Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GentlyBenevolent

Managed to make hay while the sun shined over the weekend. Saturday and Sunday rides, for a total of 32 miles over both days, and 2,600ft climbed. Was particularly pleased with Sunday, as although I stopped a couple of times for a quick breath-catch, it's the first ride over 20 miles.

Feel tired and hungry today though!

Bought a hybrid in May and started from scratch. Furthest so far is the London to Windsor ride which came in at 57 miles and took about 4.5hrs (ie. quite slow).

The hybrid is definitely easier when I change onto the skinny tyres although I only really do that if i'm going to do a longish road-only ride.

Thinking about the Bath-Clew Valley ride in a couple of weeks to close out the season; another 50 miler. TBH I've not really cycled as much as i'd have liked so progress is slow, but these intermittent organised rides do keep my motivation up. Dark evenings kind of rule out riding in the week which is a shame.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Great work everyone :biggrin:

I battled through 15 miles today in just over an hour. The wind made it feel like I had done about 30 miles though. :ohmy:

Liamjc90

Great work everyone :biggrin:

I battled through 15 miles today in just over an hour. The wind made it feel like I had done about 30 miles though. :ohmy:

I know what you mean i was in about 4th gear going down hill, i never thought i have to push down hill. Plus got soaked on the way home so went out tonight at bought a nice new waterproof jacket.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I know what you mean i was in about 4th gear going down hill, i never thought i have to push down hill. Plus got soaked on the way home so went out tonight at bought a nice new waterproof jacket.

I had the same thing happen to me. Spent ages plodding up a hill and then couldn't free-wheel down the other side, the wind had reduced me to 6mph. So no respite for my poor legs. Still, it's good training I suppose!

not really a 'newbie' but nowhere near a 'proper' cyclist. after nearly 18 months off through medical reasons i started again in april, first ride was about 5 miles and was horrible. now doing the following route at least once a week (although not been out for a couple of weeks because of holidays) at an average of 17.3mph and am 2 1/2 stone lighter!
http://app.strava.com/activities/22894228
i love cycling!!!
(45 years old so middle age is no barrier!!!!!)

Liamjc90

Very inspiring Broughtonblue, if i can manage something like that within 18 month i'll be really happy.

Potter930

Regular
My longest ride is a dismall 5miles so far, this was on my old mountain bike on grass (not sure if that makes a difference)
Looking at getting a hyrbid and starting to cycle on the road.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
My longest ride is a dismall 5miles so far, this was on my old mountain bike on grass (not sure if that makes a difference)
Looking at getting a hyrbid and starting to cycle on the road.

5 miles on grass on a mountain bike is good going! hybrids are great fun once you get used to them, road bikes are the next step after that!!!

Potter930

Regular
5 miles on grass on a mountain bike is good going! hybrids are great fun once you get used to them, road bikes are the next step after that!!!
Really?? I thought it was a naff attempt... Looking forward to getting a hybrid, one of my mates has a road bike, swears by it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom