Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just shy of 28 miles today and finished the month on 572.95 miles
In this wind? Well done you :bravo:

Just do it (-;
I remember you telling me that once on the 31st of Oct.
Well I got over 400 for the month, not as much as you Chris.
32.1 miles, but with the climbing its the toughest so far this year 1687ft on strava, though I think it was nearer 1800, everything reports it different. 7 p.b.'s though some were new sections, this I think was the most difficult. I am quite getting to like these hills.
http://app.strava.com/activities/39291429#642027944
Well done everyone that got out, it was a little breeze. avg speed was poor however, though in fairness it was a bitty ride, to docs for scripts to chemist dropped them off, bit of a ride, then find a shop for matches (left lighter at home), then ride to the spot I have a smoke, chemist pick up meds, then shop for coffee.
The other thing is, I think I could cope with a compact double now, because I never used less than 38/26 today, so if I put my train fair away (well what it would cost) I reckon that by 2019 I could get a new bike.
Elevation profile.
Course Score 2013-01-31.jpg

http://app.strava.com/activities/39291429

RWright

Guru
Nigel, congrats on getting the 400 miles in for the month.

I did 10 windy miles today on my drop bar bike. I am going to put it on the work stand this weekend and start getting it ready for spring. I wanted to get in another ride or two on it before I spend a week or so fettling.

There was a steady 15 MPH wind from the west today, so I took a north south route. :smile:
The crosswind wasn't too bad but was noticeable, especially so on the open areas.
After the past few days I am ready for the wind to lighten up some.

I don't know if any of you have been checking out the leaders on the Strava base mile blast but they are putting up some serious miles. I think there is going to be some drama with the results. The guy that has been in 2nd is now in 3rd. HOWEVER, he hasn't posted any rides for the last two days of the event....yet.

RWright

Guru
Just refreshed the Base Mile Blast page, second just went past 1st place, he was well over 200 miles behind and now is over 165 ahead. :laugh: 3rd is still back there over 424 down but hasn't put any rides in the past two days. Sorry for getting off topic but this is crazy stuff.

Nigel, congrats on getting the 400 miles in for the month.

I did 10 windy miles today on my drop bar bike. I am going to put it on the work stand this weekend and start getting it ready for spring. I wanted to get in another ride or two on it before I spend a week or so fettling.

There was a steady 15 MPH wind from the west today, so I took a north south route. :smile:
The crosswind wasn't too bad but was noticeable, especially so on the open areas.
After the past few days I am ready for the wind to lighten up some.

I don't know if any of you have been checking out the leaders on the Strava base mile blast but they are putting up some serious miles. I think there is going to be some drama with the results. The guy that has been in 2nd is now in 3rd. HOWEVER, he hasn't posted any rides for the last two days of the event....yet.
Thanks.
Pretty much what we had, though i think it wasn't quite that strong, I choose to ride into it, could really go anywhere else as I had little pick-ups to do, though I think I had more tailwind then head wind.
This is head/tailwind chart
2013 - Adjusted wind.png
and this is the rainfall, most of the last 15 miles.
2013 - rain.png
Talking about Starva base mile, you piped me by 1.1 mile. Well done. some serious mileages on there.

RWright

Guru
Thanks.
Pretty much what we had, though i think it wasn't quite that strong, I choose to ride into it, could really go anywhere else as I had little pick-ups to do, though I think I had more tailwind then head wind.
This is head/tailwind chart
View attachment 18355
and this is the rainfall, most of the last 15 miles.
View attachment 18356
Talking about Starva base mile, you piped me by 1.1 mile. Well done. some serious mileages on there.
Thanks.
Interesting charts. One of the TV channel web sites in my area has this wind direction and speed indicator thing on their web site. Tonight I am going to try and strip the code out of the page and add it to my internet home/start page. I already put their live radar and 7 day weather forecast on my home page, among other things. I think the wind direction and speed indicator will be nice to have at a glance too.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Still quite strong winds out today but I was determined to do my first decent ride since I was ill and I did - 28 miles:

http://app.strava.com/activities/39367581

Whilst I was off the road because of the snow/ice/illness I put some SPDs on the triban as I had time to get used to them on the turbo trainer. I do feel more connected to the bike but boy do they make my legs ache! I guess my legs just aren't used to them.

The mileage you guys have done in January is amazing, it puts me to shame. I did 105 miles in the first 11 days of the month but then it all went wrong for the aforementioned reasons and I only got in 40 more for the rest of the month. :sad: Hoping to start and finish this month well. I knew I'd be behind my ticker (below) until the clocks went forward but I don't want to get so far behind I can't catch up!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Still quite strong winds out today but I was determined to do my first decent ride since I was ill and I did - 28 miles:

Whilst I was off the road because of the snow/ice/illness I put some SPDs on the triban as I had time to get used to them on the turbo trainer. I do feel more connected to the bike but boy do they make my legs ache! I guess my legs just aren't used to them.

The mileage you guys have done in January is amazing, it puts me to shame. I did 105 miles in the first 11 days of the month but then it all went wrong for the aforementioned reasons and I only got in 40 more for the rest of the month. :sad: Hoping to start and finish this month well. I knew I'd be behind my ticker (below) until the clocks went forward but I don't want to get so far behind I can't catch up!

Good ride that. Everyones circumstances are different therefore I wouldn't worry about how many miles you have done against others.

simmi

Über Member

Well done for getting out again!

With regards to you comment above it might be worth getting you cleat position checked by a LBS.

I had mine checked and they were quite a way out from the middle position I had set them at and my feet were different sizes so each shoe was different.

If I understood correctly you should be pushing from just below the joint of your big toe.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Good ride that. Everyones circumstances are different therefore I wouldn't worry about how many miles you have done against others.

Thanks. That's true. I'm sure I will meet my goal in the end anyway, during the summer I can see myself going out almost every night to cycle.

Well done for getting out again!

With regards to you comment above it might be worth getting you cleat position checked by a LBS.

I had mine checked and they were quite a way out from the middle position I had set them at and my feet were different sizes so each shoe was different.

If I understood correctly you should be pushing from just below the joint of your big toe.

Thanks! I think part of the problem is that the toe clips weren't quite right for me, I was pedalling too much with my toes and not the ball of my foot which was causing me to strain my Achilles tendons. I was quite worried they were going to snap a couple of times. The ache I have now is more of an ache than a strain which is a good thing if you see what I mean. Hopefully I will just get used to it but if it persists I will definitely head down to my LBS to get them adjusted. I'm still thinking of having a full and proper bike fit and getting a better bike to be honest.

Got to agree with Chris.
+1
Thanks.
Interesting charts. One of the TV channel web sites in my area has this wind direction and speed indicator thing on their web site. Tonight I am going to try and strip the code out of the page and add it to my internet home/start page. I already put their live radar and 7 day weather forecast on my home page, among other things. I think the wind direction and speed indicator will be nice to have at a glance too.
I use sporttracks, which has plugins at a cost, for things like weather ect.. its non web based.

Two rides today, one to the hospital another just short of 30 miles.
Two p.b's though to be honest i didn't think I got any, overall 3ft extra per mile climb, than yeaterday ove 2 miles further and 0.6mph quick at 12.78mph. Total of 1966ft in total. Thats the most I have climbed per mile in a wk on avg.
There were some tough hills for me today this one was particular difficult, I am 48th out of 52 which doesn't surprise me and I was down on the 26th front and 26/23 rear. (but again I had my panniers with me so another 3-5Kg) Kippax Hill, though I did knock 48's of this A63 up then down probably due to tailwinds of 5+mph. though i think I am pleased with this, Woodlesford to Swillington Common 2.1 miles 240ft @ 2.2% avg 8th out of 9, but pleased with a first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom