Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crikey! I can't even get Lovely Wife to go and get the logs from under the house - spiders apparently. Mind you she seemingly has an aversion to most outside the house tasks.

And most inside come to think of it. ^_^

She is lovely though. :smooch:

In all honesty, I find chainsaws scary things. I don't really like watching them being used especially when people use them without those protective leggings/trousers or whatever they are. :wacko:

Ah, I let the cats deal with the spiders. :laugh:

I'm all kitted up with the protective clobber - make sense when you've a wood to manage. Most important really, is to respect the saw. Folks out here still get a bit "alpha male" when they see a woman using power tools and doing a man's job, but if I don't do it, who else will? Besides, it's bloody good exercise - who needs gym membership. :angel:

A couple of years ago, a new neighbour heard the saw going and took it upon himself to enter the wood. Seeing me felling a dead oak, he tried to be all gallant like, you know, "I'll do that for you if you give me half the logs", and I'm like yeah, right, I've been doing this for twenty years... I told him where to stick it I guess, by saying he could help himself to deadfall. Haven't seen him since... :whistle: Not surprised he tried to pull a fast one, as logs are expensive out here in the fens... :wacko:

I'm also a dab hand with one of these... :blush:

NR1F6687_small.jpg

Boys, run away now, a girl wielding an axe is not to be messed with, trust me i know:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Mrs Ridgeway has her own Fiskars composite axe, some days it has my name on it:ohmy:

Julia9054

Guru
Ah, I let the cats deal with the spiders. :laugh:

I'm all kitted up with the protective clobber - make sense when you've a wood to manage. Most important really, is to respect the saw. Folks out here still get a bit "alpha male" when they see a woman using power tools and doing a man's job, but if I don't do it, who else will? Besides, it's bloody good exercise - who needs gym membership. :angel:

A couple of years ago, a new neighbour heard the saw going and took it upon himself to enter the wood. Seeing me felling a dead oak, he tried to be all gallant like, you know, "I'll do that for you if you give me half the logs", and I'm like yeah, right, I've been doing this for twenty years... I told him where to stick it I guess, by saying he could help himself to deadfall. Haven't seen him since... :whistle: Not surprised he tried to pull a fast one, as logs are expensive out here in the fens... :wacko:

I'm also a dab hand with one of these... :blush:

View attachment 554838
We should be a team. You chop ‘em, I’ll stack ‚em. Now we just need to think of a catchy name . . .

dodgy

We had a woodburner (well actually a multi-fuel burner, we've only ever fed it wood) installed last year, one of the best things we've done and wished we'd done it years ago!
This is a 'Clock Blithfield' and it's superbly made and highly recommended. Apparently the guy behind 'Clock' is an ex installer who knew what the ideal fire to work on would look like, so he went ahead and founded 'Clock'.

1603818322717.png

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We can still use it here if we want - we are not in a smokeless zone. Legislation changes soon as you will be aware (same for commercial log suppliers) and we have already switched to the little 'egg' thingies - they are not as hot as coal but burn a lot longer and obviously more cleanly.

We still use the term 'coal' here out of habit - a bit like 'pull the chain' instead of 'flush the loo'. ^_^
Yep it’s a smokeless zone here as well :rolleyes: , oh well .....

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
How much wood you all get through for a winter? How much you pay for it?
Average for me is 19M3 stacked (about 15.2M3 after subtracting the air spaces) between late October and late March, mostly two year seasoned Oak, Hornbeam and Chestnut, costs me €50 a stere delivered not stacked.
This is all fairly new to me , went through 3 builders bags and about 20 bags of birch from Home Bargains. That was from December to April/ May. It’s a feature for the room primarily

Top Bottom