One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I didn't know that. And I'd very much like a Laverda. My late lamented Triumph was a triple too

I think the Moto Guzzi V twin originated as an agricultural rotavator engine or something along those lines two

Nah the Guzzi engine powered a 'half track' military vehicle.

As for the Laverda a friend had a Jota for years then got rid and bought an SF 750 twin*, much better bike Willy reckoned, the Jota was too overpowered for the chassis and if 'the weave' set in virtually unrideable'
The Trident/Rocket 3 was a nice bike, better with a 'Norman Hyde' 1000cc conversion and a 'Rob North' frame............. mega money these days though, Guy Martin built one for his record breaking 'Wall Of Death' ride

* the Laverda triple was an SF with a 3rd cylinder grafted on originally a 180 degree set up they changed to a 120 degree crank in the early 80's

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Nah the Guzzi engine powered a 'half track' military vehicle.

As for the Laverda a friend had a Jota for years then got rid and bought an SF 750 twin*, much better bike Willy reckoned, the Jota was too overpowered for the chassis and if 'the weave' set in virtually unrideable'
The Trident/Rocket 3 was a nice bike, better with a 'Norman Hyde' 1000cc conversion and a 'Rob North' frame............. mega money these days though, Guy Martin built one for his record breaking 'Wall Of Death' ride

* the Laverda triple was an SF with a 3rd cylinder grafted on originally a 180 degree set up they changed to a 120 degree crank in the early 80's

My own Triumph was a modern one, sadly now written off after a bunch of thieves did a very
cack handed attempt to steal it smashing up the disk, steering lock, front wheel, probably headset etc in the process

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
My own Triumph was a modern one, sadly now written off after a bunch of thieves did a very
cack handed attempt to steel it smashing up the disk, steering lock, front wheel, probably headset etc in the process

When I was a young copper in the early 90s we had to park in public, but after hours when the 9 to 5ers who did nothing useful went home we were allowed to move our cars into the station car park.

A large and well built Sergeant known as Lumpy besause he was an ex boxer and his face was a bit, er, lumpy, a pre-PACE copper having joined in the mid 60's so not the sort to feel inclined to worry about giving a villain a slap, went to retrieve his car and found a thief sat in the drivers seat desperately trying to hot wire it.

The poor hapless thief was a clumsy sort and in his haste to escape fell down several flights of imaginary stairs. When Support Group arrived to take the prisoner away he then proceeded to then fall down several flights of stairs in the back of their van. After he'd been sentenced and was being led down to the holding cells it seems he fell down the stairs again.

He was arrested many times after that, but never again for car theft.

I must admit I was a bit taken aback, and even wondered if it was a professional standards stitch up to see if I'd report it. I did consider it, but I'd have sooner or later fallen down the stairs myself. By the early 00000s the pre-PACE dinosaurs had eithe4 retired or been promoted out of harms way and I don't recall a summary punishment happening after that, thankfully. That not to say villains didn't get poked, but it was usually righteous, an officer defending themselves or another and it's hardly the officer's fault if they were better at it.

Last edited:

dicko

Guru
One careful owner needs a few parts and a new battery. Found it today just a few yards from where we are staying on Gozo.

IMG_3970.jpeg

If anyone's in the Wakefield/West Yorkshire area, this is a very good show

Thankfully, someone's taken it over since Roland & wife stopped organising it (I know him, as his daughters & son, are friends of mine)
https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/...rst-gathering-since-covid-19-pandemic-4682635
https://fleurdelyscvs.wordpress.com/

It's just to the south-west of the city, along Horbury Road/A642, signs will be on the roadside, or follow the classics queuing to get in
I have a few photographs of various years of this show, in the 'back-pages' of this thread, search for 'Fleur-de-lys Classic'
Or, use this search; https://www.cyclechat.net/search/312160/?q=fleur+de+lys&t=post&c[thread]=208154&o=relevance

Last edited:

Kevberlin

Ora Funky Electric it seems.
New one on me.
Chinese.
No thanks……………

Kevberlin

I rather like the headlight styling - a subtle nod to the E-Type Jag, don't you think.

I quite like the overall styling. Ironically, you might say, the headlights are somewhat E Type as you pointed out. It’s the electric thing I’m not so keen on. Still, each to their own.

Drago

Legendary Member
I rather like the headlight styling - a subtle nod to the E-Type Jag, don't you think.

The styling isn't my thing, but they're supposed to be reasonable vehicles. A country mile ahead of the Zoe for less money.

They've renamed the model now. I can't see what was wrong with funk Cat. The Randy Dog saloon and Horny Buffalo pickup are also good vehicles.

Top Bottom