Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Brock has made more mess. I am changing my strategy. Instead of putting back what he has kindly dug out, I put the loose compost in large bags. This is in the hope that once he has dug out all the compost, he, or she, will be able to find worms in the usual places. Then I can refill the bins.

He has also left a deposit in one of the borders. I think I will leave this donation where it is, and that maybe him marking the territory. Would that put off other badgers? I spoke briefly to one of my neighbours. She said she would not want to be that close to a badger. I did not have much choice about assisting it to get out of the compost bin, and I think it was more frightened of me, than I was of it.

What would your reaction have been?

Had a lovely luncheon of a tiger roll filled with Polish sausage and cheese, plus a pear, a nectarine and two :cuppa:

Picked the ripe tomatoes, and I have enough to make a nice ragu for pasta. I think I shall use some of the pork mince that I bought in Tesco last weekend. Full price - a rarity for me, but half a kilo is only £2.50 so very good value compared to beef mince. I've been watching the "Pasta Grannies" on the Book of Faces, and they use a lot of pork mince. I am thinking of treating myself to the tie-in cook book as I love Italian food.

After, I went walnut furkling. Did three trees and accumulated four bicycle miles and half a pannier of nuts.

Parental unit was conveyed to the quack to book a flu jab appointment.

Now sat down with a nice :cuppa:

A task for later this evening is cooking the beef joint I took out of the freezer. It was one of the few items that survived the shenanigans back in June and spent some time holidaying in a friend's freezer. I will put Madam Lexi to work on some quality control prior to the cooking process.

tom73

Guru
Turned out to be a very nice warm afternoon come late afternoon it soon cooled down. Puffer body warmer was called for by the time i walked Charlie then early call to the pub for date night. As it’s a school night for Mrs 73 and she a few things to do for work tonight. On way out just to look picked up Christmas Day menu 58. 99 3 courses. They can’t cooked good none Christmas Day food. So think I will give it a miss.

tyred

Legendary Member
I have looked up Ballycastle on my road map of Europe.

I can remember visiting Ballina, but not what was there. It was a railway enthusiasts' holiday, so could it have been the bog railway?

I should maybe have specified but I was sailing from Ballycastle in co. Antrim which is a long way away from Ballina. The Mayo Ballycastle is a lovely little village surrounded by some very interesting scenery. The good thing is that it doesn't get the volume of tourists some places get.

The Antrim Ballycastle is a largr (ish) provincial town, ferry port and is also surrounded by beautiful scenery but it attracts a lot of touroids due to the proximity of the Giant's Causeway.

tyred

Legendary Member
In Port Charlotte YH now, I very much took the scenic route to get here. I had wondered last time I was here where the road which leads on past the Ardbeg distillery went as it doesn't seem to marked on any maps. I decided to find out and it led me after about 10 miles to a closed gate but it was an interesting route though.

I also went out the Mull of Oa. I managed to make the relatively short distance between Port Ellen and Port Charlotte into a 56 mile ride.

Weather was nice if a bit windy until I got to Bowmore where it started to rain.

The ferry people must have snagged my rear quick release lever on something when then they were loading or unloading the bike as I pulled the wheel out of the dropouts riding away from the pier. (Or maybe I'm just a super powerful rider🤔) Good job it wasn't the front wheel and I suppose one should check these things in the circumstances.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm glad they label everything here so we know what they are.. I thought it was a CD player.

IMG_20240913_191821.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Rail tickets have been collected - I decided on the walk into town and collected from there. All the Cafe Nero freebies on the Octopus app had been claimed so no decent large hot chocolate to be had and I ended up with a fairly disappointing regular one from Greggs instead.
When I got home my Garmin watch was showing 5.99 miles so had to walk 2/3rds of the way up the garden and back until it registered exactly 6 miles to satisfy my mild OCD about that sort of thing.

Top Bottom