Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is near five weeks of supply, five metre cube stacked volume, the pieces (buches) are 50cm long. That stack is 5M long and 2M tall so 5M3 stacked. The gates lead to a penal lifetimes worth of outdoor servitude known as a garden.

Edit for being a plank and typing 5M2 and not 5M3.:tongue:

Last edited:

dodgy

This is near five weeks of supply, five metre cube stacked volume, the pieces (buches) are 50cm long. That stack is 5M long and 2M tall so 5M2 stacked. The gates lead to a penal lifetimes worth of outdoor servitude known as a garden.
View attachment 554872

That's a familiar site in France (or at least the bits I know)! Quite often you see people stacking their wood supply against their house walls to act as an additional layer of insulation.

How much wood you all get through for a winter? How much you pay for it?
Average for me is 19M3 stacked (about 15.2M3 after subtracting the air spaces) between late October and late March, mostly two year seasoned Oak, Hornbeam and Chestnut, costs me €50 a stere delivered not stacked.

Had two cube delivered this morning. One oak and one ash, four year seasoned and dumped at the bottom of the drive. €170 including delivery but not wheelbarrowing to the woodshed and stacking. Ash more expensive than oak but I can't remember how much more. It will last the winter and spring.

That's a familiar site in France (or at least the bits I know)! Quite often you see people stacking their wood supply against their house walls to act as an additional layer of insulation.
Yes you do. I have a reserve pile behind the barn that just appears in the photo, that is against the wall with a corrugated zinc steel "roof". The barn is heated but that wall is always warmer.

We can't get hardwood here in Scotland, it's pine or larch only and we hate larch.

This is the stove in our poxy mouse-infested cottage. 98 percent of the heat goes straight up the flue, it's garbage.

View attachment 554905
Is that hearth a piece of Savernake slate?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We can't get hardwood here in Scotland, it's pine or larch only and we hate larch.

This is the stove in our poxy mouse-infested cottage. 98 percent of the heat goes straight up the flue, it's garbage.

View attachment 554905
I live in Gods country and I can certainly get hardwood round these parts ? In fact a choice of soft or hard wood. My last order during lockdown was super, mixture of beech and oak. It burnt well ! I just cannot remember where we ordered from now :laugh:

Had two cube delivered this morning. One oak and one ash, four year seasoned and dumped at the bottom of the drive. €170 including delivery but not wheelbarrowing to the woodshed and stacking. Ash more expensive than oak but I can't remember how much more. It will last the winter and spring.
I haven't been to my place in England for years but it was expensive last time for a winter worth of wood, the only reason its cheap here is that I live between two big forests. Its pretty expensive just down the road in Poitier or up the road in Tours, about €80 a cube.

I haven't been to my place in England for years but it was expensive last time for a winter worth of wood, the only reason its cheap here is that I live between two big forests. Its pretty expensive just down the road in Poitier or up the road in Tours, about €80 a cube.

My place in "England" is actually in Holland. The wood comes from somewhere in Germany.

Top Bottom