Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know my weight at the moment ( scales broken) but guess around 18 st. I can get down on the drops but my stomach get pushed up and I find it harder to breathe.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
This guy is great and makes it look easy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
Had puncture tonight and got the marathon winter back on first time using this method, except I didn't use the straps. :smile:

Also replaced a stud okay, apart from knackering my best ratchet screwdriver which I thought was the ideal diameter to hold the stud, the bleeding thing is holding it now, it is completely jammed inside :cursing:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Congrats on the weight loss Billy and well done to everyone who's got out. I haven't had a chance all week and now it's going to rain all weekend. :sad: Very frustrating, especially as I have fitted new wheels to the Triban today.

Mine still is at 13st 12lb, I have also got very big thighs which add to it.
I find if I pedal heel down when I come over the top my legs do not come up as high.
Thats why your quicker than me, I knew it wasn't the bike.
Just keep at it Brian and Billy the weight will come down.
I did 40+ some years ago, the bike isn't geared to go that fast.
I did 25 miles with a climb rate of 59.52ft per mile and an avg gear " of 59.52 it stopped recording the cadence after 14 miles so i dont know how accurate that is. however it is slight more climbing than Tuesday but not as far, and I was nearly 1/2 mpg faster 12.58 to 12.97, it was more of an ad-hoc ride I just rode after the hospital, but i was pleased with this Loscoe Ln Climb because I did it the same little segment on my second ride back in June, and it nearly killed me, and if I have the data right means I climbed it with an avg 62.92" gear which is about 48/20 so on my bike would be 19 or 21 on the rear, which is about right, I have found I am doing more climbing in the 48 ring.
I got 3 new p.b.'s but as they ar part of the same stretch of road i dont suppose they count that much apart from I did a better time over the section. This used to terrify me Park Lane to Jubilee Way normally its after a long stretch which is a slight climb, then you have that little climb, well I would have got a p.b. but the fact my bungee hooks were lose, it now doesn't bother me.
I suppose my speed may increase a little as I am building strength/stamina climbing in higher gears, which hopefully will have a knock on effect what gearing I can use on the flat. I might try a more sedate ride tomorrow, and see if it has.
http://app.strava.com/activities/40188642

:surrender: OK I give up hope of a good ride for today, horrible drizzle and cold. I even earnt a weekend ride pass from OH. :surrender:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
:surrender: OK I give up hope of a good ride for today, horrible drizzle and cold. I even earnt a weekend ride pass from OH. :surrender:

Same here. Got my new bike sitting in the living room waiting for me to ride it as well, never ridden on skinny tyres before so I want to go out when it is dry for my first ride, plus it is white and I don't want to get it filthy just yet. :wacko:

On the plus side I have fitted the bottle cage, rear light, mount for the GPS and front light mounts.:smile:

Also replaced the missing studs on the winter tyres on the hybrid - had one completely gone on the front and two I replaced on the rear as they were half out.:smile:

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Skived off work yesterday afternoon and got in a good 25 miles in decent weather. Out again this morning for another 20 miles. For the first time this year I ventured up hill into the Brecon Beacons. I struggled to get my 21 stone over the hills and the last 7 miles were into a cold north wind and a gradual up hill.

http://app.strava.com/activities/40270710

Averaged 12.5 which was disappointing. Beating Bowel Cancer confirmed my London 100 place this week so I need to knuckle down, lose weight and do much more up hill riding. The 7 months will pass quickly.

Better weather and lighter nights will no doubt help.

Reece

Veteran
Skived off work yesterday afternoon and got in a good 25 miles in decent weather. Out again this morning for another 20 miles. For the first time this year I ventured up hill into the Brecon Beacons. I struggled to get my 21 stone over the hills and the last 7 miles were into a cold north wind and a gradual up hill.

http://app.strava.com/activities/40270710

Averaged 12.5 which was disappointing. Beating Bowel Cancer confirmed my London 100 place this week so I need to knuckle down, lose weight and do much more up hill riding. The 7 months will pass quickly.

Better weather and lighter nights will no doubt help.

Nice one Phil and everyone else who's been out

Ive got my first Audax tomorrow although the weather forecast isn't great :rain:

But I'm hell bent on getting out unless real heavy rain, snow or considerably icy roads. A few others I'm riding with are getting itchy feet sue to the forecast but plenty others are definitely riding (70 of them road it in the snow last year lol). Fingers crossed

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Nice one Phil and everyone else who's been out

Ive got my first Audax tomorrow although the weather forecast isn't great :rain:

But I'm hell bent on getting out unless real heavy rain, snow or considerably icy roads. A few others I'm riding with are getting itchy feet sue to the forecast but plenty others are definitely riding (70 of them road it in the snow last year lol). Fingers crossed

Reece, the roads have been icy the last few mornings going to work, but have been clear by evening time, assuming the Audax doesn't start too early, ice shouldn't be a problem, snow is forecast tomorrow, but if the roads stay wet I can't see it settling.

Enjoy your ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom