Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@bluenotebob
I think you will have to agree with me, free wood burns best!!

I find ash leaves very little ash (the English language, eh?). Only need to empty the small ashpan every 3 weeks or so. Oak and eucalyptus leave more.

I remember a family cottage with a coal fire...that seemed to produce about the same volume of cinders as the coal that went in!

Yes i remember our old Morso Squirrel that we ran in the UK on smokeless, as you say it needed emptying every day, vs wood which for us is hardly at all. The Rayburn has been on for a few weeks now and i'm pretty sure we haven't emptied the ask pan once.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
View attachment 554621

View attachment 554622

A long the side of the house View attachment 554623
Made out of pallets. Sides made out of round bale pallets. View attachment 554624
Down the side of the garage. Only 2 foot wide.
All fetched on my bikes. Either 10 to 12 inches long in the 4 pannier bags on my Santos's or around 22 inches long on my electric bike using a trailer.
Ran out of wood stores so some wood in front of third picture.
View attachment 554627

The wood in front of the pallet wood store. Really need some pallets for another couple of wood stores to feed my addiction.

I think I may be an addict. Addicted to foraging particularly for wood. I cut up the wood (all fallen trees) and collect it when exercising the dog.
I will probably have it burning all day everyday till the end of winter. It doesn't go out at night.

Central heating is LPG. So I save about £750 year. That's a guess. When i take out a contract with a new supplier (2 year) I agree to use 2000 litres a year. I doubt I use 250. Eventually they notice and won't reduce my price at renewal. The present one didn't notice so I got good price on what I use. One supplier gave me £150 to renew, about a years worth of LPG.

I think I must try harder on the wood front - ours turns up on the back of a wagon in dumpy bags. :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

Always. ^_^

View attachment 554652

I'm currently cutting up a mulberry and an ash, but those are for another year. Most of what is ready seasoned is oak, laurel, cherry and bullace. But then again, I do have a nice bit of woodland to play around in. :blush:

Have you seen/used the little Stihl mini-chainsaws that are battery powered?

A friend has one and it is a cute (?) and effective piece of kit.

I think I must try harder on the wood front - ours turns up on the back of a wagon in dumpy bags. :laugh:

It's usually the more expensive way to buy poorly seasoned wood of mixed source, not always though if you have a good & reliable supplier. Wood cutting and burning here is a way of life and while many people go down the DIY route as we do there more people that buy it locally from our commune, you pay a bit more but it's the same trees from the same forest just with less effort.

Adam4868

Guru
Easy enough to make a wood store if you've space,even a few pallets can be fashioned in to a lean to/wood storage.Made one myself last year.Which is probally a little too good as it gets used to store other things ^_^

https://www.southyorkshirefirewood.com/wood-burning-characteristics.html

I don't with agree everything on the site above specially about Alder.
But have to laugh at there statement about some of the wood "produce a pleasant smell" ?
If you can smell the wood burning you need to clean your chimney!

SpokeyDokey

It's usually the more expensive way to buy poorly seasoned wood of mixed source, not always though if you have a good & reliable supplier. Wood cutting and burning here is a way of life and while many people go down the DIY route as we do there more people that buy it locally from our commune, you pay a bit more but it's the same trees from the same forest just with less effort.

Not only do you have better mountains than us (I live in the English Lake District) but a better wood set-up too. ^_^

Seriously though, our wood is from a local supplier and is properly seasoned etc.

As we live out in the sticks we have oil fired central heating and for (mainly romantic) effect we have an open fire that brings the lounge to life. Main fuel is smokeless coal topped up with logs for a more flamey effect.

SpokeyDokey

Easy enough to make a wood store if you've space,even a few pallets can be fashioned in to a lean to/wood storage.Made one myself last year.Which is probally a little too good as it gets used to store other things ^_^
View attachment 554787

I do have a wood store.

We have a 'built in' carport that goes under the house and there is a handy recess in there designed to store logs.

Trouble is i am a lazy sod and just leave the unloaded dumpy bags under the carport taking the wood directly out of them for use rather than stacking it. :wacko:

The log store itself currently has numerous items of junk mail tossed in it awaiting disposal - that reminds me I must resurrect my campaign with Royal Mail to stop the damn stuff arriving in the first place. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom