One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Was the Polo with a boot called a Derby BITD ?

The Mk1 was a Derby, the one in the photo was just badged a Polo. Quite a rare survivor, they were not a big seller.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They had all gone the following morning so must have al started or been towed off!

It must have been quite some logistical task getting them all parked up, not least as there is a row of benches down the centre of the pier, making reversing them all into place a bit trickier.

Badger_Boom

Veteran
The Mk1 was a Derby, the one in the photo was just badged a Polo. Quite a rare survivor, they were not a big seller.

Nor was my old Polo estate (or 'variant' as I think VW called it), mind you they don't seem to have sold many Polos of any style in Evergreen. Can't think why.

Polo.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
Not in the UK, where small, three-box saloons were largely shunned in favour of hatchbacks, but elsewhere they were more popular.

There were quite a few Polo saloons around here at that time. My cousin had one. Actually a very practical little car with a much bigger boot than you would expect and the seats did fold down IIRC. They were quieter and more refined than the hatch too. Unfortunately, a lot were sold with that horrible 3 cylinder 1.2 engine. A TDI version would have been a decent buy.

in Menorca last week, a couple of houses up there was a mint E12 528i in this colour, i ogled it every day. My phone packed up so didn't get a pic
426-3.jpg

Top Bottom