Olympic Cycling - SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Strange that taking an average of the finish of the men's race and the women's race and you get a normal finish

Men's race was way more than normal - and wonderfully classy
Women's race was non-existent!

watching it I honestly thought she had no idea if she was in the lead or not

then I started wondering if she knew that was the line or not

it sis seem a bit weird

possibly just an inability to believe she had actually done it - especially seeing who she was with a few minutes before!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Chapeaux to Faulkener for that move, but I don't really know why the others let her go. There was no reaction at all other than looking at each other.

What were they thinking? Just playing chicken amongst themselves whilst she rode off with the gold? A phenomenal win for Faulkner!

Can’t imagine Kopecky feels content! And my heart aches for Vas as well. Fourth is the hardest position to come in!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What were they thinking? Just playing chicken amongst themselves whilst she rode off with the gold? A phenomenal win for Faulkner!
None wanted to blunt their sprint, but one or more of them was cooked and couldn't really close, and if any was bluffing, they bluffed too long, until the lead exceeded what they could close.

We do see that happening in the Tour etc sometimes
2 big names guarding against each other taking the stage - then so no-name blasts off and they delay too long hoping the other one will chase and use up their energy so the other can pass in the finishing straight

just a bit more extreme than usual this time
good on her for playing it perfectly

figbat

Slippery scientist
I assume in Olympic road racing that it’s every (wo)man for themselves? Rather than the team approach to deliver an individual to the front that’s seen in other racing?

Alex321

Guru
I assume in Olympic road racing that it’s every (wo)man for themselves? Rather than the team approach to deliver an individual to the front that’s seen in other racing?

Not quite.

There are still teams, but much smaller than those in normal elite road racing, with a maximum of four per country, and most countries having fewer.

But you do still get the members of one country team working together to try and get the win for one of them.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Faulkner timed it perfectly and put in a really powerful and decisive attack and was a deserving winner.

I can understand why the others didn't chase. All the same I don't think it's a good look for the race. My overriding feeling was "Oh FFS".

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We do see that happening in the Tour etc sometimes
2 big names guarding against each other taking the stage - then so no-name blasts off and they delay too long hoping the other one will chase and use up their energy so the other can pass in the finishing straight

just a bit more extreme than usual this time
good on her for playing it perfectly
The long range non-sprinter last hope attac k rarely succeeds, does it? When did it last?

It seems more common at Worlds and Olympics. I remember national teammates Valverde and Rodriguez marking each other out of contention so Rui Costa won one year.

I suspect at least one of the chasing trio was cooked yesterday, based only on the pictures, but it'll be interesting if any admits to bluffing.

Alex321

Guru
The long range non-sprinter last hope attac k rarely succeeds, does it? When did it last?

It seems more common at Worlds and Olympics. I remember national teammates Valverde and Rodriguez marking each other out of contention so Rui Costa won one year.

I suspect at least one of the chasing trio was cooked yesterday, based only on the pictures, but it'll be interesting if any admits to bluffing.

Well at the previous olympics, Keisenhofer won in a long range attack.

But that was at least partly because some of the others didn't realise she was still out ahead - much more likely at the Olympics than other races, because of no radios being allowed.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Cofidis rider, Victor Lafay in the Tour last year?

That was different in that the others didn't mark each other out and not chase. They chased, but miscalculated. I recall Wout being highly miffed.

There was a finish at Paris Roubaix (mens) a quite a few years ago that was a bit like that. I think a group declined to chase because they didn't want to tow a better sprinter to the finish. I remember watching a breakdown of the race, with an explanation of what was going on in various riders' heads at the time. Can't remember the year or the details. Mid 20-teens.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well at the previous olympics, Keisenhofer won in a long range attack.

But that was at least partly because some of the others didn't realise she was still out ahead - much more likely at the Olympics than other races, because of no radios being allowed.

I was wondering if that was in Faulkner's head when she didn't celebrate crossing the line. Perhaps she didn't want to "do an Annemiek" and celebrate a non-win?

Last edited:

EckyH

Faulkner timed it perfectly and put in a really powerful and decisive attack and was a deserving winner.
That was by the textbook: when the second group unites with the first group it's the time to do it. And she did. Great.

Another one was around 22km to the finish, when the two British riders reached the group. They didn't just join the group but bypassed it on the left side with higher speed and the rider in the second position accelerated when they reached the front of the group.

Apropos well done: The course designers created a first class course. For me it was never boring to watch and the ascent on Montmartre was just right to be selective without giving advantage to the climbers.

E.

figbat

Slippery scientist

I can understand why the others didn't chase. All the same I don't think it's a good look for the race. My overriding feeling was "Oh FFS".

And it was all the more impressive as the break came straight after a pretty big effort to close the gap to the leading pair. She just kept going! The others almost literally just sat up and watched her go.

Top Bottom