RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Did it two weeks ago, it didnt seem too bad at all, a bit bumpy but no real holes.

Was there any noticeable patches in the road, or other signs work has happened there? Last time I went down there it was quite squeaky bumtime in parts.

Steppylud

Über Member
Was there any noticeable patches in the road, or other signs work has happened there? Last time I went down there it was quite squeaky bumtime in parts.

Not that I really noticed. My mate warned me about it but I didn't really have an issue.

And for a clarification I am a total pansy when it comes to pot holes/uneven road/manhole covers.

And for further clarification I am an equal pansy when it comes to going down hills fast too.

MichaelO

Guru
Been down it a few times in the last couple of weeks - it's not as bad as it was last year. Parts of the middle section (through the curves with high banks either side) has been resurfaced in the last 6 months, which was the worst part down there. The pot hole towards the top at the left hander was filled a year ago, and is still OK. There are a few bumps, but certainly nothing (that I've seen) that would cause me too much concern.

Gareth C

Veteran
Bike cleaned and checked.check
Tyres checked.check
Hotel booked. check
Food/Drink. check
Paperwork checked.check.

As above, plus...

Bike checked for cracks in the frame. Check.

Crack found where the seatpost goes in about a third of the way down to the bottom bracket, about 1cm long. Not sure how long it's been there, relatively minor, and there's a metal insert in the carbon, so I'm not too worried (plus I've wrapped it in gaffer tape, so it's probably stronger than the original). If you see someone going round out of the saddle even on the flats and descents, that'll be me!

Last edited:

slycle

Can anyone comment on how busy the drinks stations might be at Holmbury St Mary, Westcott or Box Hill? I'm hoping for a single drinks top-up stop, and ideally would be as quick as possible.

rb58

Enigma
I'm so glad I'm not doing this ride, you lot sound like a terrible bunch of carping, nagging, nitpicking, snotty daffodil nobbers :laugh:.
:okay:

sleaver

Veteran
I'm so glad I'm not doing this ride, you lot sound like a terrible bunch of carping, nagging, nitpicking, snotty daffodil nobbers :laugh:.
Its not like we haven't been moaning about people racing, the chance of it raining, the people who don't consider slower riders, potholes, how start times are unfair, cut off times, what people do or do not need to eat etc. :whistle:

swansonj

Guru

I've been reading this thread with increasing bemusement. I haven't said anything because I believe in letting everyone enjoy cycling in their own way. If you really do find that this is the way you enjoy your cycling, well, good luck to you. But honestly, the more I read about gels and queues and time slots and cutoff times and overtaking and warnings about individual potholes and bends in the road, the more I personally feel motivated to get up from my computer, go get on my bike, and just cycle somewhere -anywhere - up a hill, to the coast, or just to the pub - just enjoying the freedom and simplicity of being on a bicycle. Each to their own ... I hope you have a great time. Please come back after the event and reassure us that you actually enjoyed it.

rb58

Enigma
I've been reading this thread with increasing bemusement. I haven't said anything because I believe in letting everyone enjoy cycling in their own way. If you really do find that this is the way you enjoy your cycling, well, good luck to you. But honestly, the more I read about gels and queues and time slots and cutoff times and overtaking and warnings about individual potholes and bends in the road, the more I personally feel motivated to get up from my computer, go get on my bike, and just cycle somewhere -anywhere - up a hill, to the coast, or just to the pub - just enjoying the freedom and simplicity of being on a bicycle. Each to their own ... I hope you have a great time. Please come back after the event and reassure us that you actually enjoyed it.
Well said. This thread is full of the reasons I don't do sportives. Although the DunRun Facebook page was even more hysterical in the run up to that this year. And that's not a sportive. But, as you say, each to his/her own.

philk56

Guru
Well said. This thread is full of the reasons I don't do sportives. Although the DunRun Facebook page was even more hysterical in the run up to that this year. And that's not a sportive. But, as you say, each to his/her own.
This is only the second sportive I have attempted (the first being Tour of Flanders) and I don't intend to do many more, if any. It was the opportunity to ride over this route, on closed roads and finishing on the Mall (hopefully!) that is the main appeal for me. I have ridden many audax rides and FNRTTC's and enjoy the stress-free and friendly atmosphere on those but I am hoping this will provide a different kind of experience. Of course I may enjoy it so much that I'll be applying again for next year!

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
This is only the second sportive I have attempted (the first being Tour of Flanders) and I don't intend to do many more, if any. It was the opportunity to ride over this route, on closed roads and finishing on the Mall (hopefully!) that is the main appeal for me. I have ridden many audax rides and FNRTTC's and enjoy the stress-free and friendly atmosphere on those but I am hoping this will provide a different kind of experience. Of course I may enjoy it so much that I'll be applying again for next year!

You will apply for it next year, riding on closed roads is addictive. :tongue:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Well, thanks for that helpful and informative post.

Top Bottom