Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You don't burn all that in a year do you? Just how big is your house . . .

5m³ a year (depends the winter and amount of baking) that's 3+yrs worth so i have 3 of those around the forest shared with 2 fellas that i log with, each year we cut roughly the same amount then leave that for 3yrs before bringing up enough each year around this time.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I know what you mean, stacking is my least favourite part of the process and hence i get the children to do it, all inspired by iTunes credit:laugh:

Hmmm! I might run a similar credit system past Lovely Wife later today with hair/shoe/lippie/other girl stuff credits by her in return for emptying our dumpies.

I could well be emasculated by nightfall.... :ohmy:

Adam4868

Guru
I’d stack logs in return for shoes!
As long as your a size 10 in trainers we've got a deal.

Have you seen/used the little Stihl mini-chainsaws that are battery powered?

A friend has one and it is a cute (?) and effective piece of kit.
Bought an unused oregon battery chainsaw with self sharpening chain (ebay). You have to replace the chain and stone at the same time doesn't workout cheap. It was an original model. Which isn't very efficient. Cost me £88 delivered with 2 batteries. Batteries are over £80. I can cut about 4 loads of wood depending at what length i cut them to. (Fetch on bicycle). Assume I am less likely to be heard! They arent massively lighter than petrol and if I used petrol I wouldn't take out petrol oil etc. I would only do one tank of petrol. I don't want to cut wood over 8" 12" max otherwise they take up to much room in the trailer or won't even fit in my pannier bags. I may change the chain to standard one on the battery one to save money. They are so cheap nowadays that people talk about throwing them away rather than sharpening them?
I bought a electric chain sharpener from aldi, yet to try it out.

Someone told me coal was banned? The egg shaped ones are still allowed though. Bought some the one and only year I ran out of wood. I will never forget that year it took me months to recover from the trauma. It was years ago but i still have black bin half full of it. Can't bring myself to use it . Saving it for....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The problem with this is they also set a maximum for water content ie seasoning. As if someone was going to come round and check. If they did you would just say I am not burning that wood I am saving till ....fill in the rest yourself!
I only buy seasoned logs or kiln dried 'offcuts'/old pallets so moisture content ain't a problem :angel:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Our log store came from Amazon, only paid about £100 - 5 years later still going strong

97AE42EA-4657-4671-B1A5-1C77AE3C2F6B.jpeg

Top Bottom