Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
£89 for the bag pictured up thread. I won’t get through it all.

^_^^_^^_^^_^. I see a cat which by most peoples reckoning is the most ruthless and assiduous mouse hunter. I take it the beast is as useless as my cats. As my Dutch neighbour says, "perhaps you are feeding them too much".^_^

Doesn't matter how much I feed Madam Lexi, if there's a mouse to be caught, then she's your girl. ^_^

IMG_4387_small.jpg

Am willing to hire out her services. Her hourly rate is paid in prawns, overtime in milk and she really likes cheese dreamies... :whistle:

Strangely my 'Blue' is also head mouser, the others couldn't give a fig.

Must be down to the coat colour - she's my second blue (Pearl was solid blue), and both she and Pearl are crack hunters. Lexi's grandson, Rio - also blue & white - who she sometimes competes against at shows, is another prolific hunter.

Poppy (tortie) will hunt too, but only when she really can be bothered.

I take photos and video of the flues when I sweep, its the only way I can check the job. There is an inspection hatch that is too small to fit even a Victorian child labourers head so a camera is invaluable. There was no chimney at the end of the house this flue lives on, my lounge used to be a beast parlour, the flue is a nice German ADT on the outside wall and definitely not to UK building regs as it has an 85cm long tee, does it draw properly? Yes it does.
Creosote is your enemy and if you burn Pine or other conifers you will know your enemy well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I take photos and video of the flues when I sweep, its the only way I can check the job. There is an inspection hatch that is too small to fit even a Victorian child labourers head so a camera is invaluable. There was no chimney at the end of the house this flue lives on, my lounge used to be a beast parlour, the flue is a nice German ADT on the outside wall and definitely not to UK building regs as it has an 85cm long tee, does it draw properly? Yes it does.
Creosote is your enemy and if you burn Pine or other conifers you will know your enemy well.
View attachment 554920

What a lovely clean pipe you have.

Back in Lancashire we used to burn kiln-dried birch, which is excellent, it burns clean and bright. But it was trucked in from Slovenia, which is hardly eco-friendly. Here in Scotland we are surrounded by pine and larch so as we've had a bad experience with tar from larch we will have to stick with pine, which comes kiln-dried if you want.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Eucalyptus has oil in it obviously and I’ve got a stack of it! Was thinking of keeping it for the chimnea rather than burn inside ?
It's fine to burn inside, but go easy on the amount. It burns very hot and can leave sap on your chimney flue, which in turn greatly increases the chances of a chimney fire. Mixed in with other woods you'll be OK.

Eucalyptus has oil in it obviously and I’ve got a stack of it! Was thinking of keeping it for the chimnea rather than burn inside ?
Outside, it has a nice scent too, a luxury to enjoy outside. You can burn creosote rich or oil rich wood in the home hearth but you must clean thoroughly at season end or the next winter it will gain an extra durable coating that is hard to clear. Traditional open chimneys are difficult because of the nooks and crannies, convoluted liners need to be well secured for brushing. Stainless twin wall are the easiest, there are no traps or hiding places for the resin.
I was at a friend's house years ago and both very drunk we mused over what the train like sound was. A little investigation showed it was his chimney on fire.

Outside, it has a nice scent too, a luxury to enjoy outside. You can burn creosote rich or oil rich wood in the home hearth but you must clean thoroughly at season end or the next winter it will gain an extra durable coating that is hard to clear. Traditional open chimneys are difficult because of the nooks and crannies, convoluted liners need to be well secured for brushing. Stainless twin wall are the easiest, there are no traps or hiding places for the resin.
I was at a friend's house years ago and both very drunk we mused over what the train like sound was. A little investigation showed it was his chimney on fire.

Very true, our twin wall flue is swept very easily by our Sweep, the other traditional flue is however a bit more of a job... but we're obliged to get both swept every year assuming we use them, if we have a fire in them and don't have proof it was swept that year then the insurance is void:ohmy:

Top Bottom