Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The wind's picked up quite a bit. I've just put a load of washing out on the whirlygig and wondering whether it'll be dry by the time I've had a shower and shave.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I remember in my early years in Germany, ca 2001-2002 we watched an old Bavrian farmer and his wife harvesting potatoes: they were on a rather ancient machine towed by a tractor, sorting out the spuds as the machine dug them up. As they approached the end of the field the farmer got off, walked to the tractor, and took the rope off the steering wheel. Then he turned the contraption around, pointed it back up the field, reattached rope, waited for the tractor to pass and climbed on the harvester, then carried on sorting potatoes with his wife.

I remember those machines but not that way of working so mebbe It is not so much just the machines that are ancient but me as well.:ohmy:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Definitely vintage. Production stopped in 1956 although there are still a few around in regular use.

There was a guy in Craignure who restored one and took it to all the local shows. He drove down the road to Bunessan Show 40 miles away as well as somebody in the same area who had a steam traction engine but that was transported on a low loader. Somewhere I have photo so must try to find it.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Designs vary but it would be some sort of harvester. A potato spinner is basically a big wheel with tines that basically scatter the drill and the potatoes are then picked up from the ground by hand.

We had a regular gang of casuals who came to the the farm for just that. In addition to getting paid cash they also got a “ boiling “ of spuds every working day to take home.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Tattie picking, it's a long time since I've done that!

I remember we got a “ tattie holiday “ from school supposedly to go doing just that. It was I think a hang over from war time when there were fewer adults available since as many as possible were on war work.
No idea it this was done in city schools but in semi rural Maddiston it was certainly done.

Windle

Über Member
I remember we got a “ tattie holiday “ from school supposedly to go doing just that. It was I think a hang over from war time when there were fewer adults available since as many as possible were on war work.
No idea it this was done in city schools but in semi rural Maddiston it was certainly done.

We used to have a week off in October which was always referred to as tattie picking week, I'm not sure what the real reason was, probably just 'half term'.

tyred

Legendary Member
We had a regular gang of casuals who came to the the farm for just that. In addition to getting paid cash they also got a “ boiling “ of spuds every working day to take home.

It was usually children of about 8+ (myself included) who did it here. The older ones would have emptied the baskets into the trailer for the younger ones.

If it was too wet to dig potatoes, you went and cut the rushes to thatch the potato pits. That was probably the worst job ever, ankle deep in water carrying bundles of soaking wet rushes. Tractors sunk in up the axles. Finger bar mowers were never designed to work in those types of conditions and keep clogging up.

With the acreage that most potato farmers are putting in nowadays, it would be simply impossible to work like that. You would never get anyone to do that type of work nowadays anyway.

Last edited:

postman

Squire
The car is loaded up with diy equipment,all ready to assault Manchester tomorrow.We even managed to get the folding ladder in across ways,that is going to be needed,even i can't get to the ceilings where i will be cutting in with emulsion paint.Good news,son roped in his best mate to take down the rubbish diy wardrobe.Then they took down the anaglytpta and discovered cracks holes missing plaster.Never mind this time tomorrow it will look so much cleaner and better.I will report back tomorrow with pictures i think.

Top Bottom