RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
What are the queues like at the food stops?
I avoided the stop at the top of Newlands last year as people said it was very busy with no way of getting out once you had realised.

I stopped in the 'water stop' which basically have water, a small amount of food and toilets in Pryford (sp?) and apart from the queue for the toilets, it was fine. I did stop at the 'hub' in Leatherhead and while there were a few people there, you could get through quickly.

I wonder if Newlands is busy because IMO, having a 'hub' at Hampton Court is quite close to the start.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I avoided the stop at the top of Newlands last year as people said it was very busy with no way of getting out once you had realised.

I stopped in the 'water stop' which basically have water, a small amount of food and toilets in Pryford (sp?) and apart from the queue for the toilets, it was fine. I did stop at the 'hub' in Leatherhead and while there were a few people there, you could get through quickly.

I wonder if Newlands is busy because IMO, having a 'hub' at Hampton Court is quite close to the start.

Newlands was busy because of the layout of the stop - to control the numbers they had a rope creating a lane you had to go all the way down, toilets at the U turn, then back to get food and water. Whole thing took 30 minutes for me to do my man business and get a banana...

I stopped at Hampton to refill a water bottle. It wasn't quiet because of how many people stopped, so much as the table and number of volunteers was as long as the drive into the place, and the whole width was available to just ride up to. So you could arrive, get your stuff, and could go. No queuing or "faffing"...

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I also stopped at Leatherhead, there was a constant flow of people but everything was accessible with no queuing. As I've mentioned before, I also tried to get mechanical help (chain was rubbing on the front derailleur in certain gears) because I was worried a niggle might become a mechanical and it was basically a waste of time queuing followed by a derisive announcement that it must be me cross chaining (it wasn't) and not to be such a crap rider and why have you got gears anyway (I may be paraphrasing) so I'd suggest not bothering trying for mechanical assistance unless something is actually hanging off/has fallen off the bike as it just uses time unproductively.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I also stopped at Leatherhead, there was a constant flow of people but everything was accessible with no queuing. As I've mentioned before, I also tried to get mechanical help (chain was rubbing on the front derailleur in certain gears) because I was worried a niggle might become a mechanical and it was basically a waste of time queuing followed by a derisive announcement that it must be me cross chaining (it wasn't) and not to be such a crap rider and why have you got gears anyway (I may be paraphrasing) so I'd suggest not bothering trying for mechanical assistance unless something is actually hanging off/has fallen off the bike as it just uses time unproductively.

Ah 3rd hub was Leatherhead? Didn't even notice it lol. Too busy catching Boris who had a flat at that point in Cobham.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I didn't see any Mavic vehicles in 2013 (not to say they weren't there) but the HUBs and drink stations have mechanical support of some description.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I saw Mavic vehicles in '13, also there was a chap at the bottom of Leith Hill, as you turned right on to the A25 on the verge on the right, with a foot pump and inner tubes for sale.

As for stopping, I didn't stop at any of the feed stations last year, I couldn't be bothered with the faff, had a big breakfast, I took what I needed and a friend of mine waited for my at West Byfleet with a flask of tea and some biccies. I stopped there, and at Richmond park for a wee.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Mavic vehicles were around in 2014, but I didn't see them doing much.

Newlands got a reputation in 2013, so I avoided it in 2014, they might have learnt their lesson and made it better. There's only one way to find out really.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
last time, no.

Stop stating this as fact.

30 minutes it took me last time at Newlands Corner to get through the queue to have a toilet break, and get a banana. Even if you dont want a toilet break, you still have to follow the queue round the system. Clearly you got there at a quiet time, but if you get there with hundreds of other people like I experienced in 2013 then yes, a massive queue is likely at Newlands. Especially with the added numbers of riders.

IMO the best thing to do if you want to avoid the chance of a big queue is to top up prior or after Newlands.

Or don't. let us know how you get on.

Unlikely at HC as it is far bigger a location to handle big numbers.

Top Bottom