Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The strip light in my kitchen has started to take longer and longer to fire up. I don't know at what point I stop living with it and sort it out.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I just looked in my post box and found a letter stamped "Federal Justice Department" Fortunately, I knew it was my Criminal Records Check that I need for work. Because of the nature of my work I had to get an "Extended check" and to my surprise this included a check of the UK Criminal records; I haven't lived in the UK for about a quarter of a century.

It shows that I have no criminal record. I knew this already so why am I relieved?

In the UK, if you think the wrong thoughts you can get it recorded.

kitty doesn't like the salmon recipe cat food :stop: she must have been spoiled by the real salmon she's received in the past :hungry:

Gwylan

Veteran
The strip light in my kitchen has started to take longer and longer to fire up. I don't know at what point I stop living with it and sort it out.

It's got your attention.
If it's old technology fluorescent replace it. The control gear doesn't really like the starting mode.
If it's a 5 foot or bigger and it has one, replace the starter too.

If it's under unit lighting expect to replace all of the lamps. Their life expectancy is pretty uniform. That way, at least they will be all the same colour temperature. If that sort of thing bothers you.

Trivia alert: in the late '90s one of the world's biggest fluorescent starter plants was in Costa Rica.

Do be careful of the myths around LED energy saving replacements. Including life claims.
The payback is measured in millennia.

My opinions, based on some, limited fact and experience ...

Top Bottom