Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's been a warm and sunny day here chez Casa Reynard.

I had a quiet weekend doing not terribly much. The only thing I did of note was to bake a batch of apple & cinnamon pastries. Have not been sleeping well, as my right knee has decided to be sore / stiff.

Spent the morning doing paperwork, and then spent an afternoon visiting with a friend. The main reason for this is that she's fostering the cat that I am thinking of homing, and while we did have a damn good chinwag, I also spent nearly an hour with the cat.

What seemed a very promising first meeting last week is now not looking quite so good. The cat was fine initially and wants to interact, but she walloped me twice for no apparent reason today, then sat right at the back of her pen while I sat in a camping chair, reading. She wants to be friendly (she looks at you and eye blinks) and comes when you shake the treat packet, but at the same time, she also doesn't particularly want you in her personal space (aeroplane ears, lashing tail, staying out of range). Temperament-wise, she's coming across as being rather Jekyll & Hyde.

She also went for my friend as we were leaving her pen, and so at the moment, any decision regarding my taking her on is being put on hold. We will try this again in a week's time, and make a decision then. My friend and I now both suspect she was surrendered to the rescue because she was taking chunks out of people and hissing at them, rather than the reason that was given at the time, which was human allergies.

Anyways, time to feed the cat, and then it will be time to feed me.

Gunk

Guru
Came out very well

IMG_4394.jpeg

tyred

Legendary Member
Home again after a rather rough and slower than usual crossing. We were also late of leaving Port Ellen in the first place as there were two no-shows and they waited a while to give them a chance, but they still didn't appear or answer their phone. They will have to wait until Friday for the next sailing!

Feeling tired now so will have an early night and sort washing out in the morning.

I got caught off guard by nosey downstairs neighbour who was obviously fishing to see what I had been doing for the past few days and had to listen to the usual moanfest of nonsense. I wish he'd get a hobby like everyone else instead of trying to interfere and gossip about everyone else. I basically have a checkpoint outside my front door.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Gin is just rectified spirit with some flavouring added.Vodka is often sold with no flavouring but the traditional flavouring for gin is juniper.
Gin can be made from almost any fermentable base and the local cheese producers here make gin from fermented whey and some mysterious local herbs for flavour.
The local joke is they have not yet found a use for the cow farts.

Malt whisky is a different distilling process and also requires maturation in oak casks for a minimum of three years
The small so-called craft distillers obviously prefer gin or vodka because it can be sold straight from the still so no capital required to warehouse for a lengthy period.

Trying Google to check and whisky distilleries make a base spirit to turn into Gin so they have some ready cash without the maturation period required to make whisky.

Ripple

Veteran
Freshers week at the uni ... one girl had so much alcohol and drugs that paramedics had to perform CPR on her.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The daily hot chocolate has just been had.

I did have to put a garden waste recycling bin back where it belongs when I went out this afternoon - not mine, but my next door neighbour's which had been left blocking my pathway. Other than that sod all has been done except for a bike ride in the afternoon sunshine & warmth.

Mike_P

Guru
ITs crazy solution to differing office systems almost worked today except for the minor problem of not being able to login to MS office.
Creakless ebike to Sainsbury's this evening, it was the chainring bolts. Yellow label mackeral fillets dated for tomorrow picked up amongst a not too heavy rucksack load. Static caravans were being removed from the showground, the HGVs accompanied by vans with flashing wide load lights. For some reason they starting to queue on the right hand side of the road so it was a case of right hand running.
That was followed by a Co-op trek to use the weeks vouchers including 40p off apples (8 British apples for £1.20 consequently).

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It is. So many religions and all of them convinced they are right.

I didn't notice any difference to what I'm familiar with other than slightly different wording to the Lord's Prayer.

No youngsters whatsoever though. I was probably the only one below 60. At home, because so much of what is done in rural areas for children in terms of youth clubs and games etc. is done by Churches, there is still a youthful element at Church. It's hard to see how churches can be sustained long term.

Our numbers were down in our parish, but started to pick back up again. But we are on the border, full on Anglicans are across the river from our diocese. But the American Episcopal Church got it's apostolic succession from the non-juring bishops of the Scottish Episcopal Church, because the British were still sore about the whole revolution thing. In The States, there are a lot of congregational non-denominational churches that have sprung up, that seem to bring in a good number of people. They also get a lot of the youth, but we are gaining back people due to a lot of the behaviour of some religions vis-a-vis politics, as well as some of the larger churches seeing parishioners as a checkbook.

Top Bottom