Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Don't want to annoy you too much, but this is the BBC forecast for round here for the next week & a bit :laugh:
View attachment 742668

So thats rain by Thursday given its general inaccuracy beyond a day or two

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Large basket rotating with spuddies inside, so I'm guessing a spinner. Was your great² grandad involved in the Bavarian revolution?

He may well have been, as they were quite close to Frankfurt, and apparently came over here soon thereafter. Probably more like his father. They were in Wasserloss, I am told. American railroads came over to recruit people to settle the Midwest, so they would have some reason to stop, I suppose. So they came to the eponymously named Germantown, never moved much farther than Peoria. Last group of my forebears to come here, the others were here since the British, as they were here for the first census in 1791. That is quite an old family in these parts, for European-Americans.

Would this be her?
It looks like it. It was about 1988/89.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Strange it is not actually raining and very little wind.
Calmac winter timetables are out but they do not come into effect till the very end of October. Mixed reactions from the local ferry committee as it is predominantly the small MV Loch Frisa which had problems last winter coping with the volume of traffic. Good enough sea boat as she seemed to cope quite well in bad weather but just not big enough.

When I went out yesterday a couple were sheltering in the nearby phone box which has no door. The man had only a jersey and shorts and it had been raining all day so why bother sheltering? There was no nearby car they could have come from so they must have walked in the pouring rain to find shelter. Strange.

Need to go and open negotiations with the local Calmac office to try to get a car booking for early September when I have a hospital appointment in Glasgow. This trip will take at least 3 days and fills me with terror.
The speed and volume of city motorway traffic with complicated junctions is now beyond me. Ten years ago I could have tackled it but not now as my reactions have slowed. Local runs are ok but no further than Oban.
Patient Transport run by the NHS should really be named Patient NonTransport as their main function is to tell people they will not get transport.

I felt well enough yesterday to go out on my bike. The weather was sunny but there were quite strong gusty winds. The first couple of miles was into a head wind which slowed me down a bit but I carried on. Turning east eased the wind effect and I was surprised by how fast I was going. I decided to visit my brother as I was feeling much better than I have been. I'm not sure if the iron tablets have helped or if it is just a placebo effect. I did 13 miles and didn't feel tired afterwards. My blood pressure has gone up this morning.It was a bit low previously.

Top Bottom