Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very true, our twin wall flue is swept very easily by our Sweep, the other traditional flue is however a bit more of a job... but we're obliged to get both swept every year assuming we use them, if we have a fire in them and don't have proof it was swept that year then the insurance is void:ohmy:
Yes, same here. The local sweep drinks in the local watering hole and writes me a cert for €10. He trusts me and I show him a pic of the job just to be enthusiastic. He only charges about 30 but I prefer to do it myself, no sleight on him but its my place and I put my love into the job.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's fine to burn inside, but go easy on the amount. It burns very hot and can leave sap on your chimney flue, which in turn greatly increases the chances of a chimney fire. Mixed in with other woods you'll be OK.

I would make sure it's well seasoned though or condensation could pick up some nasty tars. We had that with poorly seasoned larch, watery tar dripped down our flue onto the stove, which was very distressing.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It's fine to burn inside, but go easy on the amount. It burns very hot and can leave sap on your chimney flue, which in turn greatly increases the chances of a chimney fire. Mixed in with other woods you'll be OK.
Had planned to mix it in , as I was concerned about the oil. The flue is/was booked in for a sweep in Dec by the guys who installed it, just hope he remembers gets in touch as I dont have the contact details :whistle:

A load delivered from a tipper truck has when stacked neatly about half the square metres as the truck itself. No idea about ton bags.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Going to try a bag of these tonight

2BD556F1-1714-430C-95C2-955431982E77.jpeg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My flue only ever has dry soot in it, according to the sweep. Twinwall flues don't soot up anything like chimneys do, since they stay warmer and the gas velocity is higher. I could do it myself but the sweep's not that expensive and he puts a bit of stove polish on sometimes.

lejogger

Guru

Here be ours. Any tips on getting maximum heat? Really struggle to get it to 300 degrees (according to the flue thermometer) which means it is always worryingly in the ‘creosote zone’.

we get our wood from the local farm shop but perhaps it isn’t as seasoned as they say it is?

Top Bottom