Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
(good thread)

I started riding around a year ago,I was 48,13 1/2 stone and unfit

Bought a Felt QX65 Hybrid and tootled around for a few months for 3 to 5 miles on flat and a few hills and averaging 10mph and to me was a great achievement

I then bought a Specialized Allez,tootled round for a few more months increasing my miles to 8-10 and also did the Greater Manchester Ride in the 13 mile event and again was pleased with my efforts

Carried on riding,again upping the miles to 15-20 miles every 2-3 days

Then bought a Tricross to deal with the poor roads but missed my road bike so bought a Cube Peloton Pro,kept up the riding out every few days

A few weeks ago I did the Manchester 100 and completed 100 miles, averaging 15mph :highfive:

I'm well pleased with what cycling has done for me as I'm a stone lighter and feel much healthier :smile:
(Still hate these bloomin hills around here though :ohmy:)

Eager2bSmaller

Just done my first ride of over 15 miles. Was hilly (from my point of view) and only 10.5 mph. But that is the distance I need to commute. I just need to work on the speed now. Oh, and work on the stamina too. I would sleeping at my desk the way I feel right now.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I've just got back from a holiday in Menorca and it's great to see that this thread has not just been kept alive but that so many people have replied. :smile: I've just read through all 6 pages since I left and it's really great to see everyone's stories.

My holiday was booked before I started cycling but you can tell how badly bitten I am by the bug because the first thing I did when I got there was to look for a place to rent a bike! Had to settle for an old steel MB but it did the job. Cycling round Menorca was a joy, there is a 1.5m cycle lane/safety zone by the side of most of the roads and it is not as hilly as it is round my neck of the woods. There are also probably less potholes on the entire island than there are on some 3-4 mile stretches of road around my house. The heat made me keep up a better pace than the 11mph or so I have been doing on my Triban here, as it is nice and cool when you are going fast as the wind cools you but it's hot when you pootle along and boiling when you stop! When I got off I couldn't chuck myself into the swimming pool quickly enough. Normally I put on about half a stone when going on holiday as I like to sample the local cuisine and the wine but I actually managed to lose 2 lbs as a result of the swimming and cycling!

I have just got back from doing my usual 20 mile route and improved my previous best of 11.6mph average to 13.4mph. I feel more confident about traffic now as on the flats/downhill bits I am generally doing 15-18mph and as these are country lanes the cars are only doing around 30-40, so the speed differential is not as great as when I was pootling along at 8-10mph.

My local cycling club does runs of around 40 miles and having started on 5th of August it was my goal to be able to do that at around 16mph average by the spring/early summer time but hopefully if I keep going the way I am I will be able to reach that goal in the new year.

DeepBurn

Über Member
I've just got back from a holiday in Menorca and it's great to see that this thread has not just been kept alive but that so many people have replied. :smile: I've just read through all 6 pages since I left and it's really great to see everyone's stories.

My holiday was booked before I started cycling but you can tell how badly bitten I am by the bug because the first thing I did when I got there was to look for a place to rent a bike! Had to settle for an old steel MB but it did the job. Cycling round Menorca was a joy, there is a 1.5m cycle lane/safety zone by the side of most of the roads and it is not as hilly as it is round my neck of the woods. There are also probably less potholes on the entire island than there are on some 3-4 mile stretches of road around my house. The heat made me keep up a better pace than the 11mph or so I have been doing on my Triban here, as it is nice and cool when you are going fast as the wind cools you but it's hot when you pootle along and boiling when you stop! When I got off I couldn't chuck myself into the swimming pool quickly enough. Normally I put on about half a stone when going on holiday as I like to sample the local cuisine and the wine but I actually managed to lose 2 lbs as a result of the swimming and cycling!

I have just got back from doing my usual 20 mile route and improved my previous best of 11.6mph average to 13.4mph. I feel more confident about traffic now as on the flats/downhill bits I am generally doing 15-18mph and as these are country lanes the cars are only doing around 30-40, so the speed differential is not as great as when I was pootling along at 8-10mph.

My local cycling club does runs of around 40 miles and having started on 5th of August it was my goal to be able to do that at around 16mph average by the spring/early summer time but hopefully if I keep going the way I am I will be able to reach that goal in the new year.

Sounds like a superb holiday! Well done on improving your stats (and losing a couple of pounds too!!!)

Good luck with the 40 miler at your local club.

