only went upto 80 psi !!! so will take your advice and get a track pump I've getting upto 10 miles on me old mountain bike but it was straining do invested in this chinook much lighter an lightning quick!!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Got out in the (light) snow and -0.5 temp' - cold weather suits me fine tbh.

10.88 miles / 53.34 mins / 12.2mph. 3 good sized 'up' hills and 1 really long 'down'.

Pants story:

Have been wearing pants under my padded shorts for hygiene reasons. Bum has been a bit sore after each ride. Went pant-less today and no discomfort whatsoever! Should've listened to the advice on here!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Got out in the (light) snow and -0.5 temp' - cold weather suits me fine tbh.

10.88 miles / 53.34 mins / 12.2mph. 3 good sized 'up' hills and 1 really long 'down'.

Pants story:

Have been wearing pants under my padded shorts for hygiene reasons. Bum has been a bit sore after each ride. Went pant-less today and no discomfort whatsoever! Should've listened to the advice on here!

Commando is definitely the way to go. :thumbsup:

So bad worded towards myself... this ..... http://app.strava.com/activities/42129419 was my second attempt on Saintbury Hill... it went the same way as the first time, in that I couldn't find it. Starting to think I should take up track cycling, as I'm less likely to get lost.

Fantastic distance in this weather mate. You weren't far from Saintbury Hill, just need to carry on down the A44, turn left at the roundabout and then look out for the turning on the right:

saintbury hill.png

It must be the cold weather or something to do with the bike. You can't have lost fitness with the amount you cycle!
I am stripping as we speak (so to speak) upping the gearing, but what killed some of the ride was the wind particularly this bit http://app.strava.com/activities/42086126#705485565 and this http://app.strava.com/activities/42086126#705485574 though I needed a call of nature on that bit, which is why strava shows it so slow. 1.23 miles in 6:13 11.9mph 7.7 mph headwind (well as near as dam) table showing the 2 mile split times I normally do at 14mph+
2mile splits.JPG

the two that are well below 13mph were those two sections a moving average if you want to see
Overlay 24-02-2013.jpg

AndyPeace

Fantastic distance in this weather mate. You weren't far from Saintbury Hill, just need to carry on down the A44, turn left at the roundabout and then look out for the turning on the right:

This was the course I had programed into the gps http://connect.garmin.com/course/2685598
The most terminal error that happened was off Broadway Road, Just outside Evesham... I had planned to turn onto Wickhamford lane. It turned out to be a muddy track with two locked gates saying private road. Got my head around how to divert around it by looking at the map and assumed the Garmin would just take up the trail when we got back on course, but nope it decided to re-direct me back round in a loop to the start of the non-existent Wickhamford Lane! After that it just got comical and at one point I had two white arrows on the Garmin screen pointing to each other down the same road... I think I got the Monty Python edition of the Garmin 800! By that point it was starting to get dark and given my sense of direction though I'd better head to familar roads! Was a good distance, just disappointed I didn't get the climbing challenge I set out for.

I thought the temperature was going to feel worse than it did, mind you I had a compression top, base layer, thin aldi thermal top and a windproof jacket (and a scarf, two hats, three pairs of socks and my winter gloves)

This was the course I had programed into the gps http://connect.garmin.com/course/2685598
The most terminal error that happened was off Broadway Road, Just outside Evesham... I had planned to turn onto Wickhamford lane. It turned out to be a muddy track with two locked gates saying private road. Got my head around how to divert around it by looking at the map and assumed the Garmin would just take up the trail when we got back on course, but nope it decided to re-direct me back round in a loop to the start of the non-existent Wickhamford Lane! After that it just got comical and at one point I had two white arrows on the Garmin screen pointing to each other down the same road... I think I got the Monty Python edition of the Garmin 800! By that point it was starting to get dark and given my sense of direction though I'd better head to familar roads! Was a good distance, just disappointed I didn't get the climbing challenge I set out for.
Try using ridewithgps export the file as a tcx drag to new files on the garmin, the unit will convert it, it even gives turn by turn directions, though it might suffer from the same thing if you set it to cycle planning, I just use it on road, but modify it should it need be, its very easy to use, the only thing is on the 500 at least it doesnt set the right speed for the V.P. not that I use that.

I downloaded that strava ap onto my phone today and i'm just analyzing it now but i have a question. Is the moving time what it suggests? i.e. the time i was out minus the time i was stopped.

jim55

Guru
iv been out a couple of times recently and while im not the fastest im def not the slowest ,tdy i was out and kept a close eye on speed ,on the flat while moving i dont think i was below about 15 mph (more like 17 and downhill i seen 28 )now uphills i obv wasnt going as fast but in total this must have been about 10% of the ride so when poss i wasnt hanging about ,felt as if i gave a fair bit of effort ,was dissapointed to say the least when i checked my average ,,11.2 mph!!just goes to show riding in a city full of traffic and lights and stuff really affects ur average

Managed 7.5 miles in the end in the cold, then stopped round a friends for a cuppa and a slice of cake, well 2 Eccles, nearly the same thing. Then did 4 miles but my legs hurt to much in the cold so sod Rule 5 I buggered off home. :smile:
You should have tried this section those arrows are wind markers at 2mins reading between 6.5 & 8mph.
and for the most part open fields and flat as a pancake.
wind.JPG

It must be the cold weather or something to do with the bike. You can't have lost fitness with the amount you cycle!
Just stripped the rear bearing, it's running better, though I think I need a new chain & cassette, I have changed the ratios from 26/23/21/19/17/15/13 to 24/21/19/17/15/13/11, as I never use the 26/26 anymore, even on the climb up through Netherton on Tuesday. I dont think it will want to change smoothly from 17 to 15, though i could put the old 15 back on I wont use 13/11 very much so could cope with that for a few days. What it will do though is give me some extra down hill, when its set up right, for 97.1" to 114.8"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom