Olympic Cycling - SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Take a wild guess.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I don't think it will catch on in Belgium.

Seems common sense to me. Why have a poluting and noisy motorbike in an enclosed space when electric traction is now readily available? its not like motorsport where the visceral impact on the senses is part of the experience.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Seems common sense to me. Why have a poluting and noisy motorbike in an enclosed space when electric traction is now readily available? its not like motorsport where the visceral impact on the senses is part of the experience.

Actually, I think it is - a bit. The smell and noise of Derny racing is very distinctive. I'm not going to say it's fundamental to the experience or that it would be completely spoiled without it, but it's definitely part of it. Especially when you have several of them whizzing round the track - unlike the Keirin where theres just the one.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

I don’t mind an electric durny in principle. I just want it to look like a durny bike not a motorbike with a headlight and wing mirrors.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
They said on TV that all bikes have to be commercially available.
The Japanese bike, with the left hand chain is apparently $100k.
Not sure how many they will be selling.

Anyone else find it hard to follow the cycling ? - don't know whether it's the BBC or the actual scheduling.

For example to today the BBC gave us a grand total of 2 races lasting about 5 minutes before jumping to another sport.

Again not sure why - but the diving seems to be getting hours of coverage.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Anyone else find it hard to follow the cycling ? - don't know whether it's the BBC or the actual scheduling.

For example to today the BBC gave us a grand total of 2 races lasting about 5 minutes before jumping to another sport.

Again not sure why - but the diving seems to be getting hours of coverage.

I’ve heard the BBC don’t have the rights and just have to take what they get. There’s much better coverage on Eurosport.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I’ve heard the BBC don’t have the rights and just have to take what they get. There’s much better coverage on Eurosport.

They are allowed to show 500 hours with two simultaneous broadcasts, one on traditional terrestrial tv and one online. The BBC coverage has been beyond woeful.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
They are allowed to show 500 hours with two simultaneous broadcasts, one on traditional terrestrial tv and one online. The BBC coverage has been beyond woeful.

They are having to balance the interests of everyone which isn’t easy. Whilst being unfairly compared to their 2012 output.

But I do agree that there is too much chat with the pundits, whilst they wait for the action they can show.

Radio 5 are doing a good job.

Top Bottom