Longshot

Did 22.22 miles this afternoon in 1.32. Nice ride, good mix of ups and downs although nothing really steep. 14.4mph average so it's still creeping up.

Phill057

I use my commute to work to add in the miles. I will take the long way to work in the mornings. And in the evenings after work I will shorter long way home. I have different routes depending on how I am feeling or what time I leave the house at. I find it good and encouraging way of cycling is to have place to go to. I am going to work. I am not just out for an enjoyable cycle but I have to be some were hat a certain time. I am going to the shops to buy something and will take the long way to them. It is the way I do it and I get enjoyment out of it

cliff-p

Regular
Did my first ten miler today on the new bike, went down the east lancs towards Manchester from St Helens.

Total miles..10.9
Average speed..8 mph
Backside a bite sore and the old knees throbbed a bit but apart from that I really enjoyed the run.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Sounds like a superb holiday! Well done on improving your stats (and losing a couple of pounds too!!!)

Good luck with the 40 miler at your local club.

Yep it was and thanks a lot! :smile:

Did my first ten miler today on the new bike, went down the east lancs towards Manchester from St Helens.

Total miles..10.9
Average speed..8 mph
Backside a bite sore and the old knees throbbed a bit but apart from that I really enjoyed the run.
Well done, a little like my first ride.

Crosstrailer

Previously longest ride was 19.5 miles, planned to ride 16.5 hilly miles yesterday with my brother to watch my nephews scooter riding at a skatepark and then get a ride back with my sister in law with the bikes on the towbar rack. After arriving we were both in agreement that we could make it back without any problems and we ended up riding a 33 mile ride, 10.5 miles longer than my previous best.

I really do think the point someone made about mind over matter is very true, yesterday I went out determined that I wouldn't quit on any hills and would just ride out the burn. I found that although the lactic acid in my quads on the climbs was screaming 'stop!' I was not even close to being too short of breath to continue, it was just a case of concentrating on keeping going. I also found that just concentrating on the road a safe distance in front of the bike without staring at the top of the climb really helped as you fool yourself into thinking the climb is shorter than it is :smile:

The previous sport I was involved in (my playing retirement from causing a big change in lifestyle and a big gain of weight.......) places a big emphasis on the mental and psychological side of things and I am a firm believer in it. I won't try and pass this quote off as my own but :-

"Whether you think you will succeed or whether you think you will fail you are probably right"

Phil_bucks

My 4th week back now. Just done a 16 miler. No idea what level I am, any feedback appreciated!

15.83 mile
total ascent of 442.91 ft
Time: 1:27
Avg speed 11mph

DeepBurn

Über Member
I really do think the point someone made about mind over matter is very true, yesterday I went out determined that I wouldn't quit on any hills and would just ride out the burn. I found that although the lactic acid in my quads on the climbs was screaming 'stop!' I was not even close to being too short of breath to continue, it was just a case of concentrating on keeping going. I also found that just concentrating on the road a safe distance in front of the bike without staring at the top of the climb really helped as you fool yourself into thinking the climb is shorter than it is :smile:

Yeah that is all spot on. I have found that on most climbs it's not a case of breathlessness at all, simply the lactic acid build up which causes me to want to quit. If you can distract your legs by looking around, singing, talking to yourself and not looking at the top then it makes climbing more manageable. 90% of it is in the head.

Reece

Veteran
First 20miler today. Felt like I wanted to go out and do more when I got home. Next weekend look to do more weather dependant.

But I did have a slight off. Trying to beat a pb on a small steep hill segment on strava. Chain slipped, knee banged handlebars. Rode through the pain and is now very sore and stiff now I've sat down.

Ride here: http://app.strava.com/rides/22867073

Oh and the Strava max speed is a touch optimistic lol!

First 20miler today. Felt like I wanted to go out and do more when I got home. Next weekend look to do more weather dependant.

But I did have a slight off. Trying to beat a pb on a small steep hill segment on strava. Chain slipped, knee banged handlebars. Rode through the pain and is now very sore and stiff now I've sat down.

Ride here: http://app.strava.com/rides/22867073

Oh and the Strava max speed is a touch optimistic lol!
Well done.
I think there might be something wrong with the stats on this segment, nothing about your riding, but it says its a cat 4, 0.4miles climbing 360 ft, though when you look at the elevation its only a difference of 16 ft, can you tell me which is right or wrong.
http://app.strava.com/rides/22867073#408449438

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom