Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I was doing 8000+ miles a year as a fit & experienced cyclist, so doing 4000 in your first year is definitely good.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Well done Liam and Reece. It looks like you're both about the same level as me. I set a new PB for distance and average pace today too. :smile: 26.8 miles and 14.4 mph average in fairly windy conditions. I used strava for the first time today, it shows 26.5 miles and 14.2 mph average which is a little disappointing. Obviously I knew my trip computer wouldn't be 100% accurate but I hoped it would be underestimating my times! Oh well.

http://app.strava.com/rides/23471193

Liamjc90

Yea Strava can be a bit out but for a free app it does pretty well gives you a decent amount of info to. i use it on my iphone and the gps on them is ok from my experience. Its good enough for me i mean its just to track what im doing, i can forgive it if its a few 100 meters out.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Yep it's brilliant for a free app. It wasn't too far out anyway and the trip computer probably isn't perfect so I'll probably just take an average of both.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Well done Davey. :smile:

RWright

Guru
I did over 15 mph average yesterday over a ten mile route I regularly ride. First time I have done a ride over 15 mph. I did it on my Electra Towne of all things too. My drop bar bike is out of commission for a couple of days while the rear wheel is being trued. I tried for a over two weeks to true it myself but couldn't get it worked out.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I was all geared up for a long ride today but the wind defeated me. :sad: I only managed 17 miles and only at 13.4 mph average.

I worked out that at my weight, to maintain 15mph average requires the following amount of power in different wind conditions:

0mph wind: 39W
5mph wind: 94W
10mph wind: 183W
15mph wind: 317W
20mph wind : 503W

So no wonder the 18mph wind felt twice as hard to cycle in as the 10mph wind on saturday - it is! And then some.

To put it another way - maintaining 15mph today requires the same amount of power as maintaining 30mph on a completely still day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom