Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
860CE5D0-0995-49DE-866F-59E2E697C818.jpeg

53F882AC-30FF-44C7-A379-406E0E8D4090.jpeg

5ED4C189-C237-4B6E-98A4-EBCFE90623A9.jpeg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ours is hardly ever that clean :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Someone told me coal was banned? The egg shaped ones are still allowed though. Bought some the one and only year I ran out of wood. I will never forget that year it took me months to recover from the trauma. It was years ago but i still have black bin half full of it. Can't bring myself to use it . Saving it for....

We can still use it here if we want - we are not in a smokeless zone. Legislation changes soon as you will be aware (same for commercial log suppliers) and we have already switched to the little 'egg' thingies - they are not as hot as coal but burn a lot longer and obviously more cleanly.

We still use the term 'coal' here out of habit - a bit like 'pull the chain' instead of 'flush the loo'. ^_^

Have you seen/used the little Stihl mini-chainsaws that are battery powered?

A friend has one and it is a cute (?) and effective piece of kit.

Yes, but far too small for the amount of work I do, alas.

My petrol-powered Stihl has a 14 inch bar and works brilliantly. I wouldn't mind a slightly larger saw actually, but I'm a rather petite lass, and it's that trade off between cutting power and being able to actually handle the thing... :blush:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I live in suburbia - despite this, there are lots of wind-felled trees on public land after any decent storm but, as I live by a river, it's virtually always willow. Useless as firewood even when it eventually dries out. I have 70 nets of kiln-dried ash a year delivered. Nets are easier to move about. My parents get free logs from a friend with a huge wood - it's all windfall, usually years old.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yes, but far too small for the amount of work I do, alas.

My petrol-powered Stihl has a 14 inch bar and works brilliantly. I wouldn't mind a slightly larger saw actually, but I'm a rather petite lass, and it's that trade off between cutting power and being able to actually handle the thing... :blush:

Crikey! I can't even get Lovely Wife to go and get the logs from under the house - spiders apparently. Mind you she seemingly has an aversion to most outside the house tasks.

And most inside come to think of it. ^_^

She is lovely though. :smooch:

In all honesty, I find chainsaws scary things. I don't really like watching them being used especially when people use them without those protective leggings/trousers or whatever they are. :wacko:

straas

Matt
I prefer the look of logs burning, but you quickly get bored of getting up and adding another log.

Ovals are great, get them lit early - turn it down and go and make dinner. Nice and toasty by the time you come back in.

straas

Matt
In all honesty, I find chainsaws scary things. I don't really like watching them being used especially when people use them without those protective leggings/trousers or whatever they are. :wacko:

I often work alongside tree surgeons, every single one either has a scar or a story - and that's with the gear.

It is surprising you can just pick one up from screwfix without any knowledge on how to safely use it.

Don't burn too much at once, some manufacturers won't guarantee their stoves if you burn eucalyptus because the oils in it makes it burn incredibly hot. I use it sparingly in mine. Like most woods it needs splitting as green as possible, because when dry it is very very tough.

thanks for that, ive just got a full load from an old friend who cut one down.

its a pain to split, even with the log bomb

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Use a splitting maul and lay into it. It doesn't cleave easily because it's fairly fibrous and the grain is twisted, so even a hydraulic log splitter might have trouble. The sawn rounds need to be no more than about 8" thick, or you'll have a really, really hard time.

Waitrose sell logs made out of used pressed coffee grounds, I haven't tried them yet but I'm intrigued, so will have to buy a bag.

ive been saving the capsules from Mrs UHS's coffee maker, does two things. firstly I mixed the grounds with standard candle wax and some syrup in the summer and made mozzi candles, worked a treat and smells quite nice too, gonna mix some with flour with the grounds and water to make a log for the wood burner to see how that turns out.

the second thing is that removing the grounds from the capsule means we can recycle them

Top Bottom